Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Screw Seattle and socal, I hope they get the weakest matchups like T&T vs Iran.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    I'd rather take a pass on Levi Stadium

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Has anybody else had a problem posting comments on the mlssoccer.com website? Did they shut all of the comments sections down or is it just me? Who did i piss off this time?:(

I wasn't trolling, i swear!:D

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #9829 JazzyJ, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Yes, I was shut down a few years ago. Pretty sure it was because I was a bit critical of some of the things Matt Doyle wrote about the Quakes, and he didn't like it. I have no other explanation. Ever since then, I get a message about my comment being "moderated" or something, and it never appears.

Basically it was because he made all of these disparaging remarks about the Quakes roster - he made it sound like about the worst in MLS history, and that's how he explained 2018. The roster's not great, but I think the biggest problem in 2018 was the coach. Then when the Quakes went on a roll in 2019, he started writing articles praising players like Yueill, Espinoza, Judson and Vako (when he got really hot in 2019). So which one is it - the Quakes have the just about the worst roster in MLS history, or there are some good players after all. Apparently he didn't like being called out on it, and was unable to ever admit that he was wrong in the tiniest little bit.

Beerking repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they won't allow any fans into the stadiums to watch games and open up the stadiums soon, I think clubs are going to start selling as much as possible while they can because nothing is coming in.

Getting this much money for any American player much less a 19 year old is unprecedented...

Pretty cool article below!

“Viva l'America!”

[​IMG]
    Unprecedented transfer window for Americans on the move in Europe

[​IMG]

A flurry of activity ended what has been an unprecedented window for American men on the move in Europe.

The biggest deal was Roma's move to sign 19-year-old right back Bryan Reynolds from FC Dallas, which will receive a club-record fee when the loan is converted to a permanent transfer in six months. The terms, per Roma:

-- Transfer fee of 6.75 million euros ($8.12 million);

-- Conditional payments of 5.65 million euros ($6.82 million);

-- Sell-on fee of 15 percent in excess of Roma paid FC Dallas.

Reynolds started just one game in his first three seasons at FC Dallas but was a revelation after breaking into the starting lineup following Reggie Cannon's transfer to Portugal's Boavista in August 2020.

For most of January, Juventus was tipped as the likely destination for Reynolds, who was called in the U.S. U-23 national team camp but returned home after he tested positive for COVID-19.

“We actually had a bidding war among several Champions League teams, which is a new dynamic," CEO and chairman Clark Hunt said in a media call on Monday. "I think that says a lot about where our academy is, but it also speaks to the quality of the American player. With Major League Soccer helping, we’re starting to develop world-class players through our academies.”

Other FC Dallas products in Europe include midfielder Weston McKennie (now at Italian champion Juventus after signing with Germany's Schalke 04 as a free agent when he turned 18 in 2016) and center back Chris Richards (who spent one season in the FC Dallas academy and never played for the FC Dallas first team and moved to Hoffenheim Monday on loan from German champion Bayern Munich).

For the U.S. national team, Richards' move is perhaps the most significant as he will likely earned regular playing time in the Bundesliga that he could not get at Bayern. Hoffenheim is coached by Sebastian Hoeness, Richards' coach last season at Bayern Munich II, the 2020 3. Liga champion. (Hoeness is the son of former German international Dieter Hoeness and nephew of Uli Hoeness, another former German international who is the former Bayern Munich president.)

[​IMG]

Arriola and Dike on loan. Two players who played in the USA's 7-0 win over Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday night moved on loan to English (second-tier) Championship teams: D.C. United's Paul Arriola (Swansea City) and Orlando City's Daryl Dike Orlando City (Barnsley).

Arriola's move had been rumored, but Dike's was a surprise. The 20-year-old Oklahoman debuted for the USA on Sunday night. Indeed, the cap qualified him for a work permit under the new British rules.

Arriola and Dike brought to seven the number of players who have played for the USA or been in the senior national team camp in the last year and moved to or within Europe in January. In all, 12 current or former U.S. internationals moved in January.

Destination Turkey. Three players were involved in deals with Turkish clubs on Monday:

-- DeAndre Yedlin left England after six seasons, the last four and a half at Newcastle United, which agreed to let the right back sign with Galatasaray without an up-front transfer fee. Yedlin, who was third on the Magpies' depth chart at right back, would have been a free agent at the end of June.

[​IMG]

-- Tyler Boyd moved from Besiktas on loan to Sivasspor, 14th in the 21-team Super Lig, after sitting out the last three months of the fall season because Besiktas chose not to register him with league authorities at the close of the transfer window because it had too many foreign players in its squad. Boyd has spent two years in the Super Lig (eight goals in 39 games).

-- Arda Bulut, who started at Stanford University, signed with Kasimpasa, which turned around and loaned him to Karacabey Belediyespor, a mid-table team in its group in the TFF 2. Lig, the third tier of Turkish soccer. Bulut signed with Louisville City after Stanford postponed the 2020 fall season but never played in the USL Championship.

January signings (U.S. men's national team players):

Brenden Aaronson (20), Philadelphia Union to Red Bull Salzburg (AUT), transfer

Paul Arriola (25), D.C. United to Swansea City (ENG D2), loan

Tyler Boyd (26), Besiktas (TUR) to Sivasspor (TUR), loan

Mix Diskerud (30), Man. City (ENG) to Denizlispor (TUR), transfer

Daryl Dike (20), Orlando City to Barnsley (ENG D2), loan

Duane Holmes (26), Derby County (ENG D2) to Huddersfield Town (ENG D2), transfer

Mark McKenzie (21), Philadelphia Union to Genk (BEL), transfer

Jordan Morris (26), Seattle Sounders to Swansea City (ENG D2), loan

Chris Richards (20), Bayern Munich (GER) to Hoffenheim (GER), loan

Sebastian Soto (20), Telstar (NED D2) to Norwich City (ENG D2), loan return

Andrew Wooten (31), Philadelphia Union to Admira Wacker (AUT), free transfer

DeAndre Yedlin (27), Newcastle United (ENG) to Galatasaray (TUR), transfer

January signings (Other U.S. men's players):

*Arda Bulut (21), Louisville City to Kasimpasa (TUR), free transfer

Mael Corboz (26), Go Ahead Eagles (NED D2) to SC Verl (GER D3), free transfer

Bryan Reynolds (19), FC Dallas to Roma (ITA), loan-transfer

Joe Scally (18), NYCFC to Bor. M'Gladbach (GER), transfer

Indiana Vassilev (19), Aston Villa (ENG) to Cheltenham Town (ENG D4), loan

Henry Wingo (25), Molde, Norway, to Ferencvaros (HUN), transfer

*Loaned to Karacabey Belediyespor (Turkey D3).

Beerking and mjlee22 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will never be forgotten! May they Rest in Peace!

[​IMG]

RIP [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Never Forgotten God Bless [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beerking, mjlee22 and Quakes05 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Brady and Ronnie be drinking similar juice

sacrxy repped this.
  9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Guerrero's Special Very Organic Juicy Juice

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In SA 30 Years Ago: Rising stars Friedel, Milbrett and Reyna -- and Osiander's second Olympic quest

Our Feb. 11, 1991 issue, with Brazilian star Zico on cover, included Soccer America's Freshmen of the Year selections and the high school player of the year who all lived upon to their potential. Also in the news was Lothar Osiander, who returned as U.S. Olympic coach and succeeded again to qualify the USA, with both Brad Friedel and Claudio Reyna.
    [​IMG]

Our College Freshmen of the Year: UCLA's Brad Friedel and the University of Portland's Tiffeny Milbrett went on to play for the USA at the Olympics and World Cups.
    [​IMG]
    Future USA World Cup captain Claudio Reyna was the High School Player of the Year.

[​IMG]
    Lothar Osiander at the beginning of 1991 was reassigned as Olympic coach after having guided the USA to the 1988 Games in South Korea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read today that Don Garber saId MLS is set to lose $1 billion in revenue due to coronavirus pandemic.

I’m not doubting this pandemic could be killing the league. If it continues. soon enough , I’m wondering though just how much longer owners will want to sustain such losses? I mean $1 billion dollars a year among 24 teams two years in a row can’t be good.

On the other hand, in losing $1 billion he is suggesting and admitting that in the past, the league and clubs have actually earned that much in revenue but I’ve never once heard or read how much revenue or profits MLS owners make. I constantly hear about losses in non pandemic years but never hear about profitability. Makes you wonder just how much truth there is to all these “losses”...

12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t forget, those tax loses offset income for these billionaires. Divide the $1B by 27 clubs, and that’s a deductible $37M per club. Plus $37M is about 10% of the current franchise value.

Would that scare the owners? I dunno. If Tottenham is currently valued at $1.5B, then there is a lot of upside to hanging in there.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah and I think they got some money back from the state or the federal government if I’m not mistaken. I think the LA Lakers got millions last year and everyone made a stink about it.

Still seems that Garber is quick to point out the losses but very reluctant and rarely points out profits if and when they are there.

Pandemic notwithstanding , the same song and dance is getting old. I mean you can only cry wolf so many times.

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9839 SoccerMan94043, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Not sure where to put this, but neat! Jesse Marsch talking tactics.

Two fun statements:
    1) best chance to score is within 10 seconds of getting the ball
    2) best chance to recover a lost ball is within 8 seconds.

Also some great leaderships tips.

NedZ repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #9840 JazzyJ, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Hooray for route 1 soccer!

Only problem with that strategy - to the extent someone turns it into a strategy, is that it requires that you make high-risk, high-reward plays (e.g. a long pass to a forward). That means there's a good chance you lose possession, and when you don't have the ball - you don't score, and the other team can score. So let's say that you've reduced your average possession time by half by playing route 1. You'll get more possessions, each of a shorter duration and with a greater chance to score, but you are also giving your opponent much more of the ball, which gives them more time to score. So bottom line, it's not that simple, which is why every team doesn't play 10 seconds or bust route 1 soccer.

Caveat: I didn't listen to the podcast so it's possible he put that "10 second" stat in context.

I have some fuzzy half-baked recollection that this stat was the basis for more route 1 in Premier League some time ago but I may be mistaken.

16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He talks in depth about high pressing and the roles of everyone when they are chasing the ball vs. gaining possession. It's a good video to watch imo.

NedZ and JazzyJ repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Another example of an MLS veteran turned coach who’s done well, and another reason that Jesse need not believe he has to bring in a non-MLS intl to coach the team.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you don't have 70 minutes to watch the entire Jesse Marsch video, try this summary:

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just caught the first match of the “She Believes” women’s tournament in Orlando. One of the announcers was our very own Danielle Slaton. She’s awesome. I’d love for her and Danger to do our announcing and send Pasarelli out to pasture.

GO Quakesfans!!

- Mark

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not that I care about Morris or Seattle but this is why you don’t loan out players.

Going forward , MLS clubs should start rethinking the loaning out of their marquee players. Selling them is one thing but loan with the risk of injury does neither the team or the player any good....

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is absolutely going to be a hot topic. And probably a correct assessment. Thats gonna put a damper on potential loan moves for more than a few clubs. Outright purchases or go home

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be moving the World Cup to England as of two years ago.

mjlee22, Quakes05 and Beerking repped this.
  25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States