Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember back in the NASL days a star player on the Sounders who was from England used the word "colored" in an interview with the local paper when referencing black players. He initially took some heat for the remark, and in his defense he explained that is how black people were referred to where he was from.
    I realize you are all shocked. Shocked to hear that the local paper actually conducted interviews with soccer players!

TyffaneeSue and don gagliardi repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How can you be sure of that without reading the coach's contract?

3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    They might have to pay out the contract but they won’t be stuck with him coaching the team.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  6. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It's not OK, but if my coworker calls me a bad name I don't like it. If my boss calls me a bad name it's a much worse situation for me.

I once worked at a company where an executive would often quote rap lyrics. He had a knack for choosing poetic lyrics that were relevant to the situation and respectful if not insightful. If he had ever quoted a rap lyric that contained a racial slur I'm certain he'd be fired (and probably end up settling out of court I'm sure).

7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So WHY is it that one "make you feel bad" and the other is a "much worse situation"?

Honestly trying to understand why there is a differentiation between them.

8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, from what I understand, he didn't call anyone a bad name, he was singing a rap song that had a "bad" word in it. I would say there is a bit of a difference there.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #8909 falvo, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Just like players would be immediately suspended for cheating , drugs or scandals , why should Man City be allowed to continue playing in the current competition phase of the Champions League? Didn’t they cheat or break the rules just for this tournament?

If that’s the case why are they getting a free ride and allowed to play and make a profit? Forget about the next two years , what about now?

BCaso18 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  10. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The relationship is more significant and important.

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Still not good.

12. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really don't understand why it would be "more significant and important". Do YOU consider it that way? or do you feel your boss considers it that way? At the end of the day the "significance" of anything is our own choosing. I choose how significant something is or is not. No one has the right to make that choice for me. This is just my opinion and yours is just as valid.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    `If you're not a native speaker of a language, at what point are you expected to know which words are verboten?

DotMPP and Beerking repped this.
  14. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    That’s his best defense I think. I’m surprised fcc didn’t have him take a racial sensitivity class after his first reported incident though.

He brought the team to a slavery monument to teach them to overcome adversity. I think players complained about that too (rightfully).

15. He sang a rap song? Did the song use the ..ger version or the common rap version ..ga?
    If so, when one isnot a rap literate, did he realize it was a deformed use of the offensive ..er slur used by "normal" racists?
    Anyway, if it was a rap song and we all know this ..gga word is thrown around by black people in rap songs as candy at halloween, how is he supposed to understand that it's offensive to sing it. Anyway, Ron Jans musical taste isnot rap, so who the f.ck played the song in the first place? The guys who then felt insulted by Ron singing the lyrics with it? If the lyrics offend you, then the f.ck donot play that shit "music" in the locker room in the first place.

DotMPP repped this.
  16. Here's a twitter by a black person with the word in it.
    https://twitter.com/jodecicry/status/
    [​IMG]
    Shakira
    @jodecicry

Finally watching Midsommar and idk what happens to the ********** yet but I have no sympathy for him cause he chose to go to Sweden with a group of white people
    3:13 p.m. · 15 feb. 2020·Twitter for iPhone
    This word is thrown around by the very people offended by it....and Jans should know better? He just blended in the crowd I would say.

Beerking repped this.
  17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It is strange. My understanding is that they spent more on players than they were allowed to. So that obviously gives them an advantage over the competition. Why did it take so long to come to a conclusion though? Why allow them to play any games if they’re in violation of the rules?

My guess is the average fan would be more upset if they kicked them out right in the middle of the tournament. If they were allowed to start the tournament they should be allowed to finish the tournament. It’s FIFAs problem for letting them play in the first place.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it’s more UEFA as opposed to FIFA.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Fire the rap singer for using the word in his "music". The double standard sickens me, the "it's ok if we say it but you can't" mentality is divisionary and idiotic. :mad:

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, maybe the singer couldn’t care less who sings his songs.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I was a Girl Scout leader for a fifth grade troop, we went over to the K-3 school to perform a dance using prerecorded music. After the girls finished the prepared dance, one of them switched the player to a radio station playing rap, and the girls started dancing to that. I don't think any of us could understand the lyrics -- but within a few minutes the custodian ran over and glared at me "the girls shouldn't be listening to THAT" and turned it off.

I still don't know what he heard, but to think I could have been fired from my volunteer job!

DotMPP repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your story reminded me of one of my own. In college in St. Louis, about 35 years ago, I was friends with a young black woman about my age with whom I worked at my part-time job. She invited me to her wedding, and it turned out I was the only white person there. A lot of hip hop was being played, and as a result I ended up hitting it off with her grandfather, who, like me, was a fan of the blues. He kept ranting to me about what horrible music the young folks were listening to these days, oblivious to the fact I was the same age as his granddaughter. :)

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. :ROFLMAO:

Is that your family name, Gagliardi?
    In the 1950 my parents in Rotterdam had friends who repatriated from Indonesia/the Dutch Indies to the Netherlands and around 1960 they emigrated to the States.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes.