Other Teams and MLS....stuff [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember back a few weeks when there was a discussion about rasicm in soccer due to a friendly between AC Milan and Pro Patria in Italy where the entire Milan team walked off the pitch to protest racist abuse by the Pro Patria supporters directed toward Milan's Kevin Prince-Boateng? Well, the same thing happened Jozy Altidore during a Dutch Cup match between AZ Alkmaar and Den Bosch. The only difference this time was when the referee wanted to call the match, Altidore insisted that the match continue and AZ Alkmaar won 5-0.

3. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah....I saw that....good for him.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal, Newcastle and whoever milking a player agent connection is completely different than an owner and coach publicly announcing that its their policy to sign a certain color/race/religion/musical preference.

5. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand

6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also depends on what the labor laws are for the UK. It might be well within a teams rights to discriminate however they want (although unlikely). At the same time the team isn't 100% French players.

The whole deal with Chivas is IF they go through with what they want to do. Right now they can spout off all they want, but it's somewhat meaningless until they actually follow through with it.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    DC officially sold Andy Najar too today i believest

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    15 to 32, d1ddy and UPinSLC repped this.
  11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be a little crazy, but I think it's a great move for him. He's going to have to prove he belongs in the starting 11, if he's not able to I think he'll be able to be a solid impact sub. He's a pretty class player, with the only thing I ever disliked was his constant complaining to the refs. He's never been all that well rounded of a player, but the things he was good at, he's truly excelled at.

12. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering where Posh was gonna move the family.

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's only going there to get one more trophy from a different country. PSG is in 1st place with a +26 GD. Ibra is tearing it up, and adding Beckham to the rank should just ensure that they win the league. I'd be more impressed if Beck's final "challenge" was to join a middle of the table team and help them get to the top.

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSG is still in the CL, and I'm guessing he's more interested in winning that then winning League 1. PSG certainly isn't a CL powerhouse when you look at a lot of the teams still in it.

15. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I read that he was donating his salary to charity. While on the surface that's admirable, I started thinking that maybe the money angle for him is spreading his "brand" to Paris for future business ventures. Beckham berets anyone?

16. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't have to donate his whole salary to spread his influence there. On a mostly unrelated note, I just became friends with a footballer who plays in League One (or whatever it's called) in France, I think. FC Sochaux-something? That was kind of random...

17. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this another one of your dates, like the guy who claimed to have been involved with bringing RSL to Utah?

UPinSLC repped this.
  18. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's likely a move to keep him from having to pay exorbitant French taxes (like 75%) on his other income, which is where he makes most of his money anyway.

Speaking of Beckham, check out this letter supposedly from an 8th division Norwegian team to Beckham's agent, soliciting Beckham's services. I don't know if it's real or not but it's definitely hilarious.

[​IMG]

2nd Mouse and georg repped this.
  19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had read that the tax isn't necessarily enforced. Regardless of the reasons, it's still a nice thing to do, and it certainly won't hurt his brand in the slightest. It seems like lately that higher profile players are in it more for trying to cash out on a big check rather than playing for the love of the game. It's a nice change of pace to see someone donate the pay instead of adding it to their already large wealth.

20. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You have to give Beckham credit for such a generous move, regardless of the underlying reason.

It does give him a new angle on his complaining the ref - 'Mon dieu Ref! You're taking food out of the mouths of the poor orphans with that bad call..'

21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Sochaux-Montbéliard. Best team in Franche-Comté. They're set to avoid relegation again this year. Probably. Gonna be awesome.

That's where Charlie Davies was playing when he had his accident. Also, Red Bull Arena looks a lot like Sochaux's stadium

22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not saying much when the only other two cities of note are Besancon and Belfort, both soccer powerhouses just waiting to breakout and challenge for the Ligue 1 championship.

Franche-Comte, french for BF Nowhere. Kind of like living in Delta, Utah.

23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Yeah, I guess that joke needed a little context to land.

I think Besancon and the amateur club in Belfort would probably be pretty ecstatic with a division 3 championship.

24. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I was thinking, some of these people need a life....why in the world would these people know anything about French recreational soccer

25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Not that anybody who posts regularly on an MLS discussion board can ever claim that someone else "needs a life," and I don't feel the need to justify my interests to anyone, but I used to live there.

Lizzie Bee repped this.