Other team news IV

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Idk, its just so strange to dominate like that in every team you come and you are couple of years younger..
    Im not saying its not possible..
    Maradona, Pele, Messi and CR were not so good at that age with elders..

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's promising that Youssoufa has dominated despite not being extraordinarily large or powerful. He is quick and strong, but not implausibly so for his age. I listened to a more extended discussion here:
    https://bundesligabulletin.substack.com/p/bundesliga-previews-1-inside-dortmund

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I haven't listened to that clip yet as it seems quite long but I'm not that concerned about the age thing whatever the truth may be.
    First, there is a limit to how much older he could be because his mother was already very young. Secondly, even if he'd be the same age as his opponents, he's still breaking all these records. If anything, it's the young age that is preventing him from getting a pro contract.

4. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't see a lot of reason to doubt his age too much, some kids develop physically very early, and not just kids from an African background. Look at Wayne Rooney when he was 16 for example. Already a tank.

In any case, even if his age is wrong, Moukoko is at most 17/18 and killing it at u19/20 level. A huge prospect either way.

5. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Bayern like to intimidate with these high scores. We must not be intimidated.

6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Our head coach is a perennial underachiever, so it doesn't matter.

7. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Ha, we couldnt get ahead of them at their lowest in a decade, we r not gonna get ahead of them now or anytime soon, specially with the likes of favre

BvB_Peon repped this.
  8. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    No, with Favre we don’t have a chance. I still don’t understand how he so easily got away after the two embarrassing games against Mainz and Hoffenheim. That’s the difference between us and Bayern, while we give up easily, they press and fight to the end. Even without 3 starters (Alaba, Davies and Thiago) they play with the same pace

BvB_Peon repped this.
  9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I guess it's an additional advantage in the early stage of the season for Bayern that they had their last competitive games a month ago while it's 3 months for the other teams (besides the Cup game). We'll see how demanding the season will be for them after a shorter break but it's clearly theirs to lose. That was already expected after them winning the treble and adding Sane though.

10. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Its a mystery how he survive Paderborn at home and that epic fail 0:3 in the first half..

BvB_Peon repped this.
  11. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    When were they at their lowest in a decade?

BvB_Peon repped this.
  12. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kovac season when Dortmund led by 9points and threw it away

BvB_Peon and BVBFNM repped this.
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not expect to be reading that Flick is talking to Götze about joining Bayern. What a strange career

Boandlkramer repped this.
  14. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Bayern are lacking a bit of depth with Thiago and Perisic both going. Gotze would be good cover for Muller.

15. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It would indeed be a strange move and Flick would look like a genius if he could revitalize another career. But according to comments by Flick, that rumour doesn't seem to be true. If he doesn't find a new club soon, then he made such a mess out of it. He might have been in a similar position now even without that Bayern move but it just seems such a waste of talent despite the trophies he got.

After his return, I think he looked best under Bosz in the midfield and from his technical abilities he could offer something close to what Kimmich does. Depth after Thiago left might have made sense.
    I don't understand why Favre mostly saw him as a striker when his creativity from a central position could have offered more to the team. But in that regard it also makes sense why there seems to be such a reluctance against using the Dahoud or Brandt types in midfield.

16. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I thought he only looked good in the second half of the season before last under Favre, despite everyone (including me) wanting to see him play as a #10. I really didn't like him as a deeper lying #8, but I liked how he improved as a (false) striker that season, despite not liking that strategy.

Yeah good point. Maybe he really wants to avoid having a creative central midfielder, although Reus did well at it when we were playing 4-2-3-1. It's strange.

17. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Gotze is no striker, but I don't see why people seem to think he would have thrived in midfield. We never really got to see if he had a great passing range, but he lacks the speed, energy and explosiveness of Dahoud/Brandt. Dahoud is also far better defensively.

Gotze could still do a job as a 10 or an inside forward, in a team with an attacking full back/winger provided they dominate possession.

As for Favre, we know what Favre ball is.
    Play slow passive, safe football, with every man back. Don't rush or make any risky passes don't over commit. Have a physical solid, disciplined defensive midfield. Stick to rigid 4-4-2 defensive formation whenever possible. As the match goes on, by being safe exploit the counter attack to score. After that sit back and hit the team on the counter again.

It's boring, it does not suit the players we have and it does not work at the top level. Crystal Palace use similar tactics, but we have a far more limited team and it allows an average team to punch slightly above their weight. It's what mid table managers like Favre do.

However, you don't win trophies like that. Especially with are personnel. We should be going to dominate matches from the outset.

18. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Gotze is unfortunately history.. He cant play this modern quick football, he is just to slow..
    I was so confused when i saw that reports that Lpool want him, bu i guess that eas just rubbish, he cant play on high level in Germany, how coul he play in faster and more physique league like Premier League?
    Gotze biggest mistake was transfer to Bayern, i wish he had gone to La Liga..
    Today i read Leverkusen wanted back Brandt this summer, wtf? Haha

19. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Maybe my memories about his performances under Bosz aren't the best anymore but I thought he was someone who could at least inject himself into the offense by carrying the ball forward and create space while Witsel+Delaney rely almost entirely on (predictable) passing. They aren't terrible at what they do but their offensive contribution is easier to defend.

And I agree with the issue of pace. Maybe a bit similar to Özil, the game developed in a different direction which is why I think the 10 didn't suit him anymore. For instance, compare him to how dynamic Reus and Brandt are.
    He bulked up and still had the legs for a high workload under Bosz which made me think a midfield position could have been better for him.

20. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Witsel is the worst, because he hides as well. He pulls a Castro or doesn't have the energy to constantly free himself from his marker. I don't think these central midfielders have to be creative, just be able to make space for the pass, pass the ball forward between lines and occasionally carry the ball.

At the end of the day Dahoud and Brandt playing in midfield might not be good enough at the highest level, especially Dahoud. However, it's worth taking the chance. We know for a fact Witsel/Delaney definitely are not. We will finish top 4 no matter what.
    There are slow 10s but they have energy. Even Mata at United can still do things. I think Gotze would have to go to a team, built around him, where there were lots of legs. I can see Gotze going to Bayern again. Bayern seem to be putting the feelers out to see how the fans react. They need a replacement for Thiago too, Gotze would be cheap and not complain too much about being on the bench.

21. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

Unfortunately it's not only Favre that favors Witsel...

22. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flick categorically denied that Bayern is considering Götze.

23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Sadly it seems so. With Witsel starting the majority of our matches we will have another disappointing season.

Our midfield continues to get outplayed every match, but Witsel is doing a great job.

I also don't like the Bellingham signing. We clearly bought him just to sell for a profit. It's not about competing now, but thinking about the money we will make selling him to England.

The Super Cup today. It will be interesting to see how Sane gets on.

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arne Friedrich confirmed Hertha's interest in Götze. They could offer a decent paycheck and playing time in a major city.

25. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’m not opposed to him back in Munich