Other St. Louis Sports Discussion

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Guy Fawkes, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they're wimps. We never insult other teams' players; we just want everybody to hug everyone. Aww, we game somebody else a standing ovation. Aww, another curtain call. That's all nice and cool, and I like it, but I don't feel like we do enough to take the piss out of the other team, which is a lot of fun.

Plus, we never give sh1t to our own players when they need it. So Taguchi shouldn't bee cheered. We don't have to boo him, but he's not good. Also, we should boo every pitcher we have, plus La Russa whenever he comes up.

2. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What will support be like in Saint Louis?

Well Taguchi did save us in Game 2 of NLCS and without him we probably would have lost the series.:p

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and Edmonds was great in 2004. Does that make him good now?

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While you're there, would you suit up Ozzie Smith or Lou Brock?

5. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

I have no clue where you're sitting, but in my section, every player on the other team gets insulted, even though we're in the middle deck. There are a few people in my section who take the time to go through the opposing teams roster before each series to come up with special things to yell for each player.

As for not giving our own players sh1t, you clearly haven't been watching the crowd's response to Kip Wells' performances. Or the fact that the entire St. Louis fan base decided to hate Juan Encarnacion because he isn't a superstar--even though he isn't supposed to be one.

So is hitting .290 coming off the bench. Most bench players have averages in the .240-.250 range. If you don't want to cheer for him, that's your prerogative. But to say he's not good is naive.

Yeah! Let's boo Ryan Franklin, Jason Isringhausen, Braden Looper, Troy Percival, Russ Springer and Adam Wainwright!

That's four relievers with ERAs in the 2s, and two converted starters who are both having solid seasons (Wainwright's ERA is the lowest in the NL since late July). They definitely need to be booed!

????

And why sound "we" boo LaRussa? Because you don't like him? That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't mean "we" have to boo. Some of us actually appreciate the fact that we have a hall of fame manager who's 3rd on the all time wins list.

I think it's probably time for LaRussa to move on, but i see no justification for booing him.

I quoted this one out of order because it's hilarious. I mean, you're trying to rip on Cardinals fans, saying we're soft, then proceed to say that 1) it's cool and 2) you like it. Well, If it's cool, and you like it, then why are you ripping on it? Conversely, if you think we need to do more to take the piss out of the other team, why do decide to go along with what all the other "wimps" do? Oh that's right, because it's cool.:cool:

6. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis

Wouldn't hurt at this point.........in fact maybe Taylor Twellman could play for the Cards until 2009, we might need him too!

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just wait until Thursday to do it.

8. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna

Im a Cardinal fan and I think the best fans in baseball are Red Sox fans, at least they stand up an cheer. We have the quietest fans in the playoffs, its so furstrating when the crowed is not supporting the players like YADI.

The fans on this website act like New York fans
    http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

9. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis

The awesome part about Cards fans is when we cheer. We understand the game and will cheer big the little things, like holding a runner at second with a good throw to third.

That's something that will make us good soccer fans. You don't think it will make the players excited when we get excited by a switch fields that opens up to goal?

10. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna

I think it will make them very excited

11. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess we go to different Cardinal playoff games, because the ones I've been to have had some extremely loud crowds (including one of the Ankiel meltdown games against the Mets - I'd never heard 50,000 people groan in unison before.)

12. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna

I was comparing us to others fans in other stadiums Fenway, Yankee Stadium est.. , not the astros because the have the stupid roof:eek: but compared to those teams were not loud. We maybe loud but, I wish we were louder

13. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I went to the game in which we won the world series- we in the bleachers stood for almost the entire game, but the people behind the backstop never stood once.

And nowadays, NOBODY stands for important at bats. If the bases are loaded, and the count is full, and it's a situation where everybody would have stood at the old Busch, now nobody stands.

The support has gone downhill with the new stadium.

14. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, yeah, that goes without saying. The corporate crowd isn't there to yell themselves hoarse.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have season tickets in the bleachers. You must be in the good section, because it's not like that whatsoever where I'm at.

To be honest, I haven't been there for a while, because I'm at College, but if they've started to do that, then great. We should boo that team every chance we get to let Jocketty and La Russa know that they can't just sign shit players in the offseason and think we can get away with it. Kip Wells and his 6 ERA last year, and what, he's going to take us to the world series?

I simply don't think that we should constantly suck his dick because he's Japanese. He has been better lately, but earlier he was shit and everybody just kept on cheering him whenever he came up and did f all, and made errors in the outfield.

Take everything literally, please!!! First of all, Franklin's been total shit lately. Secondly, Looper has been too. Yes, there may be two or perhaps even three pitchers on the roster that haven't been ABSOLUTE TRASH this year. But every other one has.

I think we should boo him because he and his boyfriend Jocketty, and the owners, decide every year to spend less on players even though we keep pumping in more money to the team. Look at our offseason acquisitions this year. Kip Wells? Are you serious? And anyway, all La Russa ever does is get lucky. What, did he expect Pujols to become the best player in baseball? No. Did they really think Carpenter was going to become the best pitcher in the game for two years? No. They just get lucky. And spend no money on shit players. Last year they just got unbelievably lucky. Yes, I'm a Cardinals fan, but let's face it, we had no business being near the playoffs last year, and there's always a twinge of embarrassment when the World Series championship is mentioned, because we basically made a mockery out of the regular season, stumbled into the playoffs because the rest of our division is absolute trash, and proved the point that the regular season means nothing if you can just get lucky in the playoffs. Yes, I love the Cardinals, I've been a fan since I was born, but let's face it- we are absolute shite, and we shouldn't be. If we'd made any good signings whatsoever, instead of just signing crap players in the offseason, and then signing players who have been released during the regular season, we'd be in the playoffs easily instead of being absolutely embarrassed by the Cubs.

First of all, I AM a Cardinals fan. I'm not ripping on the loyalty, and the standing ovations, and the curtain calls, I'm ripping on our complete lack of ever being critical of our own or, worse, other teams' players. And no, I DON'T go along with what the other "wimps" do, I actually yell things to the players from the bleachers. That's more than anybody else does, and I'm not saying I'm awesome for doing it, I'm just saying that, when they're close and can hear us, we should be abusing them. Not racially, not homophibically, but wittily, and cleverly. If they make an error the previous inning, they shouldn't forget about it for the rest of the series. But nobody does it. We don't have to be Philly fans and throw stuff at them, but we should do more than NOTHING.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Indeed.

[​IMG]

:D

17. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh my god, you JUST did this on the Chicago board. Do we have to deal with this in every goddamn thread? It's NOT funny anymore.

18. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, don't you know that all Cubs fans are good-looking, stylish Ph.D.s? :rolleyes:

19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

The gift that keeps on giving. . . . and it is funny . . . . it will always be funny.

:D

20. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

Yes, in the entire stadium, there's only one good section. And that's where my seats are. :rolleyes:

OK, so you haven't been there, and therefore have no frame of reference. thanks for chiming in. The booing of players has been going on all season.

OK, so now you're blaming LaRussa for signing players? I didn't realize that was the manager's job. And you're blaming Jocketty for having a low payroll? I didn't realize the GM set the payroll.

No one's saying we should. Just because people (gasp) cheer for one of their players to come through when he comes up in a key situation doesn't mean they're sucking his d!ck. And no one mentioned anything about him being Japanese, just you. It seems like that's a problem you have.

yeah, you're right, just another crappy .283 lifetime hitter who can play all three outfield positions. Why would anyone want to cheer for a guy like that?

Yep, just another crappy reliever with a 2.49 ERA.

Yeah, he's been awful lately. I mean, he's lost one game since August 1st. And that loss was a 2-1 game. He's posted an ERA under 3 in that span. That's horrible!

Four relievers with ERAs in the 2 range, and two first year starters who have been as effective in the 2nd half this season as our top two were last year. Yeah, you're right, they're absolute trash.

Ah yes, the ever popular "I don't really have a solid argument against this guy, so I'll make a gay reference and call someone his boyfriend" argument. Well done. I hope junior high is going well for you. Again, please explain how he and Jocketty set the budget. I am fascinated by this new sports management you seem to know about.

Yeah, third winningest manager of all time, one of only two managers to win the World Series in both leagues, of course it's total luck.

Oh, and he's also gotten us into the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons. Only two other managers in the league can make that claim. One of them has an unlimited budget.

Actually, yes, they did. That's why they signed him prior to the 2003 season, even though they knew he was not going to be able to pitch at all that year.

So, you would prefer they spend lots of money on shit players?

First of all, congratulations on the incredible run-on sentence. Are you sure you're in college?

Secondly, beautiful logic. When we win with a team that was battling injuries all season, then it's luck. But in the two previous seasons, when we have strong teams in the regular season, and lose in the playoffs, it's choking. In 2004, people say LaRussa choked as manager against the Red Sox. Surely, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that his ace pitcher and star third baseman were injured, right? No, we have to blame LaRussa when we fail, and then find someone else to credit when we win.

Finally, everyone already knew that the playoffs were not a reward for the regular season. For other examples, look at the number of wild card teams that have won it. Or, look at 2005, when people thought the White Sox were choking down the stretch. They almost missed the playoffs, then went 11-1 to win the World Series. You play to make the playoffs, then you try to win 11 games. You don't apologize for being there.

Yeah, it's absolutely, impossible to believe that a team that plays in the 2nd largest media market, and has a lot more spending power, would have any chance to put a better team on the field than a midsized city like St Louis. And injuries haven't hampered us at all. Losing a Cy Young pitcher is easy to overcome.:rolleyes:

Nothing you've said anywhere in your posts has indicated that you're capable of being witty and clever. You don't want to abuse other players homophobically, but you do like to be an internet tough guy and come online and call LaRussa gay.

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was shocked to see people leaving early last night, and shocked to see those that stayed leave in the middle of the 14th. I thought St. Louis fans were more loyal than that. I know the game didn't have the same implications for you as it did for us but I was still amazed at the number of empties.

22. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking of funny...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ho ho ho...still laughing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One more giggle...

[​IMG]

Comedy gold!

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking of funny

[​IMG]