Other sports you watch [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Dear_Claudio, Jul 3, 2009.

1. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This must be the hardest loss for Roddick. Really though. Other times Fed was too good. But today Rod was even with him and outplayed him at times. Great achievement for Fed though. Should have done it last year though against his real rival.

2. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I hope Roddick wins one. He really deserves it honestly. If Fed wasn't round he'd have one it at a couple of times at least.

3. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Federer needs to stop with the snide comments. There is no way he can compare his chocking to Nadal last season when he could have tied a record but he was taken to 16-14 in the fifth by a guy he had a 18-2 record against. I think he thought it'd be a walkover but Roddick made a right go of it and if he had say Djokovic's backhand he would have won.

4. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What Fed has achieved is excellent. Nothing to take away from him. Excellent pics with him Sampras, Laver, and Borg. Best player ever. The GOAT. Will confirm it if he can really get one over on Nadal at the French.

5. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nadal is too good, minus the loss at the French open.

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely worth a theory, but the problem is I grew up in NEw England, my whole family and most people we knew were always Sox fans first, no matter the standings. My Dad and Grandfather say the only myth is that Boston is/was a Bruins town, as it only was in the 70s. We moved to Florida in the early 90s, and even then Sox fans were abundant down here at that time. It's a very stickler(sp?) group of fans who are proud to wear the colors no matter ho bad the team(s) are, that's how it has been since at least I was born, and my Dad says it was the same way for him growing up.

7. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There's a reason so many people hate Boston sports now a days. When I was growing up in the 90s, I rooted for the Sawx all the time simply because I hate the Yankees. I couldn't care less about the Pats because Buffalo had the Jets and Dolphins to deal with (and the Colts back then but they were also terrible). The Celtics were meddling in mediocrity and the Bruins weren't contending. Basically, no one gave a FCUK about Boston sports. Then the Patriots start stealing Super Bowls and the Red Sox finally win something and Bostonians act like they are God's gift to sports fans.

I don't mind the Celtics at all. Pierce and Rondo are some of my favorites and you gotta like Allen's smooth shooting and Garnett's work ethic. However, NO ONE cared about the Celtics until they made those big moves. The only thing interesting about that team for years was guessing how much Antoine Walker weighed.

Anyway... I root for the Celtics and Sawx against the true evil teams of sports (Yankees, Spurs, Pistons) so I won't call myself a Boston-hater. But the point remains that so many people from Mass. are simply assclowns.

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many people from everywhere are ass clowns, success breeds douchebag at larger rates for sure, but it also breeds petty jealousies and hatreds from other fans for literally no reason. Most people who I have met that hate Boston fans or Boston Sports have never been up there or met any of the fans period, it's just the popular thing to say. Also it isn't Boston Sports, it's New England Sports, it is completely regional from Mass to Maine, New Hampsire, and Vermont(sometimes R.I and Conn.). That is a point many miss, especially when estimating the size of the fan base(as well as the sheer volume of New Englanders who moved to other parts of the country or at least travel, as well as when generalizing about obnoxious "Boston Sports Fans." At least we will always have the one redeeming quality of a better knowledge of the sports and our own teams, over the blind idiot plastics that leeched onto the empire. Although traveling around FL, I can see how many of those type are now sinking their tentacles into the NEw England fan base as well. It's pretty easy to spot phonys though.

9. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm basing this off of the kids from New England that I have met at college. My school gets a lot of kids from around Mass. Admittedly kids my age from that area have had successful teams all through middle and high school so they are massive douchebags now:pThis would certainly differ from hardened old timers that have suffered through some really shit teams. The Patriots were a joke for so long and despite this ESPN-driven nonsense about the Red Sox they were the red-headed step children of the Northeast essentially forever, the brunt of so many jokes. They were so different from the 'lovable loser' Cubbies up until their championship.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I don't think Roddick should have won. Outside of Fed's serves, his baseline game was as poor as I have seen in a while. He missed so many shots in that 5th set that he routinely makes, so the fact that he was hanging around and having Roddick serve unprecedented 70% first serves only shows how good Federer is.

Definitely a tough loss, but honestly, it wasn't a great match.

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is needed for this thread:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM"]YouTube - We Like Sportz[/ame]

12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed. It was long, but it didn't feel that exciting. So few deuce games considering the length.

I also thought Federer was mis-hitting a lot of baseline shots for him, but at the same time I've never seen him serve so many aces (over 50?). The better player won, but Roddick pushed him hard.

I did like the Nike commerical after the match - Love Fifteen is a pretty good slogan.

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seriously ask you grandparents about the Red Sox loyalty (not necessarily there's). Throughout the 80's and 90's I routinely went to Fenway, got tickets at the gate and set with 10,000 other people without problems. Hell even as soon as 2000 I had no problem getting good tickets day of game. I'd sincerely like to hear what true New Englanders think (no lie, I am not being a smart ass). Today's Red Sox fans disgust me as much as the Red Sox Nation hype machine. Red Sox Nation is a new phenomemon, not some old, deep seeded love. Seriously, ask you Dad and Gramps and let us know what they say. Have them rank the 4 in since 1940 in terms of support overall. I'd love to know the results.

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dodgers made this one difficult today! 6-1 in the 9th and we have to wait until the 13th to close it out.

Horrible, horrible Padres jerseys were out again today. So they tell me, I couldn't see them, just a bunch of heads and arms.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Those camo jerseys are the worst and I hate them.

Know what pisses me off though? Last year when I visited you got me so blinding drunk before the game in San Diego with Becky Boo that I don't barely remember the game other than Greg Maddux pitched.

Somehow though I did manage to keep score for 6 innings.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    And the jacket that has 15 on it.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I already answered that for you. From both sources no on ever really cared about the Pats compared to the other 3 until recently, it was only a Bruins town in th 70s, the NBA caught on very late compared to baseball. There has surely not always been a "redsox nation" the Yankees were the real nation wide team for ever(because success breeds it), but for true New Englanders(according to my family), the Red Sox from the 40s on(when My Grandpa was in his teens) have been the most consistently followed team, with spikes from the Celtics in 60s and 80s, and Bruins in the 70s. My dad said growing in the late 60s and on despite the Celtics dominace all of his friends were pretending to be Yaz or Fisk and Orr(in the winter), not COusy Hondo or Russell.

I got to say checking the numbers your attendence figures are way off or too small a sample size. The sox attendence in the 80s averaged out to 5th or 6th best in baseball, which is only slightly lower than it is these days.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My bad, I read your previous post wrong.

I don't have time to pull up attendance numbers now but in my 31 years I have been to over 20 Sox games at Fenway and all but 2 were purchased on day of game.

I'll take a look tomorrow at the numbers but right now Tiger Woods 10 is calling me, Oakmont awaits. It does suck to play a course that is less than 5 mils from me on a video game because it's private.

19. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Dave I call on you to hit up the ravine when I make the drive sometime in this next half of the season.

The Chelsea tour is gonna leave my money well dry for a while but I'm going to put in extra work and get some tickets down the line. My usual hunt for $1 upper deck tickets on stub hub won't happen here. Let's get some stellar seats....stellar meaning....affordable but nice.

20. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    MMA
    Boxing
    Football
    Basketball
    Athletics

Don't have a favorite basketball team, but as far as football goes it's the Falcons. Not really into NBA all that much either and don't really bother with it till about April. I still check the scores and everything, but don't really sit down to watch the regular season games too often. College basketball is where it's at.

My mom is an Olympian so I have a natural disposition towards Athletics. Been a fan of boxing since I was a kid. I'm more of a recent MMA fan (past 5 years or so), but I love it as a sport just as much. Simply cannot wait for UFC 100 this weekend; It's going to be an explosive night:

Lesnar vs Mir
    GSP vs Alves
    Henderson vs. Bisping

:eek:

21. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    For my boxing fans out there, what do you make of the upcoming Pacquiao-Cotto fight? Let's try to do it without bringing Duckweather into the convo :D

22. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Football.

And a little bit each of cricket, rugby (union!), tennis (again, men's... women's is DULL). I always stay up for the Superbowl and catch bits here and there and would watch more gridiron if the coverage was better over here - hopefully the new ESPN UK channel will help with that. I have from time to time found myself watching MLB in the middle of the night, and I find it kinda mesmerising but I can't get my head around the massive obsession with stats.

Basketball can suck a ********.

23. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you want to follow any sport from over here, it should be hockey. It's probably the only one you'd remotely enjoy.

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    See I find most Brits can relate to baseball more!

25. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There are similarities to cricket I agree.