Other Sports: Hóquei em Patins Benfica

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Nelso, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Re: Roller Hockey in Benfica: Does anyone remember this sport out of Portugal?

O português Victor Almeida, ex-praticante de hóquei em patins, foi convidado pela organização para promover o Mundial'2005 junto das comunidades lusas nos Estados Unidos (EUA), palco da prova, de 6 a 14 de Agosto.
    Victor Almeida, ex-assessor de imprensa da Federação de Patinagem de Portugal (FPP), de 58 anos, disse à Agência Lusa que colaborará com 21 rádios locais e uma televisão de língua portuguesa na Califórnia.
    O convite surgiu através do responsável pelas Relações Públicas da competição, o chileno Ruben Leni, também dirigente da Federação de Patinagem americana, e tem como objectivo "divulgar a modalidade junto dos milhares de portugueses que residem naquele Estado", de acordo com Vítor Almeida.

in: www.hoqueipt.blogspot.com

!!!Californian!!! portuguese! listen to radio, and go make a force for POrtugal in San Jose!!

2. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

I dont want to be mad with you. Temos duas visões diferentes do jogo: tal como existe uma grande diferença entre o SOCCER e o FOOTBALL (os americanos acham o SOCCER Muito parado, ao que julgo saber), existe uma diferença entre o hóquei em patins e o hoquei no gelo.

Desculpa, perguntei se ficaste sem argumentos, por causa da questão da violencia. I only saw HOCKEY Games in TV, and I think its to good to be see, but not good as a sport, Because I) think sport must be honoured, and pedagogic. THe tactics and group spirit of roller hockey, the skills of the players... that's what I like. And the Women's roller hockey? It's better than Women's Ice Hockey... at least that's what I think...

Look, Bryan, I only have to resume: We have 2 diferent views of the game: That's a question of culture, I'am portuguese and you are american. We all love velocity and fast moves, but I dont like violence.

Friends again? :p

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

to tell you the true I like Hoquei em Patins better then ice hockey, for some reason, I never keep up with the puck in ice hockey, the other part I hate about the game, its all the grabbing and pushing

4. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

That's what I think Frank. I can understand the Brian's ideas, but he must understand mine opinions as well. And in the question about Violence, he cant help Hockey.

So... Who is going to listen Vitor Almeida on radio? go to California, ppl! :cool:

5. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

Ice Hockey used to be skill and finesse but the sometime around 93 when the Devils won the Stanley Cup it went all downhill.

What you see today (or used to before the NHL went kaput) is the game that Frank sees. Clutching, grabbing, and boring defensive neutral zone trap hockey. Over expansion ruined the game too. I can admit it's unwatchable.

As for violence in hockey that was a true niche in a great sport. When your player took a cheap shot you'd send out one of your goons and he'd take care of it. But, sadly, you don't even see fighting as often anymore because the NHL took steps to take that part of the game away. There is still nothing better than see a clean open ice check.

I live in a huge portuguese community area and I have never seen a hockey em patins league.

California? That's in another timezone from where I'm at. If it weren't for you I wouldn't even know there was a World Cup of Hockey em Patins going on as the media doesn't even report on it.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

I used to like Hockey with the original 6, Rangers, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal, but in the early 70's Philadelphia ruin the game with all the fights, grabbing etc. I hate to go to a game, and stop the game for tv timeouts, also with expansion I lost interest, today I can't name all of the teams , just to many , and only a handful are making money.

7. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

"California? That's in another timezone from where I'm at. If it weren't for you I wouldn't even know there was a World Cup of Hockey em Patins going on as the media doesn't even report on it."

And it was just a question of luck for me to find this forum... I didnt knew that NHL was making the sport diferent, but if it is for better, I agree.
    I think there is a Roller hockey club in Utica (state of NY), and other in Delaware and Maine (A former ball hockey team called BULLDOGS)... I thinked that portuguese and italian comunities played this game, in Newark, but now I know I'am wrong...

I know that the media is not gavin importance to the event, but in Europe we are all trying to promote it in the states... at least a litle help :cool:

8. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Here are the names of the teams that played in GOLDEN DIVISION (SENIOR MEN) of the National Open Championships 2004 (Helded in Burlington, Washington State, 11-16 July 2004)

Olympia Warriors (Washington)
    Boyertown Rolling Phantoms (Pensylvannia)
    Cumberland Raiders (Maryland)
    Bremerton Hurricanes (Washington)
    Lubbock Colts (Texas)
    Redwood City (California)
    Klamath Falls Cretins (Oregon)
    Washington Americans (WashingtoN)

These are amateur teams. Sometimes, internacional players that plays in Europe come to this tournment to play for theire amateur teams in USA.

9. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Americans: Dont forget to watch the game BENFICA-Juventude de Viana at 18:00 (Lisbon Hour)... Benfica is better, but Juventude de Viana will not miss the ocasion to show their value...

At 16:30, for the ones who can watch SPORTTV International, you can see another great game, between the 1st (PORTO) and the 3rd (OLIVEIRENSE). FC POrto is already the champion, but Oliveirense want to be as soion as possible in a place to the EUROLEAGUE!

The other game of the day (poule A) is Barcelos-Nortecoope Maia, at 21:00;

ENJOY THE GAMES!!!!!

10. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Benfica won 6-2 Juventude de Viana!

Benfica scorers:Ricardo Barreiros (1-1 gp); Ricardo Barreiros (2-2); Rui Ribeiro (3-2); Rui Ribeiro (4-2); Alan Karam (5-2); Pedro Afonso (6-2);
    Viana Scorers: André Azevedo (0-1); Carlitos (1-2);

11. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut

Thanks for the update!

12. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Late in Oliveira de Azemeis:

UD OLIVEIRENSE (3rd) Vs. SL BENFICA (2nd)!!! (18:00, Lisbon Hour)

A great game. Sadly, we dont have anything to fight for. All the games of the last journey are espected to have many goals, since all the teams have their final positions clear. Ricardo Barreiros (Benfica) and the brazilian Cláudio Filho "Cacau" (Nortecoope) are fighting for the best scorer of this season. The advantage is for the brazilian, but he will play FC Porto, the best defense of the championship...

Follow this game on-line at www.hoqueislb.pt...

Other games of this weekend:

Poule A

17h30 CD Nortecoope - FC Porto (com transmissão na SportTv)
    18h AJ Viana - OC Barcelos

Poule B

18h Riba d’ Ave HC - HC Sintra
    18h HA Cambra - ACR Gulpilhares
    18h CD PortoSantense - CD Paço Arcos

2ª Divisão - Apuramento do Campeão

21 horas Candelária SC - HC Braga

13. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

I mean http://hoqueislb.net/

14. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

This saturday afternnon results:

Poule A

A Juventude Viana 3-4 OC Barcelos
    UD Oliveirense 4-3 SL Benfica
    CD Nortecoope 4-6 FC Porto

Poule B

Riba d’Ave HC 3-3 HC Sintra
    HA Cambra 3-3 ACR Gulpilhares
    CD Portosantense 2-4 CD Paço d’Arcos

In the 2nd division "play-off" for the title, Candelária is playing now against HC Braga.

Next Week, we cwill have TAÇA DE PORTUGAL (Final Four in Entroncamento):

Benfica - Juventude de Viana
    FC Porto - Oliveirense

15. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Oliveirense 4-3 Benfica

My heart was divided between the two teams. I hope they play again in the Taça de Portugal final, next week.

Ricardo Barreiros, who was fighting for the "Best scorer award" was not so well as in other games, maybe because of Vitor Fortunato pressure. Guilherme Silva and Carlos Silva (Goalies) stoped many goals in counter-attack strickes, but I think Oliveirense was better, because they scored first, and because they stoped the attacking moves of Benfica. Tó Neves and Didi (UDO) made their best game since the Euroleague (agianst FC POrto), and I think Oliveirense diserves to win the Cup final, were they will play again with Porto. Benfica was fast, but not eficient in their strickes.

16. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Benfica 1-1 Juventude de Viana (2-1 after penalties)

Benfica and Viana made a great game, but without many goals. Too many fouls. Tomba scored for Benfica, in the 1st minute, and then Benfica passed all the 1st half waiting for Viana. Viana attacks were dangerous, but the Goalie Carlos Silva was there allways.
    In the 2nd half, Rodrigo, from Viana, scored the draw goal. Until the end of the game, the teams play hard and fast.

In the extra-time, the teams were too slow, waiting for eachother. The number of fouls turn the game boring... until the penalty kicks!

After 6 strickes, with many defenses from Ricardo Silva (Viana) and Carlos Silva (Benfica), Ricardo Barreiros scored the only goal, the one that gave Benfica the acess to the tomorrow final.

In the other game, FC POrto won easily against Oliveirense, 6-3.
    The final game its at 18:00, and you can see the game in SportTV International (In the east coast, I think...)

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  18. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
  19. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

PORTO Won the Taça de Portugal 2004/05

FC Porto 2-2 SL Benfica (3-2 after penalties)

Porto Scorers: Reinaldo Ventura (2) and Pedro Gil;
    Benfica scorers: Valter Neves and Rui Ribeiro;

One of the greatest games of the year. Sadly, the referees let Porto do what they want in the 1st half... Pedro Gil made 2 violent fouls, without ball, that could give him a blue card or a red card. In this 1st half, EDO save FCP from suffering goals... Benfica made too many pressure, but couldn't score.

In the 2nd half, the referees were pretty well, and so the players were. The game was saved by this spectacular, fast and emotive 2nd half. Valter Neves scored first, in a fast play, and then Reinaldo Ventura and Pedro Gil scored too, puting Porto leading the game. When was only 2 min to the end, Rui Ribeiro, in a colective play, scored the draw goal.

In the extra-time, 1st half, both teams tried to score. In the 2nd half, the referre invented a penalty to Porto, that Reinaldo Ventura tried to score, but Carlos Silva defended!!!

In the penalties, Benfica was unlucky, and Reinaldo scores the victory goal...

BENFICA made a great game, but Porto was more eficient, scoring in the few opportunities they had...

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

I picked up the thread because I had heard about the WC being in S. Jose, Ca. this year and want to keep up w/ the results. Unfortunatelly, it starts about the time of my vacation and I'll be netless (going primitive).
    Since I'm here, might as well spill my beans. I remember watching Livramento playing against P. d'Arcos in the old open air rink by the old beach.
    In fact, I went to more hoquei games than soccer then.
    After arriving in the USA , I haven't seen any game in person. Although, I've watched some on RTPi. By exposure, I slowly began to prefer the ice hockey in the early 70s.
    I must admit that the physical contact and aggressiveness of the ice game was a culture shock that once overcome was gladdly enjoyed and incooperated in my only actual participation in the sport of hockey.
    To be honest, I don't watch much hockey anymore( for years I mean), But I still prefer the ice over the roller.
    All said though, I still would like to follow the WC as that means a lot to Portugal's sport identity.

21. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Frank Cunha and me, we are posting the avaiable news on a thread about that, here, on PORTUGAL CLUBS.

Anyway, Rink-Hockey is played in some small cities of Usa, like Cumberland (Maryland), Bremerton and Burlington (Washington) and some places on California...

22. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

I will post this comunication of Benfica, But I need to tell you all that I don't agree with it:

http://www.slbenfica.pt/Info/Hoquei...noticiashoquei_hoqcomunicado_230705_29271.asp

In Portugal, many people is thinking that José querido only picked up their "friends"... Anyway, I will only post this link on Benfica Hockey's topic, because I think this is really a great **********, Only the benfiquistas will know about this comunication... at least that's what I wich.

Anyway, biggyv, How can I change this Thread Title? I would Like to change it to:

"Other: Hóquei em Patins no Benfica (R)"... is that possible without creating a new thread? :confused:

23. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Hoje, A Federação de Patinagem de Portugal voltou a dar toda a confinaça a José querido, e censurou o Benfica pelo seu comunicado inapropriado.

I Think that Benfica didn't need to do that, because we all know that Carlos Silva was the best goalie in Portugal, follwing Edo Bosh. José querido picked GUILHERME (Well Done) and GINHO (Not so good choise...), and we need to support the Querido's decision. Carlos Silva will have many opportunities to be a star.

24. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

Thank you by changing the name of the forum! :D

25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005