Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well the pitchforks would have happened. But whether or not they would have improved the team is an open question. I think it was pure luck we got Vanney. He was the easiest choice (Hey, I'm successful and I want to come coach your team!); luckily he happened to be the best choice as well.

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaron Long rupturing his achilles is a problem for the USMNT. Hope he gets well.

2in10, Geneva, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol A little pretentious but they had the first soccer specific stadium.

2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In So Cal, we save "The" for describing our freeways.

The Cadaver, hav77, Bilgediver and 3 others repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    central valley, too (where I grew up)

Beakmon FC, ragbone, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watched Zardes play against Jiminez (Columbus vs Austin). Feel like Im in a time warp. Also I think they just said Austin has a waiting list of 24,000 for season tickets?!?! Wow.

MPNumber9, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    About 100 opportunities (actually 32 shots total) by Austin and Columbus - and it ends 0-0. :( Four consecutive games without a goal for Austin. Packed stadium, loud crowd, great atmosphere and they don’t have a goal scorer. Makes me appreciate all the great scorers the Galaxy have had, including 2021 Chicharito.

GalaxyOne, Geneva, MPNumber9 and 3 others repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defense wins championships, provided that defense also has a goal-scorer up top in front of them.

The Cadaver and skydog repped this.
  9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Guess who went to both of those 0-0 home draws? Me... Yea unfortunately Austin is not a strong offensive team. Stadium is really nice, but man they have so many choke points. Lines for food and drink take up the whole walking areas so it just becomes a mass crowd trying to walk to their seats but have to wiggle their way through the lines. I get to the stadium an hour before kickoff, and it has taken me the full hour both times to get through security and grab a drink.

Don't think i'll be going to anymore Austin FC games soon. The team is so dull, and everything is so expensive. I do have my eyes on the LA Galaxy v Austin game though.

hav77, TrickHog, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My family lives in Austin and my niece’s hubby has Hispanic heritage and loves soccer. I was talking to him about Austin getting an MLS team a couple years ago and he told me they would fail, that people wouldnt show up, lol!
    It’s disappointing to hear of the poor design. How can architects still make these kinds of mistakes? Just a blunder or a “f the consumer, here is a way to save $” decision?
    Hopefully they will work some of those kinks out.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium is awesome and the atmosphere is incredible. I’m a season ticket holder and have been to every game - tonight was spectacular!

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Congrats to Austin getting off the snide at home in a big way with a 4-1 beatdown of Portland.

And I’m glad/impressed you got a season ticket Kickin. I read they were almost impossible to come by, even for members of the founders group who got to call in a day before the public.

StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As long as you signed up early, you could have got them. I was tempted but ultimately decided against it. Half the people on my soccer team here have season tickets which works out of me cause if any of them can't go to a game, they always ask me if I wanna buy them at face value.

skydog, Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so happy for you! Thanks for sharing the thrill. I remember those first games in the HDC well.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our coaches former team, in the hunt for the supporters shield last season, just got thumped 7-1 vs DC and is by far the worst team in the East (maybe league).

maybe Vanney is an incredible coach. How lucky are we that he wanted to come home?

natfaninla, ProudNatRN, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That game was the last straw - Toronto fired coach Armas today.

Berks and mbar repped this.
  17. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom of the East Toronto beating top of the East 0-2 Revs after 15'.
    #thatssomls

TrickHog, Berks, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  18. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    MPNumber9, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As a former coach I’ve always believed this. In youth soccer someone taught me early on - put your best athlete in goal. It was sound advice and worked for me.

I think of teams as 3 separate parts, all of which must be very good to be a consistent winner:

A top goalkeeper - most important player on the field.

A top forward or two- 2nd most important players on the field. Their quality will be the main determinant of whether all the work done by the rest of the team is rewarded on the score board.

The rest - the other 8 or 9 players main job is protect the goalie from facing too nany shots and toncreate quality chances for the forward(s). Secondarily they should be adding a few supplemental goals..

IMO if a team is missing any one of these 3 components it will struggle in the end. That is why I bitched so much about Bingham and am so vocal this season about the risks of a ‘one decent forward’ roster. Yes we got the win over Dallas without a good forward. But that just proved it could be done in a single game against a weak opponent. It is still not a recipe for long term success.

But we have the goalie. We have the 9 good players. Now we just need a reliably healthy forward. Chich? Vanney’s new great goal scoring recruit? Either one - and its MLS Cup, here we come!

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 goal thriller in Montreal as they come back to beat Cincy 5-4. They were down 2-4 in 46'.

22. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle finally lost!
    So looking at the top of the standings, our loss didn't hurt us, really.
    Based on PPG, we're still Top 4 in Supporter's Shield standings, top 3 in the West. Considering who is missing due to callups/injury I'd say we're still doing ok, and we didn't "suck" against Vancouver, we just lost the plot and looked way more disorganized. I'm with others on Sacha, his best days are clearly behind him and he's more of a sub/role player now. At this point might as well START Saldana or Dunbar instead of him, can't do any worse.

73Bruin, Geneva, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta fires another coach. Results aside, sounds justified.

TrickHog repped this.
  24. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Heinze is old school. lol

They should be looking at Bocanegra. That is the second dud he hires. Somebody else better jump in there and help him out.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How on earth do these folks get employed. Limited water? JFC.

Geneva, ragbone, skydog and 2 others repped this.