Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8826 MPNumber9, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    New Fire Logo is...interesting.

I'll await @Lazy Assed Assassin's professional opinion but...this is !@#$ing awful. Why did they rebrand to RSL?

Glad they incorporated the "Fire Crown" as a nod to Chicago's history, as I would have otherwise never known that Chicago was founded by Baal, Prince of Darkness or perhaps a Balrog of Morgoth (depending on artist rendering). Probably explains the fire. So the logo is already better for capturing this obscure aspect of Midwestern history.

[​IMG]

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pretty awful logo IMO. But it's a pretty awful team so I guess it fits.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The logo looks amateurish and I don't like the font either. The colors look nice but they aren't Chicago Fire colors. IMO they should have gone for a refresh not a reboot.

hav77, Namrog The Just and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my god that is awful. I don’t understand the logo except for the tie in with the name. Is it a known thing?

anyway it just looks cheap. Their logo before was actually really good. It didn’t look 90’s dated to me at all. This actually looks much more dated than it did before.

hav77, ShortyMac and Namrog The Just repped this.
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well that’s fortunate.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems obvious, but Nashville's only a little further West. Some were speculating Chicago might bump to the West.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    There are many issues with the new logo, made all the worse by the fact the old logo, while not winning any design awards, was solid.

It seems like they’re trying to emulate the Kansas City Wizards to Sporting Kansas City transition and shedding all that was associated with the team. The difference being the old Wizards logo was arguably the worst of a pretty terrible bunch from the inaugural class of '96.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalry wise, Chicago, St Louis, KC and Minnesota would make sense in the west while Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, Cincinnati, Charlotte and Indy would make sense in the east.

hav77, 7E23 and skydog repped this.
  11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My understanding was that they put Nashville in the West as a temporary measure, which will change next season with the new additions. I'm guessing that despite Chicago being a little further West, it was considered less jarring to put the new team there and keep the established Eastern Conference team in place, rather than have them switch for a year.

Edit: of course, MLS's many detractors have taken this as an horrific act which completely wipes away any trace of credibility the league might have.

hav77 and skydog repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Damn, I wanted to see VAN, SEA & POR heads explode.

On second thought it wouldn't be worth it - I can't wish that on AJDLG.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Rumors of Vela to barcelona floating around again. I hope it happens lol. I am so sick of him in the league. I thought he'd be a disaster, but has done a ton of damage so far.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I understand the frustration at LAFC's success but Vela is good for the league. And what is good for the league is, in the long run, good for us Galaxy/soccer/MLS fans. MLS needs "stars" like Vela and Ibra to draw viewers and increase our future TV contracts, the lifeblood of the league.

tldr vers: Our answer shouldn't be hoping our competition gets weaker, it should be demanding that we get better.

hav77, barroldinho, Ghosting and 3 others repped this.
  15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yea but LAFC...

If Vela played for Houston, no biggie. LAFC tho...

hav77 and skydog repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gotcha. :thumbsup:

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that in principle, I guess,
    Why not both? In a capped league, there are explicit limits to how much better the Galaxy can get compared to a team like LAFC. In general, I don't buy that as a Galaxy fan I'm supposed to be invested in what's good for every soccer team in, like, the country? SKC getting Alan Pulido or LAFC keeping Vela doesn't benefit me and the people I bring to games as a paying LA Galaxy season ticket holder. Nobody would go to a Chelsea fan and be like "Well, I know your season sucks, but look how good Liverpool's doing!"

What would benefit us as LA GALAXY FANS is if LAFC sold both Rossi and Vela and had to rebuild their SS winning team the same year we're rebuilding ours. Does anyone want to face this same LAFC without Zlatan?

barroldinho, 73Bruin and skydog repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I guess it depends on how big a viewpoint you are taking. It's true that it would be in our interests for Vela and Pulido to be in the EC rather than competing with us. But what I said is also true -- the league needs stars to improve TV ratings so our next TV contract doesn't suck and so the growth of MLS isn't stymied.

Look I want the Galaxy to win as much as you do. But I want to do it because we improved, not because our competition got worse. And I want the league to continue improving and the quality of play to get better and more exciting every year. I don't like the fact that our coach did an interview today where he complained two or three times about league budget constraints preventing him from going after the players we need.

Another factor behind my feelings is that most of our problems are self inflicted. No one made the Galaxy sign crappy players to long term expensive contracts. Well Klein did, but no one made us hire him. IMO we need to get our shxx together rather than wishing ill on our competition. But I understand YMMV.

hav77 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree with everything in your post except the implication that all of the team's play by the same rules, when IMO this is clearly not true. I believe the deck in stacked in favor of the recent expansion teams. They got a lot of allocation money that the older teams in the league did not get. As we have seen with Atlanta, this can lead to a permanent advantage if teams use this largesse to sign young stars and then sell them on in a few years. They are also not burdened by old contracts.

If the league truly wanted a level playing field at a minimum they would eliminate the rule that limits teams to only buying out 1 contract a year and then only in the off season. They could also provide more GAM and/or TAM to the teams that don't make the playoffs. Alternatively, they could allow those teams to completely pay for one or more of their DPs and free up this salary cap money for non DP salaries.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  20. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In promising news for the league Charlotte paid $325m (!) for their franchise. That's pretty surprising given the last two franchises went for $200m. Encouraging to know that at least some businessmen have done the math and see a very bright future for MLS. Now I just want to see some of that money being translated into a more generous salary cap.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...me-mls-30th-franchise-for-record-$325-million

I'm just sad that my Triangle area didn't fight harder to get the NC franchise.

TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes and no. I don't want them to be successful, obviously, but I would much prefer that we beat them (or anyone else for that matter) through our own merit and improvement, than through them basically hobbling themselves.

As for what MLS is doing in general, that's important on two levels:

1) The better the league is overall, the more enjoyable it will be for us to watch (especially if we're competitive).
    2) The better the standard of the league, the more credible it is to be successful in it and the better the profile of the Galaxy (not to mention better revenues, players, coaches, academies, etc).

MPNumber9 and 73Bruin repped this.
  23. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The league really should have done away with the expansion draft by now. One of the ways established teams with longer histories can be competitive is by establishing a development pipeline where younger players breaking in, but not necessarily superstars, are productive in the 23-26 year old range and turn into solid professionals. Signing USL seasoned younger players to longer term value contracts is a great way to put together a competitive team. Think a lot of Romneys and Stereses filling in the gaps. It's not easy to get a team full of these players but if you manage to groom and sign one of these players you are guaranteed to lose them in the next expansion draft. With all the allocation money thrown at the expansion teams, the expansion draft should be gone. Hanging onto these fringe value players has an added bonus with the stability it brings to MLS teams fan favorite types (those who work hard, are underpaid, and sometimes stick longer with the team than a lot of the starters).

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not an "MlS Detractor", and for two decades have been hoping it becomes a powerful league. But I sure have no belief that emulating baseball is the way to go.

25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are pros and cons to any system.