Other Groups - Results discussion - enter at your own risk [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by soccernutter, Jun 14, 2018.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that you have Saudi hate, but this does not make sense. The better Saudi Arabia does, the better for the federation over all. I look at it like this: I want Mexico to lose every match. But I also know that the better that they do, when we (US) beat them, it will improve our rankings more. So I want them to do well in the WC (apart from winning - that is a leap too far) so that when we beat them, we will do better.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't want to venture into issues outside of football but lets just say my problems with Saudi Arabia aren't confined to football. The truth is that most Iranians watch the Saudi matches only to take pleasure in seeing them get whipped. After Iran's games, the Saudi games are probably the only ones we watch intently and with some passion, except always rooting for whoever is beating them:) How all this affects our rankings isn't important to us at all.

Mani repped this.
  4. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    1007333970957295616 is not a valid tweet id

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If only our arch enemies were humiliated are often as the Saudis. Good moral boost for the Iranians (especially) and just at the right time. Going to watch the whole match later as I was at work, the 5-0 makes it worth while.

6. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    If feel sorry for Saudi football players on their return.

7. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    as i predicted on the day that saudi clinched qualification, saudi embarrassed asia. i didnt think they would be so abysmal against an average side russian side though, i had predicted the blowout to come versus uruguay. for those of you who didnt follow AFC qualifying, saudi finished 2nd behind japan and got an automatic berth. however, their 2nd place finish was inflated, due to getting favourable calls from the ref (several penalties) while other teams lost points due to bad calls, and also australia underperforming. saudi deserved to be 3rd in their group (they finished ahead of australia only based on goal differential, and again, due to AFC favouritism unseen anywhere else in the world, they got to player AFTER australia on the last matchday, so they had the luxury of being able to play for a draw and not having to commit too many numbers up front and risk losing their last game, that too the game was against an already-qualified japan which means japan would play calm and relaxed and would punish saudi if saudi was desperate for 3 points and played an attacking game). if they finished 3rd like they were supposed to, they might not have gotten past syria and honduras to even qualify to the world cup.

saudi pass the ball well but thats about it. their defense is abysmal, and they cant create chances against strong teams so even though they had good finishing during AFC qualifiers, it is meaningless if you cant create chances. they had 0 shots on goal today and only 2 half chances despite having 61% possession.

8. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nice win for Mexico. They look strong and fast as hell too.

9. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil had chances but there should have been PK for Brazil. Good game by the Swiss but Brazil, I feel got a screwed a bit today. I am no Brazil fan either.

10. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil draw and Germany loss messes up my bracket!

11. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah not people had the results that came to fruition the past 2 days.

12. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am actually proud to see Croatia as top in D, Argentina is tired or plays down or I don't know what. That result is hanging in.

13. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah Croatia is a good team. Im just glad to see pretty much all the elite teams that have played up until now (Sunday night) have some issue or issues that they need to work on. So to me, currently the clear favorite might only be Spain but they seem like they have some defensive issues to work on too.

14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    looks like japan is going to beat colombia. they got really lucky though colombian defender made a foolish mistake to pull a squarez in the box with his hand and as a result colombia was down to 10 men in the 4rth minute and also gave up a goal via penalty. then they gifted japan the 2-1 goal off a corner by letting the short japanese player head over, also poor work by colombian keeper. japan got super lucky, much more than Iran got lucky vs morocco. after the first match day Iran is the best asian team. but i dont mind japan getting points, it is good for the image of asia.

after the 1st match day all AFC teams except saudi arabia played respectable. AFC>africa, concacaf so far.

i wonder if saudi are going to be stupid and go for the win vs uruguay or if they will defend to not lose by more than 2 goals. they will lose for sure because they dont even know how to defend. but if they defend they can at least keep it to 2 goals.

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    again, look at panama vs england 6-1. why would Iran play attacking? better question is... why did panama and saudi play attacking? for these teams the best chance to win comes from defending, even in a must win game. even tunisia got it wrong against belgium. they opened up too early.

16. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maradona with the 2 middle fingers after Argentina scored their 2nd goal against Nigeria. SMH

17. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    that dude has been an irrelevant clown for the past few decades. i wouldnt be surprised if cronaldo follows suit: once he cant play football anymore he will resort to buffoonery to stay relevant. if messi is immature enough to sink to his level, we could have another senile pele vs maradona style insult gala on our hand.

18. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No one will ever match Maradona in that level. Ever.

19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i wont deny that after seeing what happened in group F i feel frustrated. i think all teams from group B would have advanced had they been in group F. group F was the weakest group. Iran would have beaten germany 4-0 today. south korea were nothing special... they didnt even score on any of the counterattacks that were like 4 on 2 situations against a non existent german defense. on top of that germany was missing chances, including a 100% header. meanwhile spain doesnt create anything against Iran and the ball bounces of costas leg and then we miss a golden chance and a close offside goal denies us.