OT:ya vodochki xlopnul...The Vodka Thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Zenit, Jun 10, 2005.

1. dynamok

dynamok New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Re: 2nd Round

Считаю Хортицу лучшей Украинской хорилкой на сегоднешный день. Правда не знаю если она продаётся в США или нет.

2. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll have to check my local 'Russian-Jewish-Internation Store' whether they have Hortitsya or not. But I know they have a lot of vodkas and beers. I usually pick up a couple of bottles of Nemiroff for myself, and then another 10 or so for my friends and family. Thing is that its not expensive, and really good. My girlfriend's brother in law if a big Vodka drinker, one of those guys who buys Grey Goose or other expensive vodkas because for him money grows on trees. He had a taste and claims its better then anything he ever had, and now requires me to buy it every time I go to the store. I brought a bottle once to a Metrostars tailgate, so now a couple of those guys are always asking me to buy them bottles. Everyone seems to be really impressed with Nemiroff. I also happend to bring the Green Lemon Nemiroff last year from Lviv, and that is probably the smoothest best tasting Vodka I ever had, but unfortunately I can't find it here. Good thing my old folks are going to Ukraine in a month, I'll be having some in a little while.

3. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Maybe I am a little old-fashioned, but Stoli hits the spot for me. Yep, the good ole' Stoli.

4. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Re: Vodka/Horilka

Firstly, and formostly I must state - these are my non-drinking days - which they shall remain, meaning that I might have 2 shots per annum, meaning that a few gallons currently residing in my freezer will be consumed by my Grandchildren..

In my drinking days, I've never tried Nemiroff or Hortitsa, the only Horilkas I ever imbibed in, to my best knowledge were Pertzovka and Lyubitel'skaya - both were quite good, yet weak - i.e. 28-32*, as opposed to G74's weapon of choice - 49*.

From what I had pleasure to partake in - 3 stood out in "shotability" Osobaya, Pshenichnaya and Cristall (to answer G74 - my understanding that Cristall is a Stoli-triple-quartz-filtered), and to a lesser degree Finlandia. .

Yet on special occasions I had a chance to taste Osobaya Tsarskaya in a hand painted bottle - and that took vodka to a new height.

Obviously I am referring to non-flavoured varieties , which are a whole new bowl of cherries, or what should not be even called vodkas, but distilled spirits a la Absolut, Ketel 1, or Grey Goose, etc.

5. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

SKYY. SVEDKA. cheap and harty.

now Inferno...a man's drink.

Z chogo tvoya sivuha?

Jak z chogo? Iz bur'yaka.

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Pertzovka's good, but it is for a specific taste.

Now, SKYY is terrible. Finlandia is garbage, Popov is weak. Absolut and Smirnoff are decent. Van Gogh, once you get past the strange bottle is decent (but no more than that). Grey Goose - is merely ok, the fact that people LOVE it mystifies me. Level is too pretentious. Osobaya - now there's the blast from the good ole' days.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Grey Goose for anything mixed (smoothest martinis) and Gzhelka for shots; the extra bit of citrus helps.

8. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib

Agreed. I have a liter hiding under my bed. However Beryezka (made with water(or sap) from beryezkas) is the best one from Russia I've had.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

chistiy spirt. yummy:D

10. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

For the money, SKYY is definately not terrible! as a matter of fact, it's in the same price range as Smirnoff and other rubbish, yet is 10x the vodka. hail!

it's american but unlike other vodkas in the price range, this baby is triple distilled.

11. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SKYY is a vastly underrated vodka. I'm convinced that because it hails as American vodka, it gets short shrift.

Grey Goose - most overrated vodka in the universe. Ridiculously expensive and what is with the funny aftertaste? Blech. Absolut is a close second, almost as expensive and twice as bad.

My new "homeland" favorite - Beryozovaya. Rather unique, easy on the palate, good stuff.
    [​IMG]

12. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

So it has a birch-juice-like-taste?

13. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, it does, quite distinctive but at the same time very smooth.

http://www.brestvodka.com/products/vodka/birch/

14. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...and actually, 'Goalkeeper' ain't half bad, either ;)

[​IMG]

The Liviz distillery in Piter, after so many years of churning out decent product, has kind of regressed in recent years, IMHO. The last few Liviz bottles I've received have been rather underwhelming. Although, in the end, they still do get the job done. No one, including yours truly, is terribly picky after 200-300 grams ;)

15. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib

Duddeee read my post that's the name of the Vodka I was talking about. Definately the best Vodka in Russsia.

16. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

I have never tried Berezovaya Vodka. But I certainly did not like SKYY. It has no punch and is not as smooth as I would expect a triple-distilled product to be.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

[​IMG]

18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Wait, were you the one that said you liked Crystal? And you think Grey Goose is "blech"?
    You need some re-educatin'.

19. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, can't agree. The Goose just doesn't do it for me, I hate the aftertaste that goes along with it. Kristall is vastly superior to GG, methinks.

20. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib

I Disagree.

21. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Anyone like peppered Vodkas?

22. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Ukrainian pertsovka's rather good albeit unusual.

23. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Montreal

Grizzly's err Casanova's secret :D Let's just say this love potion works on the women of both Russia and Canada. Tastes great as well although that is a secondary consideration. From where else: Yaroslavl http://www.vodkarussian.com/home/en/start.html

[​IMG]

24. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

[​IMG]

This is a man's vodka. So good was it that you can no longer buy it in the states....I cry long and hard. :mad:

25. dynamok

dynamok New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Minneapolis

Ukrainian choices:
    Hortytsya - simply the best.
    Horobyna - great!
    Nemiroff - very good, medova s pertsem & premium are my favorite.
    Derzhava - great, but had bad luck with buying counterfited stuff.
    Het'man - same as Derzhava.
    Persha Gildiya - not bad, but only frozen. I've made a mistake trying it room temperature, worst then Absolute.

Ketel One is probably the #1 choice for me.
    Grey Goose - second choice.

Absolute - absolute worst tasting vodka.
    Smirnoff - bad, especially in the morning.
    Skyy - average, if have other choices would not drink it.

To me it's about the taste and the feeling in the morning. I think samagon is much better. My uncle makes great Buryachiha, puts it though Aktivirovannyi Ugol, good stuff.