OT:ya vodochki xlopnul...The Vodka Thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Zenit, Jun 10, 2005.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Re: OT: Vodka appreciation thread

Regarding pretension - the biggest difference b/w vodkas is not how you feel the same day, but the next morning. The better the vodka, the less the headache (assuming equal quantities consumed).

Now, more expensive doesn't mean better. Each person's body gets used to a certain brand / type. So, my list was very specific to my preferences and how my body reacts to each of these brands both the night of drinking and the morning after.

2. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Me too, and for once I couldn't agree more with Shurik :D Perhaps this is due to a self-serving bias, however, as I grasp at any straw that helps me achieve "expert" status, whatever the category.

3. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Nope, that's the biggest difference between people.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Since this is a vodka related thread, i'll pose this first immature question. Yes, you guessed it. What is the most amount if alcohol you drank in one night(not one day). I'll go first.
    500 gramm - the 2nd worst feeling i ever had after drinking. I wanted to die.
    Next?

5. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

500 and went out for a three-beer Pecene Koleno dinner afterwards, the first thing I ate between 10pm the previous day and 8pm of that day. It was in Prague. But, as I said before, in our line of business there are periods of time where you technically cease being human.
    In my humanoid form, never more than 100 grams, mostly because otherwise it interfered with my enjoyment of zakuski.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

vodka and beer? :eek: Lovely, yet deadly combo.

7. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

As I said, do not try this at home.
    The funniest episode occured several days earlier, in the city of Ostrava, world-famous for its raw sewage running down the streets. As Mr. Anatoliy Bardin, the general manager of the Russian national hockey team was about to generously treat the most distinguished members of our trade to a championship-capping banquet.
    The first thing he ordered was Slivovice. When the busboy told him he'd be right back with mineral water and will take his order afterwards, Mr. Bardin frowned his brow and said that mineral water doesn't agree with his stomach. And that the only food we will require will be beer.

It wa a nice evening, altogether, though Tolya evnetually left without paying the bill.

8. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

Y samuyi ne phewshie is vseh muzikov
    U meny yest moralnaya cila....

Visotski is turning over in his grave. :cool:

9. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Which (the grave, not the turning), I may add, is the direct result of not adhereing to The Not Drinking Yourself Stupid Rule.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am young and poor, so I do not have much to add, but I will try.

Before I list, I do have to say that I agree with whoever made the argument that vodka is there to get you drunk, not to be fancy. Since moving away to school in August, $13 plastic bottle vodka tastes pretty good to me when chilled.

1. Kettle One - I stole a bottle recently and it was marvelous. Let it be known that it was my 1st bottle of vodka worth more than $13 in around 7 months, so it may have just been due to comparison.
    2. Van Gogh - I like this stuff a lot. Maybe only because it was the 1st "fancy" vodka I ever had.
    3. Grey Goose - Just good stuff.

Thats where my list of "fancies" end. Personally I think Absolut and Smirnoff are nasty. I prefer the plastic bottle stuff.

11. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

This rule really demonstrates your Moldovan ancestery :D .

Anyway, the most drunk was splitting 3/4 bottle of Stoli with a buddy on an empty stomach, going to a Thai restaurant and finishing a bottle of red wine. Going to a dance club and continuing drinking with said buddy. Going to a strip club, then going to another strip club (smartly leaving the car in the first said parking lot). Falling asleep on the catwalk and pissing off the strippers in the process. Waking up the next day, not remembering where I left the car. Having my girlfriend drive around to the various stip clubs looking for my car. Calling the police to report the car stolen. Then remembering where I left it. Having the same girlfriend (the same day) drive me to the correct strip club. My buddy had alchohol poisening. Hoever, I just had no tang for about two weeks.

12. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the looks of it, this gentleman is working on 0,5 #2.

I can remember a few times going through 500gs & being pretty much a puddle afterwards. But I've never had THAT bad of a hangover to compare to the granddaddy of all hangovers...April 2nd, 1988, the day after Blood Donor Day (translation: day off for a bunch of soldiers in close proximity to the discount liquor store on the base) at the Presidio of Monterey, California, and the last time I came within spitting distance of a bottle of tequila.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Since i mentioned my 2nd worse drinking episode, here is the winner of my life.

Don't remember the day, but it was after a late night roller hockey game at UC Davis.

Started out with 4 or 5 cans of Keystone beer. Then, three of us, finished a 3/4th 1.75Liter bottle of Smirnovka. And finally, to top off the great mood we were in at 2 a.m., 50grams of straigt up Gin. I literally almost hanged myself the next day. I won't even go into what we did after that night.

P.S. Please don't play tennis on a hot summer day in Davis with a hangover. It's really not worth it.
    P.P.S. Please, don't ever drink Gin straight. It's also not worth it.

14. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

Edited by VLADYD :)

15. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ugh, I wholeheartedly agree. Gin ranks right behind tequila as evil concoctions best left alone.

16. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Is it any different from whiskey? Because whiskey, unlike any sort of brandy, I can live with.

17. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

Whiskey can be good in small doses. Goes great with cigars, just like Cognac.

But good Vodka (not samogon) will make you happy. Brown liquor (whiskey, scotch, congnag) gives you a bad hangover. Almost as bad as red wine.

18. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's some rotgut whiskey best left avoided (Wild Turkey) but on the whole, I don't mind whiskey either, although I prefer either a blended scotch or Irish whiskey (I'm sure some single malt purists will be along shortly to castigate me for this.) However, I very rarely will buy it, only if I know someone is coming over who happens to like it.

I haven't bought a bottle of gin in 5+ years, and I haven't bought a bottle of tequila, or otherwise touched the stuff, for 17+ years.

19. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

Anyway, top five vodka's. All Stolichnay of course:

1. Strait
    2. Greyhound (with Grapefruit Juice)
    3 Tonic
    4. Cape Cod (with cranberry)
    5. Sea Breeze (cranbery with grapefruit)

Need to be carefull not to pour too much juice. With my upcoming visit to Russia I need to be carefull to eliminate numbers 2 thru 5 from my menu. Need to get back to the first couple of pages for zakuski. How about krasnaya ikra na chernom xlebe c maslom.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Or you can read Moskva-Petushki, and add 2-10 on your list of things you COULD drink. ;)

21. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is a winner for me, sans the butter ;) Why, oh why, isn't aren't the black vaiants cheaper?? Such a cruel God!!! (sevruga is my personal fav)

22. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Bliny s krasnoy ikroy cannot be underestimated.. and french baguette with red caviar is pure heaven on earth. and it does go all too well with vodka.

23. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

Please, I cant wait to have this when I go visit.

24. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Why wait, just go over to the Russian store and enjoy yourself :D

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Aren't there any Russian gastronomi in Washington area? Shurik should know.