OT:ya vodochki xlopnul...The Vodka Thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Zenit, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OT: Vodka appreciation thread

I'll start. I was inspired to start this thread because I received a bottle from a friend yesterday; I'd had this particular brand In January, mighty fine stuff.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure whether the implication here is whether consumption of said product would actually help while tending to the nets in hockey, but I'm willing to find out, soley for scientific purposes, of course.

We had a thread like this a few crashes ago, time to resurrect it, methinks.

To get the ball rolling...

Zenit's Top 5:

1. Gzhelka (LIVIZ, SPb)
    2. Sokrovishche Rusi (I think Kristall, Moscow-easily the best available here in the US, on a regular basis)
    3. Ketel One (God bless the Dutch for the first salute to the American Colonies off of St. Eustatius, Total Voetbal, Oranje, their excellent pubs & Ketel One.)
    4. Beryozovaya (Belaco-unique taste with the birch added, took some getting used to but very distinctive.)
    5. Tito's Handmade Vodka (Texas...yeah, go ahead & laugh it up, but this stuff is made the same manner as Ketel One & is excellent. The best American vodka, IMHO)

Honorable Mention: Zubrovka (just because!)
    Shaker's (from Minnesota; at $30/bottle, it had better be good, and it is)
    Krystall (the signature brand from Moscow, not the one sold here)
    Vox (Poland)
    Velikiy Novgorod (guess from where?)
    Ston (Estonia, the same distillery that does Tall Blonde Vodka, also good)
    GoalKeeper (Brest)
    Finlandia, regular & cranberry

Zenit's 5 MOST OVER-RATED:

1. (tie) Absolut (ostensibly from Sweden) & Grey Goose (France.) Absolut is a great example of fabulous advertising & marketing of an inferior product. As a result, witness the dorks that go into a bar & order an Absolut Bloody Mary or an Absolut Screwdriver. What?? Geez, just go with the house pour if you're going to cover it up with spicy tomato juice or OJ!!! As for the Goose-truly awful, with a funny aftertaste & expensive as hell to boot. Yuk.
    2. 3 Olives (England)-yeah, it's OK, but nowhere near deserving the #1 spot it earned in an international competition a few years back.
    3. Puhre (France)-I think these guys are out of business, and thank goodness for that, because this stuff also had a goofy aftertaste & was pricey. Only had it once, which was one time too many.
    4. Kleiner Fegling Vodka (Germany)-vodka infused with figs. Just doesn't work. Trust me.
    5. Blavod (I think Poland, but not sure). The black vodka, odd flavor and looks like motor oil in a shot glass. Doesn't do much for me.

Dishonorable mention:
    Starka (numerous distilleries in Russia-guaranteed hangover material)
    Rain (USA-"organic" vodka (whatever that means) with a big price tag & not much to justify it.)
    Zhirinovskaya (Yes, there is such a beast, and yes, it is about as distasteful, harsh & overbearing as its namesake)
    Inferno (I've never been much of a fan of pertsovka, and I certainly don't feel like paying big $$$ for a pepper flavored vodka that costs about 6 times more than an authentic bottle could be had for in Russia).

2. Metalist

Metalist Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Re: OT: Vodka appreciation thread

I got to say I’m not much of a connoisseur – having alcohol as the very last drug I’ve tried and the least favorite…. I will stand up for Grey Goose though’
    – it is simply the best – it’s the only vodka that I actually can taste as different… well actually to have “no” taste – as should chilled vodka taste IMHO….

….Ahhh I remember the celebration of the turn of the century and me trying the old happy juice for the first time and for the first time vomiting on my friends boots because of his stupid suggestion: “why dontcha vomit – it will make you feel better” – so I instantly took his advice…

BTW if you have a hang over - activated charcoal is a must - they sell those pills in any GNC

3. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

This is so much better than Grey Goose and less expensive...

[​IMG]

If you like flavored Hangar 1 is the best:

[​IMG]

4. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

Razhdennim polzat ne dano letat. Ya planokur.

5. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

See, Zenit, your basic failure is two-pronged and typical of a foreigner, though slightly surprising in such a cultured foreigner as yourself:

1) Assuming there is such a thing as a "quality difference" between different vodkas, while as an average Russian will tell you, even if there is one, he is in no condition to either notice or appreciate it. As a matter of fact, you will probably need to pour about 10 gallons of water over the average Russian's face to even get him to gurgle anything remotely coherent for any pigeons that may be passing by. Vodka, to put it in simple terms, is not consumed because of the nuances of its texture and bouquet. Remember, it was invented in a country where it's socially acceptable to drink scarecly diluted brake fluid and chase it down with nail polish remover.
    A normal vodka's chief advantage over the above two substances is that it is slightly less likely to result in nuclear fission inside your digestive system.
    It is quite a fascintating topic of discussion, to be sure, since it's generally the third question to be asked of any Russian by an American. After he's gone through the first two, which are usually "Wow, do you know the guy named Boris?" (The correct answer is "Yes, and tell the son of a bitch he owes me 2,000 bucks") and "So... Where in Russia are you from?" (The correct answer is absolutely irrelevant, because the American in question has never seen Russia on the map and knows no geographical names there besides probably "Siberia". Try it yourself and have a good laugh. Say "Oh, a place in the north-west called Mozambique" and see them nod understandingly), the third one will always be "So, what's the good vodka?"
    The mere fact that this question is always asked reveals the basic mysterious appeal that our national brain-cell remover has over the more sane naions of the planet Earth. They see people drink it in large quantities, they assume there must be something good about it, but upon sampling it several times and invariably concluding that the taste, smell and effect on the nervous system is roughly similar to that of a radiation-sick mutant slug, they come to wonder whether they are having the right brand.
    The correct answer, of course, is "Yes. Yes, you are. Always".

2) While there is no such thing as a "screwdriver", a Bloody Mary does indeed exist. You only have to drink it the right way, which was shown to me in Prague by a photojournalist whose idea of a quiet business trip usually includes places that end in "stan". Anyway, the key here is NEVER, ever, ever mix tomato juice with vodka. What you get this way is always a liquid that tastes like tomatoes that were left in a college-dormitory toilet for about 7 years.
    Instead, pour yourself a tall glass of tomato juice (mixing in some pepper or Tabasco, if you feel like it) and carefully, very carefully pour a shot or two of vodka on top of it, making sure it floats effortlessly on top of the juice.
    Then, if you are smart, pour it all down the nearest sink and go have yourself a Czech beer. But if you are Russian, drink it all down in one try. The juice will chase the vodka down nicely and provide a tolerable contrast in taste. Which you should always ask your friends to remind you of once you wake up next afternoon with your head wedged between the legs of your chair.

6. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

but, I do like Inferno Vodka perzovka....oi, xorosha! Zenit you're all wrong about Inferno. It's kind of pricey but it's the best perzovka I've tried. It doesn't feel watered down. The only downside is the hangover (monsterous) and the insane farts the day after.

I think Skyy is probably the best American vodka. It has a very good quality to cost ratio, it's triple distiled (like Grey Goose) and it's only $15 per liter.

7. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

Here's how to make a "proper" Bloody Mary.

1-make it with GIN. Vodka is a poor substitute.

Ok here goes:
    fill the glass up with ice cubes

2 oz vodka
    6 oz tomato juice
    1/4 freshly squeezed lime juice
    a few drops of Tobasco
    a few drops of Worcestershire sauce

Stir, DO NOT shake, it will bubble if you do.

Garnish with a stick of salary or fried shrimps on a stick.

8. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmm, I think I'll pass on Bloody Marys altogether. Your recipe doesn't sound all that much more appetizing, to be honest.

Shurik, I'm sure you would agree, that, while vodka is supposed to be tasteless, odorless, all that jazz, there are certain varieties that are better than others, brands that don't scald your throat raw on the way down like any old can of kerosene. Of course, as with any alcohol after the first 6 or 7 swigs/shots, one is basically only renting the booze, anyway.

Reminds me a bit of college days. My roommate & I would go down to Ye Olde Booze Shoppe with $10 or so in hand; we'd buy ourselves a 6 pck of Sam Adams Scotch Ale (sadly, no longer produced, IMHO the best that SA ever made) & spend the other $6 on whatever cheap swill we could buy the most of (usual cuplrits being Pfiefer, Hauenstein, Red, White & Blue, or Grain Belt (affectionately referred to as Brain Melt by the locals)). The point being, after three decent beers one could rather care less about the 4th & points beyond, especially when it came to any semblance of taste; again, after three beers one just becomes a human recycling machine, so why pay big $$$ for No.s 4 & beyond?

9. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

A fine recipe, as long as your goal does not in any way involve getting the concoction anywhere withing three feet of your actual mouth.

10. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

You make some good points Shurik, vodka is not a conneisseurs drinks. I drink it when I want to get ********ed up. There's little room for snobbery.

11. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Precisely the point! But we shall continue to convince Americans otherwise, since there are scant other opportunities to get them to spend money in Russia (the others being prostitutes and women's leather jackets).

12. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just not crazy about pertsovka, period, I guess. The last time I had some was the day after the Leningrad concert last year, in Chicago, at a wonderful little restaraunt called Little Lv'iv (or Lv'ov, take your pick) in the Ukrainian Village. As one might imagine, the head of yours truly was feeling the effects of the night before; the relatively authentic buffet breakfast went a long way towards righting the ship, but invariably someone just HAD to have a little hair o' the dog at 10 AM in the morning, and of course, a positively evil-smelling bottle of Ukrainian pertsovka was produced for consumption. The end result of such foolishness is, of course, predictable. And I'll agree with you 110% about the hangover. The only vodka that has made me feel worse the morning after is Starka.

Skyy is not bad, I like it too...but, wow, I can't remember the last time I saw it for $15/ltr. Around here it's right up there with that crappy Absolut & Finlandia for price.

13. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

Imagine "Sideways 2: from Russia in a Coma" set somewhere in Voronezh visiting local distilleries.

14. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

I had two of those and was able to walk out on my own power and chase it down with an enormous quantity of Urquell. Be warned, however, that the nervous and digestive systems of an overworked journalist on a European trip are not 100% related to those of actual human beings. I once wrote a 24,000-character article in about 10 hours with no sustinance other than a half-liter bottle of Slivovice, which was later discovered to have contained Stoli.
    Your results may and will vary.

You are correct to outline the exact criteria, but truth be said, after you have sampled the Soviet "port wine", pretty much all commercial brands will easily fit it.

15. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bwa-ha-ha. :D Repped!!

16. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

As for the dreaded hangover, it can usually be avoided by the time honoured, yet extremely difficult to master secret technique of Not Drinking Yourself Stupid To The Point Of Being Positioned On the IQ Scale Somewhere Below Wall Plaster.

Vodka is very much a social drink, but one tends to become extremely intraverted when squatting over a toilet bowl, so do keep things in perspective. A loaf of Borodinsky, some sprats out of a can, cucumbers, sausage, good stories to tell and a bottle of Absolutely Anyting 40% And Above will make for a good Victory Day party. Retching from the balcony is really strictly optional.

17. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

Well, sir, to be entirely honest I always thought it was a part of the ritual.

18. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...which leads us to a related subject...what best to accompany said bottle of vodka at the table?

For me, it has always been:

Pickled mushrooms
    Smoked salmon on dark rye
    "Nemetskoye" salo

The last item is a subject of intense debate around these parts. I use this term because that is what the local Russian deli labels it as; heavily seasoned with salt, pepper, and unlike the usual shimmering white block of 100% pork fat that goes for salo, this particular variety actually has some hints of actual meat! However, my Ukrainian neighbor is adamant abou the fact that this is NOT salo at all (ostensibly due to the presence of a few shreds of meat), just a bad cut of bacon, and has taken great pains to point out to the proprietor that it should not be labeled as salo at all.

19. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Please to elaborate

20. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

I love all salo, but I particularly favor the type of salo that has lots of red hot ground pepper on the edges..Yum.

My other favorites:
    pickles
    marinaded vegetables
    scalions & salt
    cold hard boiled eggs
    shashlyk with hot georgian sauce

21. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

marinaded/pickled mushrooms are great too

and don't forget Zavtrak Turista also known as Spam.

22. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Pelmeni. Definitely pelmeni.

23. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

How come nobody mentioned Pizdyatina?

24. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Best brand of vodka? Why don't we have a thread on "best brand of fish fat"?

The only difference between vodka and fish fat is that the latter has some unexplained and frankly dubious health benefits, while vodka quite clearly provides great immediate improvements to one's previously depressed mood. Which is the only reason why I ever drink it, by the glass.

If one must drink vodka socially and outside of the company of macho Russians (say on a Cancun beach), it should be consumed in a taste-numbing mixture with orange or cranberry juice, or both.

25. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Someone should take you out to that cheerfull place featured in The Clockwork Orange for a few days.