OT - Premiership Team of the Season?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Skizz, May 16, 2007.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Actually, as a pure shot stopper, James may well be the equal of Cech. He has always had amazing reflexes (the save against Lampard three season ago was unreal). But that's never been his problem and I can't believe anyone would want him as the England number one. He's always had a big problem with time and decisions. When shots are coming at him, he can save most anything. But when he has long stretches of time with nothing to do or games where his positioning is key his brain turns to jelly. Which is how you get performances like the one against Denmark - it was simply appalling to watch.
    What really sets Cech apart isn't his ability to save shots (though he's probably as good at that as any keeper in the league) - its his positioning and decision making. I can't recall more than one instance all season where I thought "Cech made a bad decision". He always knows when to come out for the ball and eats up almost any cross. His play is paramount in why he doesn't need to make a lot of saves in the first place. As Sepp Maier once said, the most important saves are the ones you don't have to make. Cech is brilliant at that whereas James never will be. Which is why David James has spent most of his career playing at mediocre sides after failing at the big ones.

2. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Cech

Finnan
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Essien
    Giggs