OT (kinda) -- Dish, Direct, or cable?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Allan Quatermain, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Moving into an apartment in the District, and I have to figure what to get. For soccer and DCU purposes, I obviously want to get Comcast Sports, ESPN 2, and Fox Sports World.

I also would like to get the MLS package next year (and maybe the EPL for the rest of the season), which would seem to lock me into the Dish Network or Direct TV.

Anybody have any great thoughts, experiences, ideas, you'd like to share about these options? My previous experiences have been with DC Cable and with Starpower, neither of which has been good.

Many thanks for your troubles.

AQ

2. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I'm gonna piggyback on this thread and include Arlington. Anyone in Arlington have Gol TV and want to tell me how to get it?

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had COMCAST when I lived in Alexandria - the only Fox channel I could get was FSE. Not bad, but not optimum if you don't habla.

Now I live in an area where cable isn't an option and I had to get a dish. I have DirecTV and I'll never go back. I get FSW, Comcast, plus about a dozen ESPN channels. I get Univision and a few other spanish language channels which menas I have several options for Mexican league games, and usually I get at least 2 or 3 live games a weekend. I also get the EPL pay-per-view package and MLS Direct Kick. I don't have Gol TV (although to be honest I haven't looked to see if it's available as an upgrade, but about the only channel I don't get is FSE because it costs a few more $ and I get about all the soccer I can handle.

IMHO, if you have a choice, get DirecTV.

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    There was a lengthy discussion about this over the early portion of the summer. Many people discussed a package that COMCAST (aka filthy thieving bastards) offered which was a Sports Tier Package. It finally became available up here in baltimore and I got it and I have to admit I am thoroughly happy I did. I am not sure if it is offered in the district but it is very inexpensive.

If you order or already have extended basic cable you simply (and I use that lossely as this is COMCAST) call COMCAST and tell them you want to Sport Tier Package it is 4.99 a month. You trade your regualr basic cable box for a digital cable box. you will then get all the channels on extended including CSN/ESPN2/Univision this will cover a large portion of the DC matches and the Sunday 1pm Mexican matches. You also get FSW which will cover a large majority of EPL matches, Bundesliga matches, French and some Italian matches. Not to mention some MLS as well. GolTV which will cover a large amount of Bolivian, Brazilian, Mexican, Italian, Spanish matches. Also has CSTV COllege SPorts TV which you can watch College matches, and about three college sports channels stacked with College pointy ball and an NBA channel.
    You also get access to about 25 digital music channels (so-so) and PPV matches, of course double and triple check with COMCAST because they are always hit or miss, just ask Lowecifer and the three other guys that ahd to get updates on the US/El Salvador match online because the PPV didn't come through. ;)
    It gives me my fix quite nicely and quite inexpensively.

5. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I'm in Montgomery County, MD and I have Comcast with the Sports Tier. I get the Fox Sports World, Goal-TV, the NBA channel, the NFL channel, the speed channle, and some regional sports channels. It's not a bad package. They offer the MLS package, but you obviously don't need it for DC games on CSN, or MLS games on ESPN2 or FSW. Fox Sports Espanol is part of the spanish-language package so I don't have it.

Everyone I know with DirectTV w/ integrated TiVo loves it. If your apartment has a view of the south and your building allows DirecTV, get it. I would if I could. (Although, that's also driven by DirecTV being the only provider with the NFL package.)

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my next step. I knew getting DirecTV would lead to harder stuff. TIVO is like crack for TV junkies.

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do either DirecTV, Dish, or COMCAST have ESPN Deportes as an option? BTW, he also has StarPower as an option for cable as well.

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    DISH 180 channel package has Gol TV as well as FSW and the usual Comcast, ESPN2, etc. If you miss Ray Hudson, you have to get Gol TV.

TiVo is not dependent on DirecTV.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is technically true. If you have a standalone TiVo, then you can use it with DirecTV, DISH Network, cable, or even just over-the-air TV. I had mine connected to a DISH Network receiver when I had DISH Network and I've got it connected to a DirecTV receiver now that I've got DirecTV, and it works pretty damn well either way.

HOWEVER...

DirecTV is the only provider which offers receivers with the integrated TiVo, all in one box. And speaking from a year's experience with one, it kicks even more ass than the standalone TiVo. For one thing, everything is a lot more seamless. For another, you get two tuners, meaning you can watch one thing off live TV while recording another, or you can record two things at once, while with a standalone TiVo, you've only got one tuner, so if it's recording something, you can't watch something else off live TV.

DISH offers its own PVR, but honestly, it's not that great. If you're absolutely committed to DISH, I would honestly recommend getting the most basic receiver and hooking it to a standalone TiVo, rather than getting the mediocre DISH PVR.

Now, as for the two services, they're pretty much the same, in terms of price and programming options. Both offer Direct Kick. Both offer Fox Sports World. Both offer the EPL pay-per-views, if you're interested in paying for that rip-off. Both offer Washington and Baltimore local channels. Both offer Comcast SportsNet (the Washington one, that is). Neither offers ESPN Deportes. The differences?

* DISH offers Gol TV, DirecTV doesn't. Doesn't make much difference to me, but maybe you're interested in Serie A or La Liga or one of the many Latin American leagues that they show.

* DirecTV offers NFL Sunday Ticket, DISH doesn't. I mention this only because many soccer fans also like the NFL.

For me, the overriding factor in my own DirecTV-DISH decision was TiVo. I don't care all that much about any of the leagues that Gol TV shows, so not having Gol TV didn't make much difference to me. Fox Sports World covers the leagues that interest me.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Thanks for clarifying the issues Dustin. I'm glad that you saw and posted on this thread.

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    You would think if he is that smart he would root for DC!!!

I am a Dish subscriber with a standalone Tivo on one of my TVs. I chose Dish over DirectTV 4 years ago or so because at that time to get 3 TVs hooked up with all the channels I wanted, Dish was a good bit cheaper per month. I have not gone back and looked to see if this is still the case. The only problem I have using Dish and Tivo is the Tivo Remote does not work 100% on changing channels. If you hit the 3 numbers too quickly it may miss one and go to channel 30 instead of 300. Other than that it is a great system.

12. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks to Dustin and everyone else for the wise counsel. I already have Tivo, and I went ahead and got the Dish. They had a good package to deal with several TVs.

Now I just hope that there are no problems with my non-south-facing apartment ...

13. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    If you are attempting to get High Definition DC and MLS games, your best bet is Starpower. They carry HDNet and CSN-HD. Comcast does not have HDNet. DISH and Directv do not have CSN-HD. Starpower has Fox Sports World and espanol. I don't know if they have the shootout or not, but they might, I don't have nearly enough time to catch anymore soccer than is on HDNet, espn2, and FSW.

The one advantage that I've found for Starpower is that they are actually pretty cheap if you get internet, phone, and TV all in one.

Now, just to put the argument to rest: CSN-HD carried 7 DC home games in high def. This obviously is not as nice as having away in HD. However, they do replay all of these high-def games the night of or day after, so you get a chance to watch yourself pick your nose on TV the day after. For me, it came in mega handy as I had to miss two home games (sick for one, had a car break down for the other) and got to watch them live in HD on CSN-HD. It was quite a pleasure.

Cheers,
    Tim

14. Don't discount the DishNetwork DVR out of hand. One advantage to the Dish DVR is that it has a 100-hour recording capacity, which I think is considerably more than the Tivo offered by DirectTV. It also seamlessly operates as both the receiver and recorder. And if you buy a fairly comprehensive programming package (like America's Everything Pak--which is 180 channels plus all the movie channels) they waive the monthly DVR fee. I think DirectTV does this as well. I really can't speak to what the technical advantages might be of Tivo over the Dish DVR, but I'm pretty damn happy with my Dish DVR/receiver.

As mentioned, only Dish carries Gol TV. I really enjoy getting to see Ronaldinho and Gol seems to carry a Barca game pretty frequently, maybe every other week. In fact, yesterday, they carried Barca's Cope del Rey game.

Also, at least one year (this year? last year?) the MLS Direct Kick package offered by DirectTV was not as inclusive as the one offered by Dish. But this changes from year to year.

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Oh yeah, one other thing. Dish subscribers now are also SIRIUS satellite radio subscibers. You only have to buy the receiver. I have not done this yet, anyone here tried it?

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Comcast Montgomery County DOES have HDnet..at least its on my channel listings when I flip through, although since my TV is regular it obviously cant watch it..

17. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    A couple of points from a fellow D.C. apt.-dweller:

Before you look into DirecTV, make sure you can get it. Unless you live in a big building with a universal hook-up for residents, a dish might not work for you. It didn't for me, and I blew off a half day of work waiting for installers to tell me that my building isn't facing the right way to get the signal from somewhere over Texas.

Someone already posted that DISH network pulls in more MLS Direct Kick games than DirectTV. From what I've seen of the schedules, the difference there is only one or two games a year. But for some reason, both the satellite networks offer more Direct Kick matches than In-Demand, which is what you'd have via Starpower or Comcast. Down the stretch, In-Demand/Comcast kept skipping Wednesday games that the two satellite networks carried. Regardless, Direct Kick is a great bargain, IMO, at $60 or $69 a year (they just added SJ@KC to this Saturday's sched).

In the District, both Starpower and Comcast offer FoxSportsWorld, but Comcast requires that you pay $5 extra to get it, in a soccer tier that also includes Gol, but not FoxSport Espanol. Gol seems to be expanding their coverage--they showed the US Open Cup final between KC and Chicago, and showed Sunday's AC Milan-Inter match live (and how cool is it to hear Ray Hudson doing color for a Brazil-Argentina WC qualifier, trying to find clever English ways to call Ronaldo "fat").

Alas, Starpower isn't available in my area, and my windows face Iceland instead of Texas, so Comcast is the only option I have.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is mostly true -- mostly. DirecTV now offers larger capacity DirecTiVos, including 100-hour models. And it's pretty easy to expand the recording capacity of a DirecTiVo -- I expanded mine from 40 hours to about 200 hours with only about an hour's work.
    This is true.
    The difference lies mostly in the more advanced name-based recording capabilities of the TiVo software. For example, I have a "Season Pass" on my TiVo at home that records the new episodes of CSI shown on CBS. It doesn't record repeats, it doesn't record CSI off of other channels, and it'll follow CSI around if CBS decides to change the day and time.

Another neat capability is the "Wish List" capability. You can have TiVo record things based on a certain keyword or actor or director or genre. My TiVo has a Wish List that automatically records all football-related programs with the keyword "Oilers" in the title or description, so that whenever some show comes on some channel that deals with my beloved but departed Houston Oilers, TiVo will record it. Sachin will be happy to know that it recorded an NFL Game of the Week program off of ESPN Classic about the 1979 AFC Championship game between Houston and Pittsburgh, and Mike Renfro did have control of the ball as he went out of the endzone.

Most other PVRs (like DISH's) are like VCRs in that they're time-based -- basically they record things at set dates and times, and they're unable to follow them around.

IMHO, TiVo is really the Cadillac of PVRs and it's the reason why I would recommend a standalone TiVo with a DISH system over an integrated DISH PVR.