OT: July 4th Eastern Conference results

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Some doozy's on July 4th.

Results below:

Metros 2
    RSL 2

Metros throw away two points by going up two goals and going up a man (Dunseth sent off for RSL) only to blow the lead. Questionable PK awarded to RSL in 90th minute for tying goal.

Go to Metros In-game thread for some sweet bellyaching action (approx page 12 or 13)

Galaxy 1
    Revs 1

Revs tie the game on literally the last kick of the match. Andy Dorman pounces on a loose ball in the box to tie the match. Controversy here in this game perhaps as well as ref Michael Kennedy signals for 3 minutes of stoppage time yet allows the free kick preceeding the goal well into the 4th minute of stoppage time. I would like to see this unwritten rule of allowing teams to take free kicks after stoppage time runs out. Tough titties I say.

KC 1
    Rapids 2

Yet another strange game where Kansas takes a one goal lead, goes up a man in the first half (peguerro sent off for Crapids) and then proceeds to bunker in ( :eek: ) and allow two second half goals whilst a man up. Classic stuff.

Andy, I hope to see you on Saturday. :D

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Agree- those were some wierd results. However the Rapids by law have to win of july 4. (They are now 9-1 I believe.)

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Those are some solid results. I would definitely neg rep FSC for their crappy broadcast tonight, including not relaying any scores from the other two matches being played during the Revs/LA game.

That being said, and I know it gave New England a point which doesn't help United much, there aren't too many better sights in MLS than a Steve Sampson led team blowing a game on literally the last play. As soon as the free kick was sent into the box you could tell it was going to be a goal, and it was glorious.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    32-New England
    32-Chicago
    22-DC United
    22-Kansas City
    21-Metrostars
    14-Columbus

CLB, DC, NE, MET have played 15 games, KC 16, and CHI 18.

What's interesting is that CLB has already played 9 home games, and they're still way in last, so they will probably not make a run at all.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    And a DC win on Saturday would be very big, as it would put United three points clear of Kansas City with a game in hand as well.

Very big game.

And who knows, maybe the Galaxy will figure out how the F to win a game outside of HDC and beat the Metros, as well. Although, a draw coupled with a United win would work almost as well.

3rd edit: Chicago and New England play each other, too, so if United wins then they'll gain points on at least one, if not both teams.

Could be a great weekend if DC can snag the three points from the Wizards. Is Andy Mead coming to this one?

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The reason Peguerro was sent off is because he tried to imitate Maradona's "Hand of God" goal not once but twice :eek:

Got busted both times.

Sachin

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody was taping them.

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Who does he think he is, Judah Cooks?

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It works a little better when you do it on defense like Judah did. Just ask Torsten Frings. :rolleyes:

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Johnny Torres' reaction after that was classic. He was the only one on the field who could see Cooks swat the ball away and practically threw a tantrum in front of the ref.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Or Jon O'Brien.

Sachin

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Three points from boring boring Arse, er, I mean KC this weekend would really be nice as we head towards the All Star break. I'm also of the opinion that if we have to use a depleted roster in Rochester to give us a better chance of taking points in the league, then by all means we should do it. I'd love to see us win USOC games, but not if that means losing league games.

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The Rochester game is just a friendly, isn't it?

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the Metros blowing a chance to get all three helps much more than any kind of result for the Rev's hurts us. I simply can't fathom NE falling apart so badly that they miss the playoffs altogether, so I think 'catching up' to them is pretty meaningless. Leapfrogging the Metros is more relevant, IMHO.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It is? I just assumed it was a USOC match. If it's just a friendly, we should reschedule it.

16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also can't fathom NE not making the playoffs; but that doesn't mean catching up to them is meaningless. Not that I think it's likely at this point -- but if it happened, it wouldn't be meaningless. I think playing the ECC at home last year was huge.

17. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Agreed.

We trail them by 10 points with 17 games remaining. Tough but not impossible.

Too early to rule out our "best case scenario"!

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Now's the time to do it, with most of their starting lineup out, and they have all the depth of Demi Moore playing Lady Macbeth.