(OT) I honestly tried. (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Delta Blues, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I decided I'd try to at least be supportive of Mexico as they represent our region, but it lasted about five minutes. As soon as they scored it was like they had put one past Keller. I jumped up and screamed for joy when Argentina equalized. Basically I have to admit to hating their cheating, diving, faking guts and there's nothing I can do about it. I think it's permanently ingrained.

2. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: (OT) I honestly tried.

I've found myself rooting against Mexico as soon as every match starts despite telling myself I'd root for them.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville

I have a feeling there are a heck of a lot of folks like us concerning MExican't. Fess up folks!

4. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ

I'm with you. the only game I wanted to see Mexico win was the one against Iran, for obvious reasons. Now that we are out of it I would like to see someone new win it, Holland, Spain, Portugal but certianly not Mexico. I could not stand it for one second if they had that over us knowing we are the better team.

5. GaetjensGhost

GaetjensGhost New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    In the USA
    Tri-colors played very well and deserved the win. They played harder in 1 match than we did in 3...and their passing made ours look like an 8th grade scrimmage. If there are any cheater/divers on the pitch...it was clearly the Argies.

Can we wait til WC Qualifying or the Gold Cup before we get back to all the anti-Mexico schtick?

We need to fix our own house before belting out on our neighbors.

6. Dirty_South_Futbol

Dirty_South_Futbol New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad that there are others like me...lol.

I couldn't help it either. I told myself before the game,"ok, today i am gonna root for Mexico. They are our southern neighbors, they are fellow Concacaf'ers, and my dislike for them is unreasonable and often mean-spirited. Go Mexico!"

10 minutes later, I am screaming for Argentina to equalize. After halftime, I am yelling for Messi to get out there and punish the tricolores, and after that beautriful goal to put Argentina up, I went ecstatic. It is impossible for me to root for mexico. I even have mexican friends, and I still want the Tricolores to lose every game. I really am sorry and feel guilty, but oh well. :eek:

7. Dirty_South_Futbol

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

see, I was rooting for Iran in that game:eek:

I guess that is how bad the rivalry is for me.

8. Dirty_South_Futbol

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um...guess you didn't see the Italy match. I thought we played pretty hard.

As for the rest of your post, I agree:)

9. GaetjensGhost

GaetjensGhost New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    In the USA
    No.... I saw it....but I give the nod to the Mexicans for their ball handling/passing skills at every position...We played hard against Italy in a defensive sense...not in an offensive sense...that was the main difference today.

10. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

Same here.

11. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

Mexico did play well but they by no means deserved the win. Argentina was much sharper on the day and towards the end Mexico played with the same urgency that the US did vs Ghana. And being a US fan is year round, you hate Mexico every time they play not just when we are playing well. Join the 365 anti-tri movement.

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came out of that game having a lot of respect for the Mexican players, especially Marquez. He's just class.

It's funny, though. I still can't root for those bastards. I found myself pulling for them in OT once Argentina had scored, and the only reason was because I wanted more tension in the game and for Argentina to drive one more stake into the Mexican hearts. I never truly wanted Mexico to win.

Mexican fans should be proud. Their team played with heart and pride and fought a good game against maybe the best team in the tournament. But I can never root for them.

13. jerseydan

jerseydan New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    I thought they put forth a good effort, and I told their fans so. We are, after all, inextricably linked, joined at the hip with Mexico. Same with Canada. Though the Salvadoran couple I was just talking to were happy as hell to see Mexico lose. And the Brazilian guys installing my hardwood floors had nothing good to say about Argentina....

14. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can never root for those stinkers!

15. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    I didn't even try. CONCACAF pride be damned. After the 2002 game and the way they played the last 10-15 minutes of that game, I couldn't root for Mexico if they were playing against a team of criminals.

Even when Mexico played against Iran, I was rooting for Iran. Although we may have our differences with the nation of Iran, and the government of Iran, I have no problems with the Iranian soccer team.

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rooted for them against Iran, and that will probably be the only time in my life I will do so.