OT: ESPN THE MAG: South Africa 2010

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by JamesTaylor, Mar 17, 2008.

1. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little scary as to what's happening down there...

I'm conflicted about a trip to the SA2010 WC in light of Z010. Our first season in the league... Maybe if we have an extended road trip.

2. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, it is troubling...I'd really like to see WC2010 go off successfully, and I hope that the South African national team can at least make a run to the knockout stage or a miraculous run beyond that (a la co-host South Korea in '02). It would be unlikely, but would probably go a long way into reviving national unity.

As far as going to WC vs going to Philly's games, I feel like going to a World Cup would be an experience that could not be matched by any other sporting event. Meanwhile, I'll probably have Philly season tickets for the rest of my life, so I can sacrifice a couple of summer games, even if it is the inaugural season.

3. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right. And I'll be able to scratch another continent off the list.

Then I'll have four to go...:eek:

4. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WC 2050 Antarctica!

5. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? ? ? :confused:
    You won't have any conflict - world leagues won't be playing, over half the Philly team will be starting for the USMNT, and you will win the FREE TICKET raffle.

6. Jpizz3

Jpizz3 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Hatboro
    You have to remember, every Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Wigan, Nottingham Forest, whatever supporter it might be, they always root for England. We need to keep the same intensity for the US. Whatever supporters we might lose to the World Cup in South Africa, potentially myself included, we need to remember to not be bitter because no matter what it's country over club, bottom line. (And never do a man on the deck!)

7. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to take Liverpool fans off your list, but a nice sentiment.

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so you know, that kind of changes over time. Not so much for the World Cup, but just wait until Philadelphia starts getting players called up for a particular year's Poland friendly, and miss a critical MLS game.

Club/Country, Country/Club, the lines get blurred from time to time.

9. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. It's the club that pays the bills but playing for your country is the ultimate dream for some players. As far as supporters, I feel it should be country over club but again I can see how it can get dicey. That guy who is your teammate one day is now your opponent on the international stage and from a supporters point of view that guy who you cheered for can become the guy you boo. I look at it as US against the world. Look at it this way, if Philly wins a MLS Cup we celebrate on a regional stage but if the US would win the World Cup we celebrate on an international stage.

10. soccerdad1150

soccerdad1150 Member

Sep 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before anyone goes off saying they are going etc., take a look at the realities. Flights are slightly less than 2K right now and minimum travel time between Philly and Cape Town is 29 hours...

http://travel.travelocity.com/flights/AirSearch.do?SEQ=12059376398752192008

I actually took my family and a whole U-14 team to the WC in Germany and it was fantastic. (www.titansingermany.com) We all had a great time and could not wait for another opportunity to travel and support the nats on the Big stage. But I'm sitting SA 2010 out -- too much $$$$, too much uncertainty. Looks like we'll get similar game times as Germany as SA is 6 hours different than EST.

Plus -- if SA falls on its face -- which is entirely possible -- the US could be awarded the games - this has already been discussed. We could put on a fantastic show with less than a year's notice -- shit could probably do it in 6 months. Not that I'm rooting for that to happen -- would love to see SA pull it off.. Just sayin....

And there will be ZOLOs!!!!!!

11. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Country over club. Always.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah?

Hypothetical situation. The US is playing a friendly against Belgium in LA, the same Saturday that NY is in Philadelphia for an MLS game.

Do you:
    A. Stay Home and watch the US game?
    B. Go to a bar to watch the US game?
    C. Go to LA to watch the US game?
    D. Bring a TV to the tailgate in Chester?
    E. Wear red white and blue to the game in Chester?

If the games are concurrent, do you blow off the MLS game?

Now, there are times, like the World Cup, or WC Qualifying where there's a lot on the line for the National Team, but there will be some pretty trivial National Team games, too.

13. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in this hypothetical situation, my watching the television has no real result in the US National Teams ability to compete. So I'd still go to the game in Chester, because watching live footie is always better than watching it on television. But I'd very much support any USMNT player that also played for Philadelphia MLS to be absent from the game to play for our Nats, even in a friendly. Friendlies are important to gell and evaluate our national team, and our national team has my full and undying support at all times. MLS season or not.

Translating that into an obligation to watch television is just a bit silly, though.

Country over club. Always.

14. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great answer. It's not only my devilishly good looks you've stolen, I see...

15. YNWAPhilly

YNWAPhilly New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Folcroft/Philly, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hear, hear!