OT: ESPN bottom line

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by bigtimebuck4, Feb 19, 2008.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    anybody know if espn displays the score of a game they are currently showing on tape delay along the scroll at the bottom of the screen?

2. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN hates the (R)

3. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    Someone suggested putting some tape over the bottom of the screen to cover the ticker

4. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today they didn't show the score of the Real madrid-somebody game they were showing later on espn classic.

5. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Madrid/Roma. I was planning on watching it later on tonight, but the ********in retards showed the highlights of it during the Liverpool/Inter game. Why would you do that if you are showing that game later on on one of your other channels (ESPN Deportes).:mad:

6. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek Rae very clearly states before EVERY Champions League halftime that highlights from the other games are coming up during the break. Pay attention. And don't assume everyone has the DVR luxury.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    They kept saying during the game that they were going to show the highlights of the other games at half time and full time and suggested that if you didn't want to know the scores to not watch at those times.

Not their fault that you cannot listen properly.

8. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Bigsoccer rule 531: It's always ESPN's fault

9. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Agreed.

And during CL broadcast this has been going on for how many years now?

10. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and don't you forget!

11. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the hell are you to tell me I can't listen properly. I couldn't hear the tv because I was watching it at a family members house with a bunch of people over. There's no need to act like an ass. Does my original post about them showing the highlights really get you that wound up?

12. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I wish I have the DVR luxury. They were showing a repeat of the game on ESPN Deportes at 9.

13. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savages.

14. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    I'm not trying to get in the middle or be an ass but haven't seen CL presentations on ESPN2 before?

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow, we really are catching up to the NHL...fans.

16. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not even the half of it. I don't even get FSC. Barracks life = non-soccer conducive.

17. JaySlick

JaySlick New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Arlington
    they said a bunch of times dont watch the 1/2 time show if u wanna watch the game.

"go get a cup of tea" is what they said.

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Calling ESPN retards for showing highlights that they clearly said would be shown isn't the best argument I have ever heard.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Just for you, ESPN had visual disclaimers today.;)

20. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Espn Classic broadcast yesterday espn was kind enough to not ruin the result by only showing the other 3 final scored in the "bottom line".

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I wish ESPN would show the scores in the bottom line. That way I don't have to bother with watching the game. Makes my life easier, and let's face it, my time is more valuable than yours.

22. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah thank God for that because according to Placid Casual, you know I can't listen properly!:rolleyes:

23. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What arguement are you talking about?:confused: What am I supposed to plead my case of not hearing the announcers to you.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Placid is just holding on to the original argument that there were disclaimers and it's not ESPN's fault that you missed them. Bottom line, ESPN is getting better about things like this as has been evident the past couple days. There was a similar thread at the same time last year where we complained about ESPN showing the score of the match being shown on delay during that match. ESPN is consistent about this and screws over fans of all sports equally in this regard.:( I have seen NBA results during NBA games and the same for other sports. I've even seen them show the result of the BC@Miami "Flutie Bowl" during that replay on ESPN Classic. I can't remember what was shown in the ticker to be honest, but I really appreciated the announcers giving a lot of warning yesterday(although I wasn't afraid of spoilers). Today they did the same thing and added a graphic. I thought that was another nice touch.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Because not everyone else has Deportes.
    b. Because not everyone else plans their day around watching games. God forbid they report on news that has happened.
    iii. Because soccer fans are a self-entitled bunch of babies sometimes and they like to ruin their lives.