OT: Cyrillic Alphabet/Russian language question

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Sport Billy, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Please excuse my naivety concerning the Cyrillic Alphabet. - I haven't a clue.

I am looking for the Cyrillic (or Russian) equivallent for "Kansas City."
    I don't know if proper English nouns even have Cyrillic equivallent.

I am not looking for some computer letter by letter translation.

I am searching for whatever the city of "Kanas City" would be refered to in Russian.

I hope that's clear.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    What you're looking for is: Канзас-Сити

3. ZenitintheUK

ZenitintheUK Member

Mar 17, 2005
    What's the Russian equivalent of Kansas City? Krasnoyarsk?

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    lol, how so? you'd need to have the word 'city' in the name. More like Nijniy Novgorod, since at least there is a word 'gorod'.

5. ZenitintheUK

ZenitintheUK Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Both centrally located, with major rail links... Actually, this is an issue I'd like to hear people's views on. As a Brit, I know what loads of US cities are famous for (Detroit -cars, Chicago -meat-packing, New Orleans -jazz and cooking, etc.) But what are the Russian/former USSR equivalents of these and others? And what about landmarks, etc., like the Golden Gate, Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, etc., etc. The Grand Canyon. The Niagara Falls. Everyone in Britain has heard of these. What are the Russian versions?

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Off top of my head:

1. Moscow - Capital. Landmarks: Kremlin, Red Square and St. Basil Cathedral, Trtiakovka.
    2. St. Petersburg - city on the Neva or gateway to Europe. Landmarks are white nights, Petropavlovsk, bridges that open, and Hermitage.
    3. Odessa :) - capital of humor and satire. Landmarks are Potemkin steps, Opera, and "privoz". :D
    4. Tula - known for samovars. Don't know any landmarks
    5. Tambov - wolf :D
    6. Donetsk - known for mines
    7. Kiev - mandan, Rodina-mat', Lobanovskiy, Kiev rus', Kievo-Pecherskaya lavra. From what I've heard, one of the greenest cities in the world (as in amount of trees and bushes)

That's just off top of my head with a bit of humor.

7. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Kiev-the city where loden was born

8. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Montreal
    Some more:

Yaroslavl - churches (was very rich city in 17th century which meant a lot of churches were built) and tires (hence Shinnik which means tires in Russian, the team being sponsored by the local tire factory - Yaroslavl was the location of the first synthetic rubber factory and still the tire capital of Russia)

Ivanovo - woman - city of brides - textiles (textile factories led to a disproportionate amount of women in the cities hence its reputation as a place to meet a wife)

Krasny Holm - also known for its women - actually it is only known for this to me and my friends gaining such a reputation based on our adventures in this town :D

9. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what the original poster was saying was: What do the Russians call Kansas City? So if I am looking at a Russian map of western Missouri, what is the label of the biggest dot. I do not think he was looking for the phoenetic spelling of Kansas City, as given above.

10. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    All cities retain their original names. Kansas City would still be Kansas City on a Russian map, just written in Cyrillic characters.

11. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I think Kansas City is on the level of Berdichev in FSU hierarchy.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magadan - Kolyma gold mines....

Great tourist attraction.