OT - Anyone going to the World Cup?

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I really want to go, and I have the money for it, but I have no one to go with.

My friends are all extreme cheapasses, so I highly doubt I can convince them to splash a couple grand on a trip to the World Cup (I can barely get anyone to drive down to Chicago or Columbus with me for qualifiers).

I know I don't really post in this section much, or even go to Michigan Bucks games (I live in Lansing so it's not really 'local') but if anyone from Detroit (or Michigan in general) is thinking about going maybe we talk about it and possibly come up with something - at the very least maybe split a hotel room or something (I'm figuring it will probably be $150 a night, so if I could get someone to split it and only pay $75 that would save a ton).

Or if there is a group of you planning going, maybe I could jump in on that?

I dunno... just figured I'd post and see. Let me know!

I haven't ordered tickets yet, but I plan to during this phase.

2. Jboc15

Jboc15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Detroit
    Assuming we get match tickets, me and my dad are going to go. We're prolly going to go with two guys from Philly we know but you but I maybe we could get 5 in a room. pm me

3. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wish I could but 2010 is going to be a very busy year for me. If you ever want to go to a Bucks game, let me know, you are more then welcome to crash at my place. I'm only about 10 miles from the stadium.

Edit:

Ok thats twice now, the EDIT post button is in the same place the QUOTE button used to be. Sorry about editing your post, completely unintentional.

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Guys should have bought your plane tickets before the draw, they've gone up quite considerably since Friday.

Good luck.

5. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Actually looks like they have gone down since the last time I checked (beginning of November). Back then the cheapest flight from Detroit-Johannesburg in June was $2038, today it is listed at $1745.

6. DetroitLFC

DetroitLFC New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOD FAIL. muahaha

No seriously. I would do most anything to go to the WC. But like many of the people here, money is the sticking point. I will also be busy during that time with work so it doesn't look promising.

7. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish i could go..... but being a full time college student living off of a wal-mart salary it doesn't look too promising...... England looks like they're a bit over confident...... posting in the sun said Best English Group Since the Beatles :mad:

8. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Wow, I guess I shouldn't listen to people "in the know".

I was told they would and had sky rocketed following the draw. Think I'd prefer a European World Cup for my first one abroad though. Kind of hoping England 2018 happens, as long as USA 2022 follows...

9. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in 2006 I launched a well-thought out 4 year plan to save money for SA. It lasted two months.

I might actually try to get down to Brazil in 4 years. I've got a well-thought out 4 year plan...

10. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    I have a Brazilian roommate who will let me and friends stay at his house during the World Cup or Olympics. Half the battle right there.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I've thought about that too... South America's pretty awesome. Been to Chile and Argentina, missed out on Brazil.

Might be a good time for it, will work on my Portuguese in the mean time..

12. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely there in 4 years then! Right now, the only way I'll make it to SA is if I win the lottery. :(

13. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't be too hard, there's only a few phrases you need to learn:

1) Does this bus go to the World Cup game?

2) I'll have another beer, please.

3) Please don't shoot me, my money has been stolen already.