OT: Anybody heard from Sormun lately?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    how about Mark Watson--he had a pretty long international career and never won a ring with us

Ziade too might fit. he's had about the same level of success as convey in MLS and with his national side (actually he plays in qualifiers so maybe he is more so)

both of these guys could make a claim for best ringless united player--though neither ever won European Footballer of the year like my boy hristo.

not to mention cerritos--he certainly was a very good player, though maybe he got a ring with the clashquakes?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Indeed, 2001.

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    But he wasn't a particularly good player for us. By the time he was here, he was old and slow, and all he could do was play an offside trap badly.

Ziadie isn't half the player Convey is.

Maybe Hristo, but he really wasn't here long enough to be considered.

Yep. He was subbed for DeRosario, who scored the winner.

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    ok so the criteria is 'best player to have played well for dcu for a while but not won a ring'? ;)

you really think convey is twice the player ziade is or or is it that he has the potential to be twice the player? i'll certainly agree convey has much more skill and talent than ziade but their impact on both the league and international game is pretty even and in the end it is the mark you make on the game, not your skills and talent in the abstract that matters--in my less than humble opinion anyway.

5. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think Don Mattingly retired from pains in his back side...

Convey was just a pain in the backside :D

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I disagree with their impact on the league. Down the stretch of the 2002 season, when Convey took control of the team and played out of his skin. He didn't improve after that, but there were other factors, such as the frequent national team callups, the Spurs transfer debacle, and a coach who had no concept of offense. Ziadie, on the other hand, played well for a few games for us before his weaknesses were exposed, and wound up being a starting right back on the worst defense in the league. Internationally, Ziadie hasn't made his mark at all. He might have played in three qualifiers, but his team didn't make the Hex (a step back for them, after 2002 and 1998), and he didn't even play in the only game Jamaica won.

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    why i am pursuing this i don't know but anyway, convey's time at the controls as it were certainly didn't lead to the playoffs and glory.

anyway, i'm trying more to amuse myself than anything, obviously when the best weapon in my arsenal is craig's three appearances for a national team that is stepping backwards despite a wealth of talent--i ain't gonna be winning many debates.

8. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    that guy is really a baseball player? i thought he was runner up to chico in the 1989 Ron Jeremy mustache look-a-like contest

(running away from the ziade debate to the safer ground of busting chico's balls)