OT: Amazing Fares to London

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Airways has amazing fares to London at the moment. If you've been thinking of going over, now's the time to book.

For travel on Mondays through Thursdays in November to February, a r/t from:

Washington to London is $206!
    New York to London is $188!
    Boston to London is $207!
    Dallas to London is $302!
    Chicago to London is $246!
    Minneapolis to London is $434 (sorry Ross, but see below for other possibilities).

All are inclusive of all taxes!!

For travel on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, it seems to cost about $40 more.

I believe they're matching a British Airways fare sale that lasts only until September 25th, so you probably have to book this week. Other airlines may be matching it too, so check around.

In checking the Washington/LGW availability, November and December isn't great (there is some), but there seem to be plenty of options in January/February.

I've got three more trips already booked (Bristol City/Barnsley this month, Brentford/Kidderminster in October, and Sheffield Wednesday in November), but I may have to book at least one in the new year too (Notts County?), as a r/t to London for $200 is far too good to pass up!

2. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Virgin Atlantic is really cheap right now too, JFK to LHR that is. I booked my Minneapolis to London-Gatwick flight last week on studentuniverse.com and got a flight for $365, you do have to be a student though. I'm going over thanksgiving.

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops. It seems the prices, for US Airways at least, are before taxes. $206 turns into $299.90. That's still the cheapest I've paid, but you can probably get in the $300-$350 range for January/February later too, so no rush to grab this sale.

4. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah; typical Northwest Airlines! :D

I wish I had the time (I'm back in grad school again) and the money (I'm back in grad school again) to take a jaunt over there for a match!

Atouk, if you're going, PM me, and I'll give you the details on my London cabbie friend; lifelong QPR fan. I went to the match with him in '01. Great guy; he can pick you up at the airport (assuming Heathrow...might as well take the express from Gatwick).

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i actually bought a $314 flight to London from DC over thanksgiving. pretty good for the holiday ....... I'm hoping to catch a football match in london while i'm over there. do you have any info on which london teams will be at home that weekend?

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR is at home vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, November 29th, so obviously I'd recommend a trip to Loftus Road! As these are the two biggest teams in Division Two (both having been in the Premiership in the '90's), this will have a great atmosphere and be one helluva game of football.

Among other London clubs, Charlton Athletic (vs. Leeds), Crystal Palace (vs. Coventry City), Arsenal (vs. Fulham), and West Ham (vs. Wigan Athletic) are also at home the same day.

Ch***ea is at home to Man United on Sunday, the 30th.

You can find all English fixtures for a given day (along with a boatload of other information on every team) on www.soccerbase.com .

7. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    Im going to be in london for the brentford match.I went online to try to get a seat in the loftus lower block and it said only members and there guests can buy in that block?I like sitting there better vs the paddock.
    -howie

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's season ticket holders and members only in the Loft. You can always purchase a membership or get a member to purchase a ticket for you. I'm a member and QPRKevinH is a season ticket holder, so I'm sure something could be arranged if you really want to sit there.

Note, however, that the Brentford match may be postponed.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~429408,00.html

Brentford has two players called up to various U-21/U-23 national teams and expects another (as he's a regular for Ireland's youth). That was supposed to be known today, but neither team's website gave us an update today.

The game is slated to be on television (and moved up to 12:30 from 3:00 for that purpose), so Brentford may try to get some of their players to stay and/or choose to play anyway (if they can) because both clubs could sure use the money from the broadcast.

I don't know if it's a good sign or not, but the story on Brentford's website yesterday the menioned the possibility of postponment is now gone (but no new story confirms whether the game is on or off).

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Brentford match might be off that weekend (for *#*#*#*# reasons) - but if goes on and you want the seat next to me, give me a shout (kevin@qblock.com).

Even if its off - the England-Turkey match is that night, so it'll be a good footie weekend.

10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

Heh Peledre,

dont forget your camera phone.. we need some lady pics from across the pond :D for daily updates..

11. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    Im sort of surprised a club would ever thinking about PPD'ing a match considering the fact I think both clubs could use the money it will bring in!
    -howie

12. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be sure to get pics of my english lass that will be waiting with baited breath for my arrival at London-Gatwick on the 21st :D.