Oskar Gasecki (Chicago) to Barcelona?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My Polish is not the best (so feel free to correct me ;) ) but it seems like FC Barcelona has invited the player Oskar Gasecki (who plays for a team in Chicago) to a trial. The player was born in South Africa, but holds also a Polish passport, according to this source. Then it is alaso written that the US wants to invite him to their U17 team, but Oscar will fly to Poland in March and will be tested for the Polish U17 team.

2. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    That's basically it. So the guy has a US, SA, and Polish citizenships. Must make for a pretty confused kid. He's making a mistake choosing Poland, though, and I am Polish. Beenhakker won't last forever, and then he'll be mired in the pile of crap that Polish soccer is now on all the other levels.

3. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    About time someone finally chose Poland instead of Germany/USA/England/Argentina etc. I'm tired of losing all these players.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Other than Klose and Podolski (who have spent almost their entire lives in Germany), who have you lost to those countries?

5. tki-pl

tki-pl New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Oswiecim (Poland)
    the U.S.A. - Danny Szetela (vel Daniel Szetela)
    Argentina - Diego Fernando Klimowicz
    Israel - Ben Sahar
    etc.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Poland "lose" Szetela? Kid was born in New Jersey.

7. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Danny Szetela is american....his parents are polish, of course he could play Poland but that just wouldnt be right.

So this guy lives in America but would rather play for Poland because?? they suck, i seem to remember us beating them 1-0 not to long ago.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Sahar was born in Israel as well.
    Klimowicz was born in Argentina and hasn't been capped.

Trying to work out who Poland "lost" to England.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Klimowicz was born and raised in Argentina.

I remember that the Polish national team was trying to get him a Polish passport before the 2002 World Cup based on the grounds that his grandfather was born in a part of Poland that now is part of the Ukraine.

But I would hardly say that Poland "lost" him.

10. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hey, Poland did gain Emmanuel Olisadebe, so it's not all bad!

11. tki-pl

tki-pl New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Oswiecim (Poland)
    Your knowledge about Polish football is big!
    Ben Sahar was born in Israel, so - him father is from Israel, but mother is Pole.

It's all is normal in today World. We live in more and more boundless World.

Greetings from Poland! :)

12. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, Israel has as much the right to invite him as Poland. In fact, they probably have "more" right to invite him than Poland because he not only has an Israeli father but was born in Israel and has lived in Israel.

Why don't you just accept that your examples were not that good? ;) And complaining about Klose and co. may be understandable, but they prefered Germany which is ok since they lived almost their entire lifes there, learned football there, and in some cases have German ancestry.

edit: sorry, the guy who came up with this was someone else.

13. tki-pl

tki-pl New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Oswiecim (Poland)
    I don't account or decisions of individual players were rightful or no... Only I wrote examples of players. So, I think, that all of this decisions were very considered and there are really rightful.

14. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    You also forgot Bill Swerski

[​IMG]

15. tki-pl

tki-pl New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Oswiecim (Poland)
    People from American shows are for me recondite.

16. joshnper

joshnper New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Yeah but more importantly...What was the youth WC score against Poland? 6-1 or something. I would say if I was a YOUTH playing for a country I would look at how my age group was progressing. Good Luck with your 1-0 from ages ago.

17. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    First of all the poster admitted his polish is not great, so he could be wrong. Second I find it weird he would not play for SA or especially the US. It seems he never actually lived in Poland; and if he grew up in Chicago, he should realize all the Poles he knows are really Americans.

18. tki-pl

tki-pl New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Oswiecim (Poland)
    My Polish is the best, but my English isn't. ;)
    So, in this article write, that Michal Globisz - trainer U-17 team invited Oskar Gasecki to Poland. Next write, that Gasecki in march will be in Poland and that he spokes, that in 2010 will be WC in RSA and him dream is playing on this Cup, but in Polish team.

Yes, it's right! But on WC in 2002 Poland won with the U.S.A. ;)

19. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    His chances of making the U-17 roster might be greater in Poland. The U.S. is loaded in this age group.

20. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    "Oskar Gasecki (Jr. Warren): A role player for the state runner-up, he should become a star this fall."

This comes from a local preview of the team....I find it hard to believe that anybody who was every a role player for a HS soccer team could be Barca quality? Anybody know more.

21. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    The academies sign lots of players most of whom will never come close to the parent club. Barcelona has 12 teams ranging from the reserve team Barcelona B all the way to Benjamin B which is made up of 10 and 11 year olds.

22. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yah but he has to be 16 or 17....a bit old to work out nothing but a bit of potential....maybe he had a gigantic year, don't know; but it seems as if this is either a pure revelation or there is some exaggeration.

23. tom.p

tom.p New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Gasecki......we live in the same town and went to high school for a couple of years together as he is younger then me. Big things are expected out of him in the upcoming fall. He was huge in the road to the state-runner up and Illinois is a pretty good soccer HS state.

As for playing for Poland....Chances are good. I was an intern with the Polish Football Association this past year and am very close with Poland U-18 coach Michal Globisz. We will get it done and have him in Poland in March for a konsultacja szkoleniowa......U-18 camp that is!

BTW - Smithfan, I really want to know how good your Polish is. We should seriously organize something and go together for Poland-Germany. :cool:

24. kasia

kasia New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    No, they haven't. Barcelona is a reference to Stoichkov. Stoichkov, a former star of Barcelona, was impressed by Gasecki when he was a youth coach for Chicago Wind. Now there is interest in Gasecki from Chicago Fire.

According to the article, his family lived in South Africa for 8 years, then they moved to Poland for one year, and then they moved to the U.S. No mention of him having U.S. citizenship, only SA and Polish.

25. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    One year in Poland? Does he actually have Polish citizenship or a passport because of his parents....I assumed it be the latter, one year rarely gets you citizenship.