"Osama" chant?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by n00bie deluxe, Sep 23, 2003.

1. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I've seen on a website that there's an Osama Arsenal chant?

Osama, whoa-oa-oa
    Osama, whoa-oa-oa
    He supports the Arsenal
    He's hiding near Kabul

What's behind this?

2. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    Apparently, ObL is an Arsenal supporter, and someone thought it would be hilarious if they made a song about it.

3. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
  4. Montreux

Montreux New Member

May 26, 2003
    RI
    And Hitler was reportedly a vegetarian. What does that say about vegetarians? Absolutely nothing. Same thing here. A little eerie perhaps, if you were at the matches he reportedly attended, but meaningless.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
  6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That they're all short, Austrian house-painters! I knew it!

Salad is Murder!

7. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    That's about as classy as when Arsenal fans make "hissing" sounds to mimic Nazi gas chambers when Spurs come to Highbury (please don't insult our intelligence and claim you've never heard that before)

I appreciate the football Arsenal plays - but I just can't over that anti-semitic gesture - it's repulsive

8. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The Search button is a wonderful thing - use it wisely, my son.

9. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: "Osama" chant?

Yet again, the self-righteous feel the need to chime in.

I've never heard the hissing sounds, but I'll take your word for it. But what are the 99.9999% of the fans who *don't* do that supposed to do? Renounce our support for the team because of the actions of a few people? Even if it's closer to 5% or 10%, it's still not a true representation of the fanbase, so why let your view of the club be dictated by the very small minority?

I assume you're a Bolton fan. I have no idea how the crowd behaves at the Reebok, and I honestly can't be bothered to try to find out. Maybe they are the perfect club where the players, management, and supporters never make mistakes and never indulge in embarrassing and sometimes abhorrent behavior - but I doubt it.

10. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    Re: Re: Re: "Osama" chant?

Hmmmmm . . . Self-righteous - perhaps
    But please spare me your 99.999% logic - yes the number is probably closer 10-20% of the fan base when Spurs come to Highbury - and yes that is a reflection of your fan base - you're clearly intelligent - I don't need to remind you of the social history of your football club

Football has grown in popularity to have mass appeal across social classes in the UK in the past decade - but do not let that fool you - do not let the masses who make the trek up the Picadilly line to Gillespie Road errr... Arsenal from the Home Counties fool you - the "traditional" fan base makes itself heard and it is not pretty

Of course, if you came to the Reebok on match day you'd hear all sorts of random nastiness - racism, references to Munich if we're playing United, etc. - will you hear an entire stand make a coordinated sound that conjures up memories of genocide - no - that lovely honour belongs to your lot

Am I singling out Arsenal - yes - the reason is that this thread seems to make light of a chant invoking the name of another mass-muderer in a comical way - are Arsenal supporters anti-semites - probably not in any higher proportion than anybody else - but the Osama chant just strikes a nerve that many an inhabitant of Golders Green and the like associate with a visit to Highbury

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Re: Re: Re: Re: "Osama" chant?

There's jerks wherever you go in this world. The "hissing" is completely wrong and I'm sorry to hear that it goes on. Of course it pales in comparison to the chants from Feyenoord whenever Ajax come to town.

It seems like in 2003 people would be over this already, but they're not. Even my ex-wife's uncle was part of the problem. He is from Leicester and supports them, and when I told him that I supported Arsenal he commented on the fact that Arsenal had a lot of black players. Racism rears it's head everywhere, but it shouldn't be tolerated at any ground.

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: "Osama" chant?

I've never heard any hissing and I sit in the Clock End not far from the away fans. I'm not saying it doesn't go on, but the proportion of the crowd is much closer to the 0.001% than the 10-20%.

13. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Re: Re: "Osama" chant?

Sorry mate - you're mixing us up with the Chelsea supporters.

14. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal are heartless facists. That's why we're a flagship club in the "Kick Out Racism" campaign.

15. MickeyHeath

MickeyHeath New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    London
    I have never ever heard racism at Highbury and certainly not hissing and anti-semetic chanting when we play Spurs or any other team. There are as many Jewish Arsenal fans as there are Jewish Spurs fans if not more and I find your allegations quite ridiculous.

16. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh I've heard racism at Highbury, just not this specific hissing business. You only have to go back to the Inter game and there was a bloke behind me, not a regular, who was calling them Iti this and Iti that all game.

17. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby writes about a blind racist at Highbury. Good stuff. At least we're past the days of making monkey noises at ManUre's very own Paul Ines. Thank God..

18. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    I think the problem arises when you have mindless idiots picking up on the fact that Spurs like to see themselves as the number 1 jewish club in the country. Spurs fans call themselves Yids, the Yid Army and what not.

And in any case your accusations about 20% of Arsenal fans making those noises are total BS.
    In all my time of attending the North London derby, i've only ever heard a those noises once and the group of about 3-4 yobs were instantly removed from the crowd, because they were clearly drunk and making racist remarks to Sol Campbell as well at the time. How stupid do those people feel now?! Muppets.

19. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Really? Racism against the Italians? Isn't it usually the Italian clubs that are cited for racist acts? At any rate I seem to remember a thread on this a while back where there were nearly as many Jewish Arsenal fans as Jewish Spurs fans. I'm not too concerned about a few inconsiderate folks. Pure stupidity.

Now back to Osama.

20. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    The Yids. I remember last season there was a big piece in one of the matchday programmes about NOT calling them Yids, when in fact it was Spurs supporters themselves that were doing it!

BTW we're the biggest FRENCH club in London. ;)

21. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I'd be more pissed that Freddie Prinze Jr. is a Gooner fan. He was in Four Four Two last year with the Premiership trophy and the FA Cup.

23. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    yeh, this is why i'm studying french. so i can go to see arsenal games and speak the native language...

24. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Re: Re: Re: "Osama" chant?

Right, that's what I've always heard about the "hissing" chant. There was a small but large enough contingent at Stamford Bridge with National Front connections. Don't know how vocal they still are.

I've never been fortunate enough to see a derby vs. Tottenscum, so I can't deny this claim outright, but when someone says, "cmon Gooners, you know about this," well... (not) sorry, always thought that was the "fashionable" Chelsea supporters (though the ones I know personally would be disgusted by such an act as well).