Rumor: Orr Baruch Requests To Trial At Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by MHaifa1913, Nov 8, 2011.

1. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL

What should we be expecting of these home grown players? I'd be very surprised if Gulley becomes a regular contributor to the team in the next 5 years. Should I be expecting more?

2. Tweed Thornton

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago
    I think homegrown players should be looked at like MLB prospects. A few will impress right away, some will become decent players, and some will flake out before giving anything.

However even the benefit of these players not counting against the salary can really help out. If you've got a back-up that doesn't count against the budget, that's more money you can throw at another player. If you've got three, four, or even more, that's some real money starting to add up.

It's great to sign players like Gulley and Pineda because they are top US prospects but these kind of players end up being nothing all the time. It's low risk with potential for high reward and a good chance for low reward. Don't see that turned down to often.

3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, that's not bad.

I have only seen him a handful of time in youth camps, so when it comes to a time table of being a professional it's little to go off of.

He's got the tools, its up to him to make the step forward. Houston are bringing a couple of their HG's into the first team. NER have utilized their HG player and he even bagged a couple goals. Najar has clearly been successful. Philly's has seen a little PT. Obviously Agudelo has proven a success of a HG player.

There are several who havent done anything except U18's and reserve matches. With the HG's being young i wouldnt be shocked if they didnt start contributing to the first team for at least 3 years, but it depends on each player. Once they graduate from HG status they will take up cap space and at that point if they havent progressed far enough i would wonder whether or not they would make it to year 5.

4. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true... Hes mediocre.. this isnt something that gets me excited.

5. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riiiight.. Ou rbest target forward by far on this team is the tallest midget

6. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But keep in mind that $100k counts against the cap. It's not the easiest decision.

7. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a good kid to train grow and groom, I just hope we dont rely on him too much year.. :)

8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, i was unaware that would hit the cap. Well given the amount of money we didnt use last season i would think we have quite a bit to play with.

9. N1ckels5

N1ckels5 Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No it doesnt, we have had allocation money for a while now, I am pretty sure that was used for his buyout.

10. Tweed Thornton

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago
    I'm guessing the conversation centers around the fact that Orr Barouch was an off-budget roster player making the minimum of $32,000 in 2011. Now in 2012 he'll be an on-budget player and his $100,000 or so salary will count against the cap. A default player taking up an on-budget salary spot is around $45,000 so this is potentially a $50,000 to $55,000 increase over a regular roster spot.

It does limit who the team can go after in 2012 and it does show a high level of faith in Barouch.