News: Orozco happy to have Torres playing with him on the NT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dcpohl, Oct 16, 2008.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was always my understanding that "gabacho" meant "white man" like a "white man in Mexico" . I had never understood that it was in any way derogatory. Here is an explanation, I enjoyed from Chronicle forums:

First of all, I am a gabacho.

I have my theory, but I'd like some hard evidence.

In most of Latin America, we white natives of the U.S. are called "gringos." It's a centuries-old term which was a corruption of the word "griego," which meant "foreigner" in Spain. (Yes, it also means Greek).

But Mexico seems to be the only country where "gabacho" is used.

My theory: "gavache," as I have been told, was an Occitan word used in rural parts of France to describe a country person. So, since the French played a unique historical role in Mexico, somehow that term got brought over and used against them. That is, the Mexicans called the French foreigners "gavache," then later it became "gabacho," applied to other foreigners, especially those of the invasive type.

Are there any linguists or historians who can critique my theory?
    http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php?topic=41437.0

2. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure it came from Spain and has nothing to do with France invading (Just a coincidence). It's just the like the word thug, barbarian and assassin. They used to refer to a specific group but eventually just became a noun.

3. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Sure they are otherwise when a construction worker yells at a woman, he's just appreciating her beauty. Or when the call people "negros feos" they're just remarking on skin color, and are not trying to denigrates anyone's race. You just need to chill out and not take life so seriously. Same with appointments and showing up on time.:rolleyes:

Sorry, it's just pet peeve of mine. Personally, it is very rude. But the nature of Mexican society was one based on power and fear(still is),I mean...Mexico is not a PC culture at all, why? Because it's not an egalitarian one, it was a medieval peasant based society into the 1950s. Also a very sexist and homophobic one.

But yeah, sure....believe it when Mexican tells you "it's just how we do things". I was born in Mexico City and go there a lot. But I'm astounded by the patronizing, xenophobic, sexist, racist views that are shared alike the by upper/middle/lower classes. It's no wonder that the Republican is going after the Latino market.

sorry...went on a little rant there.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the republicans already own the cuba market