Origins of Serie A kits?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by McAvennie, Jan 15, 2006.

1. McAvennie

McAvennie Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Wycombe, UK
    Ive heard all the variations on the Juve/Notts Co story but why do Milan play in red and black stripes and Inter in blue and black?
    Why are Fiorentina in purple? Are Parma originally blue and yellow or white with a blue cross?
    What is the story with Sampdoria's colours? Why Roma in red and yellow and Lazio in Sky Blue?
    And who were the first side in Italy to have shirt sponsors?

2. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    i heared juve got their kit from a english businessman who brought over some newcastle utd jerseys,whether thats true or not ..im not sure

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here's what I can answer off the top of my head:

Milan- Red and Black to strike fear into opponents. It also refers to the "Devil" nickname

Parma- They started out with the Cross on the white shirt. The Yellow and Blue stripes were introduced in the 90's, but are now gone and they have gone back to the traditional Cross.

Shirt Sponsors- I believe Milan were the first Italian club to have shirt sponsors and last names on their jerseys.

4. slideslide

slideslide New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Boca
    you think maybe inter being milan's rival picked an opposite color for their kits on purpose Milan ( red and black) Inter (blue and black)

5. giallorossissimo

Apr 8, 2005
    South Florida
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma's colors are from those of the Roman legion.

Lazio's come from the Greek flag I think.

6. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    The italian league is no different from any other league involving the chosen colors of the team. they pick the color of the jersey based on the teams badge. Juve's is black and white so it's only right to use those colrs for thier badge etc and so on.

7. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No because the original colors of Juve was pink! so because of an shipping error they ended up with b-w shirts. They sticked with it.

As for most of the other shirt colours it has to do with the cities shield.. Reason why Juventus are playing this year with the blue/yellow combo because of the shield of the city of Torino.