Originality in the Stands

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 14, 2005.

1. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so freaking sick of these threads!! We see this evry f-ing year. If you dont like the chants or have something new come to the fort chant it!!

Also if you do not like the chants do not hide behind a screen name, go to the fort and do something.

2. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    Not picking sides on this whole thing (not even sure I have a side on this whole thing), but one comment re: your suggestion. The people that don't like the chants may not want to be part of the Fort and chanting at all, so the ever-offered suggestion of going to the Fort and changing it up doesn't really apply. Just a note. Please don't flame me for it. :eek:

3. Biker Jim

Biker Jim Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Newton, MA
    In view of our reliance on Parkhurst, we should consider singing "Michael Row the Boat Ashore." Other names easily inserted. :)

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Don't know if any of these are already used, but you could try:

1) (To the tune of Roll Out The Barrel)
    Rev-o-lution
    Shala-lalala-lala
    Rev-o-lution
    Shala-lalala-lala
    (repeat ad nauseum)

2) (To the tune of Sweet Marie She Waits For Me, or whatever the "Is This The Way To Amarillo" song is called)

Shalala-lala-lalala
    Shalala-lala-lalala
    Shalala-lala-lalala
    New England Revolution!

3) (To the tune of Yellow Submarine)

Revolution olé olé olé
    Olé olé olé
    olé olé olé

Revolution olé olé olé
    Olé olé olé
    olé olé olé

These are standard tunes used around the world. They are simple and catchy, so that everyone can immediately join in. If you get too clever and cutesy and complex, you might have something to chuckle about, but no one will join in.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try selling a vacuum cleaner without using the word. ;)

"Yyyooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, Hoover"

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One must always view content in it's context if one wants to establish meaning. ;)

7. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like this idea. it would have come in quite handy last night.

8. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to give some props to those in the fort last night...sorry i wasnt feelin all that well to join but i sat right next to you and I thought you guys did great. Also I was kinda exciting to see the whole crowd on their feet around the like 85th minute or so when we had a corner kick and the majority of them stayed up till the finish. Also at one point, the whole sideline was clapping along and cheering Rev-o-lu-tion.

9. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the dont want to go to the Fort and suggest a new chant, then I dont want to hear the complain

10. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When someone offers a suggestion, please do not take it as a personal attack or a "complaint." Constructive critisizm (which the original quote was not), suggestions, and brainstorming ideas on how to create in the stands more of a "buzz" (which the quote seemed to follow), or originality as the title to this thread suggests, should be accepted as just that -- ideas to help promote our mighty Revs and the game of soccer through the region. These are not personal attacks.

Many of the posts I've read over the months, even years, on how to improve fan support and put more fannys in seats are merely ideas and theories, and that's it. Most are NOT personal attacks (or complaints) saying we should do this or that and if we don't then fans will never show. They are all (most of them anyway) suggestions. And they should be treated as such!

If we want to build support for our team, which in turn will further build on "Originality in the Stands", we need to Include -- to be inclusionary -- we do not need to be exclusionary.

I am the first to say that the Fort ROCKS! And although I have seats elsewhere and only join in the endzone "celebration" once or twice a year (when the family can't make it to join me in the regular seats and I'm free to prance and play), you guys are passionate and getting louder and more original by game. The rest of the stadium feeds off of your enthusiasm (do NOT let anyone tell you differently) and slowly learning the song of the game.

Do not stop. Do not get discouraged. And although it may be slow to catch on, one thing that does catch on is your energy and love of the game. But please, please, please do not be exclusionary. Or take mild suggestions personally. Nobody knows the answer to creating more Originality in the Stands. We all know that.

11. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    actually, i am kinda pissed about this one

i took my daughter that just turned 2 to the game this weekend
    during the usa match, we were there in the fort
    and people were chanting, and drumming
    it was fun...

after donovan missed his penalty
    she learned a few new words,
    but nothing that was repeated nor easily forgotten

however, things changed drastically for the revs match
    the potty mouths came out, and maturity flew out the window
    the "you suck" chant after every goal kick came out
    something that was whack and outdated
    even back when i went to high school 10+ years ago
    it doesnt effect their keeper, it doesnt help our players
    its all pretty much absurdity

now thanks to immature revs fans my daughter has a few new sayings

someone on another thread came up with the wonderful suggestion
    of using the more mature hockey chant "seive, seive, seive..."
    thats right... i just called hockey fans more mature
    the seive chant atleast gets on a keepers nerves
    and doesnt hark back to the low brow baseball fan's "yankees suck" chant

there you have it, "seive, seive, seive..." its suggested, try it out!

as for other songs, i dont think people on the sideline are against them
    i think most people dont know them,
    theyre more adverse to the drumming and horns
    which make your head ring for days

everytime the latest craze comes up,
    theyre doing electric slide, achy-breaky line dance, macarena, etc.
    its just the way theyre gotten into it
    something simple, easy, and played over recognized media

has anyone tried to get the chants played over the loud speaker
    if anyone has any contacts with the stadium announcer,
    see if you could have a simple decent chant run by him
    and i bet you will see singing stadium wide

personally i think a lot of the punk tunes translate well into this genre
    "rally 'round ready for the battle call
    united we stand, divided we fall"
    just wouldnt work out too well against dcu

my problem is why do you always have to tell us
    what fans around the rest of the world do?
    why cant we have some originiality, and do without the chanting
    i dont want to be some epl copycat league
    if you want to be british go move there...
    and i cant stand the damn argie league streamers
    think about it, we are copying things done by the most riotous of fans
    why dont they take a lesson from our safe enjoyable spectators
    who can sit and watch a match intensely without spoling it for others???

12. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...hey look, it's 3-headed Twellman!

[​IMG]

13. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Ooh the horns...Yeah not a big fan of those either very annoying after 5 mins. Effective for making noise but very, very painful to sit through.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, agree completely.

We should all sit and golf clap occasionally because all the riot-causing soccer fans around the world make noise, drum, and sing during games. Oh ... and we should also all talk like we're at a golf course, we wouldn't want people to get upset. If we make too much noise, someone might be offended and then we'd spoil their fun. :rolleyes:

15. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Guess what

Both sides have a point

And both sides can be right at the same time

You seem like a smart fella - can't you see how the " you suck" thing would be viewed as vulgar by some fans ?

Like it or not, we NEED the family crowd right now

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notice, I haven't (at least I don't believe I have) come down on either side of the You Suck thing. If we can get rid of it, I'd be fine by that.

My last comment was based more on the "we shouldn't do this because someone else does it, we shouldn't do that becauses someone else does it" etc. Hey Argentina plays soccer, should we not play soccer? :p

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And BTW ...

"If it's not the Dallas Burn, it's gonorrhea" chant was pretty original to the Fort if I do say so myself. :)

And there was no dirty words in there. :cool:

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Speaking of originiality...

[​IMG]

The Magpie

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, the Gals fans actually brought their girlfriends out for this one eh? :D

20. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Why are the Landon Donovan dolls wearing Chivas jerseys ????

;)

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Both sides do have a point, and I think it's fair to say that both sides should be somewhat respectful of the other.

I think there's a good number of people in The Fort who understand that the "you suck" chant may be viewed as vulger, or is otherwise not appreciated by some fans. I think it should also be said that an overwhelming number of the regular Fort chants are positive and meant to encourage the home team.

FWIW, we're not the only group of MLS supporters caught up in such a debate, as you can see by the discussion in the Fire forum here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215197

All things being equal, I'm quite grateful that the Revolution have made available one section (out of roughly 22 that are regularly available) in Gillette Stadium where fans (like myself) can be collectively proactive, expressive, passionate, and demonstrative in their support, and hopefully in such a fashion as to help generate a bit of atmosphere.

I know the players appreciate the effort, I know the Kraft's appreciate the effort, I know the front office appreciates the effort, and I can tell you the media appreciate the effort.

That being said, not everyone will, and that'll always be the case.

The Magpie

22. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    No one is saying not to chant, sing, or bang drums. Horns, please god no horns. What they ARE saying is that CERTAIN things don't fit in the environment. Like I've said whether we like it or not , we NEED the family crowd to keep the team alive.

Magpie, in all sincerity and not at all trying to start a flame war with this , I think the disconnect between the fan groups comes often as a result of what I quoted - whether you mean to or not you are coming across like " well we are the REAL fans and the rest of you are boring minivan-ers "

Just because I prefer not to sing, and sit and watch, doesn't mean I care less, appreciate the game less, or feel less excited when we win. Or just as devasted when we lose, which thank god isn't a feeling that I get much these days.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think you have to understand the context. In a mostly silent stadium every time the opposing goalkeeper takes a goal kick, a large group chants in unison. Then it returns to near silence again. I can't speak for those around me in the sideline sections, but when I bring my family or friends the reaction is "what up's with that?". It seems rather crude and very unimaginative to me -although I enjoyed it more the time you guys were several seconds late and the ball was already upfield!
    Then why are you even reading it?
    Like that's a realistic option! But, to answer your question, I actually come to the stadium to WATCH the game and I can see it a lot better from 108.
    That's what I talking about - a little imagination beats obscenity by a long shot. It's like the comedian who can't be funny without swearing isn't really funny, IMO.
    Geez Monty, don't get so defensive. I haven't heard anyone advocate a quieter stadium, or even complain about any other chant.

Is there "anything" that wouldn't be okay to chant every time there's a goalkick? Well, everyone has their own line that they draw about what's obscene. And some of us feel that "you suck" *in this context* crosses that line. So, don't get all twisted because some of us are expressing our opinion.

I don't know if ever bring kids (or older adults) to the games, but, maybe if you did, you might feel somewhat differently.

It's your chant and your section - why don't you just take it as a challenge to come up with something more creative, funnier and more likely to actually distract a keeper?

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before you get all whatever, read my response to george. I couldn't give $0.02 for the You Suck chant, and that's not what I was responding to.

25. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you think your kids have never heard the work SUCK you are crazy! So you don't want us to say SUCK because it will make you feel uncomfortable with your kids standing beside you...

You think that they'll think you condone such language unless you actually talk to your kids....Which of course you don't want to do......Geez, you can't walk through a shopping mall without hearing MUCH worse than YOU SUCK...

SO instead of being a responsible parent and teaching the kid that we are not inferring that these players perform these unholy but very pleasurable acts....(Unless we are talking about Dema Kovalenko of course :D )....We are just saying that we don't like them very much at all...When they're not playing for the National Team.... ;)

It's the kids that have their ears blocked and are coddled all their life that are performing these and other acts at such a young age!

There's a lot wrong in the world and in this country...I would suggest that "offensive" language at Foxboro Stadium is the least of our worries!! The "YOU SUCK" chant is not going away....right or wrong, moral or immoral it will forever haunt the soccer pitch....Let's just deal with it and let parents of kids PARENT them!!

JMO, let the flaming begin!

Mike