Originality in the Stands

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    I can't believe you actually red carded me on this post Mousey Tongue...I guess my constructive criticism went too far for ya. :rolleyes:

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a Chelsea song called "Blue Day" that can easily be applied to the Revolution. It's a catchy song, and easy to remember. A few new songs wouldnt hurt. It's better then hearing Oggie Oggie Oggie 15X a game.

3. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start it up! Just remember if it's good to be persistent and do it for as many games as it takes to catch on. I think we've all learned that new chants longer than four syllables can take a season or more to get the whole section singing it. It's taken 10 years but for Revs games I think we have a fairly decent number of chants. As for US chants, I definitely think a few new ones there would help.

4. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's not a red card, it's negative rep. And you're lucky that Liverpool fans haven't read your first post, you'd get neg repped out the wazoo.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

Start Rant:
    It may be fun for those in the Fort but it's seen by many in the rest of the stadium as very "uncool". When players are introduced a loud--"who cares" would be adequate. Repeated shouts of "you suck" isn't necessary and frankly does not suggest to many family groups attending a match for the first time that they want to come back. I'm no prude and can bad-mouth with the best but I recognize there is a time and place where restraint should be shown. Like it or not, soccer at the Razor is geared to be family enteratinment, not as a sports bar, and as such we die-hard fans need to show a little restraint in our chants.
    End Rant:

6. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

yeah and I see Liverpool was removed from his list of teams, as it should....by the time I got to this post, I missed that HUGE mistake, and I would have neg. repped you also if I saw it.

7. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

I will not edit what I say there because they decided that a pro sports league should appeal to pre teens and teens. I will not deal with it or restrain myself, I am a fan, and I will cheer and say you suck all game if I feel like it. Although I wont, cause unlike the Costa Ricans, we have more than one song. I want to see the atmosphere of England, with singing and chanting in MLS eventually, not some novelty that soccer moms and dads go to when the Red Sox arent playing, and their soccer team is not playing.

8. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    We'll never have the atmosphere of England because of the size of the United States. The teams are far spread out. It's almost impossible to create a real atmosphere for home and away crowds like England.

9. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    however they sounded amazing when they came to Soldier Field....thats the following I want to see for away games for the US at least

10. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Whatever, it was a mistake that I corrected. You guys are a little juvenile about all this anyhow. I got the title wrong; at least the one I put down shows I actually know the song. You probably became 'pool fans after they won the CL.

11. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Or you could just watch TV and then you'd have Lalas's lisp to wail about

;)

I used to bitch about the chants too, but I realized it's just people being fans in a different way than me. Albeit a nerdy super annoying way ! ;)

Sorry I won't make it down there this season.

GO REVS !

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Jerry Lewis thanks you! :p

Mike

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ed, I think you might want to rethink your position. Let me be a little more clear about why I think that you just might want to "restrain yourself" just a little.

I do not believe that the League or the Revs expect anyone to act like they are at a church social or at a 7th grade graduation. We all know that the product we see at the Razor is major sports entertainment and there needs to be a wide fan base and wide appeal to various tastes and temperments. Other than a rare few I don't think you would find anyone attending a game that would not rather be sitting in a stadium rocked by cheers, chants and song. Heck, that's a lot of the juice that one experiences from attending any live entertainment---fan reaction. I pray for the day when a Rev match sounds like a Patriot game and I doubt I could find any season ticket holder who thinks otherwise.

What I'm suggesting it's possible to create that atmosphere in a way that does not insult peoples moral, social or ethnic values. I doubt that you would ever do anything in your day to day life that you thought might be insulting to any other human being. In our part of the world we have evolved to a place where most of us are sensitive to the rights of others and for the most part do what we can to be responsible and respectful of their positions even if they are a little different from our own.

14. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

yeah like you have been a fan forever

I began following the team in 98 after watching the world cup and after the US played like crap, I followed England......I said "that Michael Owen is great"

then I followed Liverpool.....don't question others support when you do not even know the teams most popular song

15. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

I am not there swearing non stop, but no I will not stop saying you suck to the away goalie, I am not socially, morally or ethically insulting someone by telling them they suck, its the away team, I will not avoid booing them and whatnot

I bet its ok that Red Sox fans say "yankees suck" and the reverse.....hey baseball has been around for a while, so its ok.

we cant boo people in MLS? please

16. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually a rather interesting discussion. Fans making monkey sounds at black players is clearly "over the line" (sadly still happening on occasion in some European matches). But where is the line anyway? "You suck" seems to have crept its way onto this side of the line. For me, the line is crossed with "they're a bunch of ********" but obviously not for everyone.

There is also the peer pressure effect. All alone in Ludlow on Wed. I was hesitant to berate Zach Thorton regarding his size, but in a group I would have (and will on Aug. 3rd!) willingly and gladly added my voice.

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake. I thought you were more mature and socially evolved and would understand my point. Please disregard what I said.

18. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edlova - It's also their motto and not just the "most popular song" it's basically their anthem. I've followed Liverpool since '97.

As for the discussion on "you suck" it can be offensive to people on moral grounds. It's basically describing a sexual act. I don't really care personally, but yes you can successfully make an argument against using it on moral grounds.

19. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    :eek: Are you serious?

[offtopic] YOU'RE accusing people of being gloryhunters when you didn't even know "You'll Never Walk Alone"? You can't be a Liverpool fan and NOT know this. That's like being American and not knowing that our national anthem is called "The Star Spangled Banner." It's integral knowledge. Moreover, it's probably the most popular song in all of sportdom. [/offtopic]

20. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I've never been to the Razor, but I'd imagine I wouldn't mind if I heard "you suck." I liken it to a college basketball game, with rowdy and sometimes crude student sections, and then the less-enthused older crowd who sit down most of the game. At least, that's how it is at Wake...our student section sometimes (though rarely) goes over the top, but we add excitement. Maybe the wine-and-cheese crowd sometimes get offended. Oh well. I'd imagine Revs games are similar.

21. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I've been a Liverpool fan for several years now. Back when Ian Rush and Steve McManaman were patrolling the field (a bit too young to truly remember Nicol playing, though). But how on Earth could you get the title wrong???? It's on the frickin' logo!!!
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

22. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

yeah I am quite immature and unevolved because I am a passionate fan

dont complain about us insulting the away team when you are on here insulting fellow Revs fans

23. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's kinda the same at Fordham. It's a Jesuit school, so the 6th Man Club (student supporters section) is kept on a relatively short leash. Hell, the school banned all shirts with the school initials b/c they didn't like seeing students with "FU" across their chest. Of course, as the basketball team starting winning (for once), the 6th Man starting getting a bit rowdier, so we were given a bit more leeway, and now we're even getting the "wine-and-cheese" alumni to start chanting "FU" over and over (to the melody of "Olé! Olé, Olé, Olé!", no less) :D Of course, it was helpful for us because we could use FU as a put-down to the opposition and a statement of school pride. It's kinda hard to find such a statement for the Revs.

However, I think that if we find the right chant, we can get most of the "non-participatory" crowd to say something relatively mean-spirited along with us. I don't think "You suck" is that chant. The more you say it, the less significant it seems to be (someone should've sent that memo to Red Sox fans a long time ago) ;) If we want to get everyone to help us verbally assault the other team - which is just as much fun as supporting the Revs - the chant should be: 1) catchy, 2) clever, and 3) minimally profane at the worst.

Personally, however, I think it's far more important for us as Revs fans to show our support for the Boys in (Navy) Blue. We already know the opposition sucks. We have a winning product for the first time in years, and it's up to us to keep the team in high spirits... let them know that when they play at the Razor, they have that 12th man pushing them forward to victory. Sure, taking potshots at "Meat Hooks", "Landycakes", and "Snax" is always fun, but it's far more important to make sure Pepe, Bully, TnT, and the rest of our boys know that we're fully behind them. So if we should come up with original songs and chants, let's try to make them pro-Revs first... then we can focus on the anti-opposition ones.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo Zulu
    Well Said !

25. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Speaking of songs for players, do you guys (in the fort) use AC/DC for Twellman? It seems obvious...