Oranje-Wales

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by richsavare, Jun 1, 2008.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lineup info anyone?
    My thoughts would be the statring XI should be the same for the Italy match any thoughts?

2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nederland: Van der Sar; Ooijer, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst; De Zeeuw, Engelaar; Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben; Van Nistelrooij.

Wales: Hennessey; Gunter, Morgan, Nyatanga, Williams; Ricketts, Edwards, Koumas, Ledley; Robinson, Eastwood.

1-0 Sneijder, nice free kick

3. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I assume Giggs is retired, no???

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    giggs retired from international play last year. Melchiot, DeCler and deJong are on for second half. Sneijder got number two on a great free kick.

5. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Number 2???? Sh*t, I missed number 1 then :confused:
    My stream keeps dying on me

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben got #1 in the first half. Holland have 70% of the possession time!!!

7. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wales is ranked 51st in FIFA, so they're not exactly Andorra.
    Very good showing by Holland so far

8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Afellay on for VDV at around 65 minutes, Holland are in total control.

9. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not bring on Huntelaar already?

10. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Vennegoor in
    Mathijsen out

11. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I see you havent been acquainted with Marco's coaching techniques yet :D :rolleyes:

Arrghh......my stream died again :eek:

12. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melchiot's not really the finished article, is he? Seems a bit sloppy out there. De Jong looks pretty solid in the DM role, good backup to have.

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bellamy cant beat vd Sar......you suck Bellamy :p

14. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    2-0 final score, nice display from Holland

15. Awareness

Awareness New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Leiden
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it's safe to say that we have the best left winger in the world. Having said that, it's still a bit worrying that we're not taking our chances. The plus is that we had 30 shots at goal and they were playing ultra defensive so I expect less bodies to block shots against Italy and France.

16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nice job Amstel with the play by play.

Ratings anyone?

17. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i think we did well today, Engelaar had a nice game (what he played of it) and also de jong when he came on looked good.. strong.. solid... robben looked amazingly sharp and quick, sneijder and vd vaart linked up superbly and did the business imho, only problem was, was that we could get a decent cross in, this became obvious when ruud avtually shot from outside the box!!

go display though.. but still need to be tighter for italy/france/romania

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I misread the start time so only watched the second half. I won't offer any ratings other than to note that van der Sar wasn't tested at all. Oranje had close to 70% of the posession time for the match. The midfield was rocksolid giving up very few balls at all. Most interesting was midway through the second half Kuyt and Robben started changing wing sides. It looked to me that this was intentional and will make for interesting times for the defending teams when the Euro starts. It may be that Van Basten is going to move the 3 who sit in back of RVN around which could be quite lethal.

They also experimented with a two striker attack at the end when VOH came on for the last 10 minutes. almost resulted in a goal at the 89 minute mark when VOH had a shot dead on but saved.

I'm willing to bet that the starting 11 against Italy will be the same as started today with perhaps Bouma in for Mathijson. Van Persie, if he is fit, is likely to sub on at some point in the match.

19. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LOL....thats what happened to me also, I thought the start of the 2nd half
    was the start of the game.
    I didnt even notice the 1-0 score :)

Nice finish by Robben for the 1-0 btw

20. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    got a bad headache, so i'll keep my humble ratings relatively shorter than usual:

van nistelrooij (7) - average game, didnt really receive the passes that allow him to make use of his good finish
    robben (9) - was the only real great player for oranje tonight. fantastic rushes and is not making the selfish runs we normally see. hes turning into a real team player. best left inger in the world. showed it today (again)
    van der vaart (7) - another very-average game by his standards. for a guy that may be fighting for a poistion, he hasnt really impressed. really has to start hitting the net
    sneijder (8) - seems to always have a good game, great with the ball and created a few chances
    engelaar (7.5) - just another average game. but definately had a presence and was solid defensively. made a few nice through passes
    de zeeuw (7) - relatively strong defensively which is asked from him, but still lacked something special going forward
    all of Gio, Mathijsen, Heitinga and Ooijer (7) - solid at the back, (however not really tested) but didnt really contribute well to the attack, with the exception of maybe Gio.
    mathijsen got beat once, only to be saved by sar

too tired to do subs, but De Jong has looked really strong and stable in his appearances (including this one), Melchiot really should be starting at RB. Ooiger offers absolutely nothing going forward and really should be starting at CB. Melchiot was obviously rusty coming off an injury, but you can see that he has an attacking eye. and he is tall to compensate for our smaller CBs.

kuijt was strong again and afellay was gewoon

I love De Cler, so this is such a difficult decision because this is really the one defensive position where we are actually strong with all of Gio, cler and Bouma competing. Gio provides a lot of maturity, but is a little hesitant going forward. De cler just creates many more problems deep in the corners. he is strong defensively and with him and melchiot we have two very attacking minded defenders that can cause problems in the corners when all 11 players from the other team are behind the ball.

not sure if all of this makes sense... just sick and really want to go to bed. hopes its legible

21. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    all-in-all ..... decent game ... we were not very sharp with our passing gaming and lacked a little creativity (short of robben) in the final third.

we have to really make the most of our chances. we should have won by 3 or 4 goals in all of the last 2 games

22. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This I dont understand.
    v Basten said to prefer Mathijsen over Bouma, he thinks Joris is an
    excellent defender :eek: :confused:

http://www.telesport.nl/voetbal/ek_2008/4134824/_Van_Basten_kiest_voor_Mathijsen__.html?p=3,1

23. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    I've felt for a long time that Robben is underrated because of his injuries but when healthy is pretty much as good as it gets in the world of football. This was evident when he played for Chelsea; when he was in the lineup, they were a much more dynamic, much more dangerous squad. If he can stay healthy, he can be a world beater.

Robben and Kuyt switching sides isn't a surprise. Though Dirk isn't the same wing threat, when Robben and van Persie are on the pitch it's common for them to change sides often during the match. I think it's just part of Marco's gameplan (surprisingly he sometimes acts like he has one :D ).

24. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree with your views on Robben 1000%. Chelsea really miss his dangerous runs, and the creativity he causes.

25. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands