Pre-match: Oranje vs. Japan and Colombia friendlies [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2 Friendlies coming up vs Japan (Nov. 16) and Colombia (Nov. 19).

Team selection (NOTE: Siem de Jong replaces injured Kuijt)

Eredivisie

• Daley Blind (Ajax)
    • Jasper Cillessen (Ajax)
    • Joël Veltman (Ajax)
    • Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord)
    • Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord)
    • Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord)
    • Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord)
    • Memphis Depay (PSV)
    • Luciano Narsingh (PSV)
    • Stijn Schaars (PSV)
    • Jetro Willems (PSV)
    Buitenland

• Jonathan de Guzman (Swansea City)
    • Nigel de Jong (AC Milan)
    • Tim Krul (Newcastle United)
    • Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahçe)
    • Jeremain Lens (Dinamo Kiev)
    • Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
    • Arjen Robben (Bayern München)
    • Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham)
    • Kevin Strootman (AS Roma)
    • Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV)
    • Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa)
    • Gregory van der Wiel (Paris Saint-Germain)

2. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Krul was great this weekend ... made a few world class saves ... maybe LVG rewards him with the No. 1 jersey?

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Its a 3-way battle between Krul, Cillessen and Stek. I think Vorm has rightfully dropped out of contention for now. Its a tough choice though, Krul might be in form right now but Stek has all the experience.

I hope all 3 keepers see equal playing time next 2 friendlies

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Besides PSV I don't pay a lot of attention to other Dutch clubs ... for the rest of the Eredivisie I just watch VI (for laughs) and 'Studio Voetbal' (the internets is my main source for news anyway) ... hard to compare Cillessen to GKs I've come to know better (because I pay more attention to the EPL). So far Krul and Steek had a decent start to the season (considering what their defenses face in every match). I feel that Krul has deserved to be tried out in at least 1 match.

Edit: assuming they have a consistent season ... IMO Krul and Steek will be the main competitors for the No. 1 spot.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Afellay definitively withdraws from world cup squad. Cites injury

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vorm is out of the squad as he played with injections recently. He is not left out for quality reasons, but fitness. The Swansea game in the weekend was also played with another keeper than Vorm.

That guy conceded 3 goals, 1 of the 3 looked at least stoppable to me. No wonder they want him to play, with or without injections.

7. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    van Persie is out.. Davy Propper is the replacement.

EDit:
    Jordy Clasie is also out. Leroy Fer is the replacement.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    With all the injuries, FIFA really need to reassess the need for friendlies right after WC qualifications are concluded (other than the playoffs that are needed for UEFA and a couple of other regions). The squads always end up being make shift and I doubt van Gaal will really learn anything.

9. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hey guys. I will be in Amsterdam next week to see my national team and I wanted to ask you if you know in which hotel the Colombian NT is supposed to be. Also, there's a place in the Amsterdam Arena where the fans can wait for the players to come out for photos & signature?? Thanks.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    With all these injuries it almost becomes pointless to play these 2 friendlies

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Does anybody know if Japan and Colombia will be in full strength (esp. in their attacking third)?

It may not be all too pointless if Oranje defense can be tested around decent opponents. We know Van Persie and co. can score goals -- the defense is what's really worrying, especially as it's operating like a revolving door nowadays.

12. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We will come with our full squad minus our starting GK David Ospina & our starting RB, Juan Camilo Zuñiga. Other then them, we will play with Falcao, James, Jackson etc. Should be a great match.

13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Line up vs Japan

14. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How the hell is Krul not starting this? Seriously?

Blondo repped this.
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Because Krul will start against Columbia and van Gaal is not going to use the same keeper in both matches. Pretty simple to me.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even if Vorm had been healthy I still dont think he warrants a callup to Oranje. vGaal can only bring 3 keepers and right now I have more confidence in Krul, Stek and maybe even Cillessen ahead of Vorm

17. Oranje Leeuwen

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In my opinion, Cillessen is ahead of Stek and Krul is number one obviously

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm not convinced Krul should be the first choice keeper. He is the best shot stopper of the potential candidates, but he is also the worst in possession.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Colombia was impressive vs Belgium. Showed silk and steal at the same time. Technique and physical presence. Good at turnovers looking for the through pass, but also able to hold possession. Finally, they finished their chances (not even all of them) and their kit is looking awesome.

Netherlands has been good at dismantling mediocre sides, but this is a team that will turn the heat on us and than we get to see how bad defense really is. Very happy we get them before going into the WC.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    We also had quite a few chances and I'm pretty sure the likes of Robben will put away at least some of those (unlike our front line). So you might concede a few, but you will also score against them.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Vlaar should be starting ahead of deVrij

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think we should attack Colombia by peppering Arias. I know him from PSV and he is a major defensive liability. He's better going forward and actually has a nice cross as well. Mertens had a good game and was marked by Arias. In general, Colombia's forte is more towards the front than the back. If we can control the match, we can play to their weakness. If we can't and there will be episodes in the game where we won't ..... we get see how shaky our defense is. I am especially curious to see how we deal with their turnovers and general surprises. It will learn us how fast we can reorganize, how disciplined and alert we are. Vertonghen said that Colombia was able to surprise them all the time and that is exactly what I want to see the Dutch defenders deal with properly.

23. TeSo

TeSo Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ahhh, our achiles heel... the RB. If we had Zuñiga (who is our starter) would be even worse, since our RB and LB suck at defending.

good luck in the game!

DRB300 repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True.
    Belgium missed a lot of chances. But that was the first time that back line and Keeper ever played together.

Not to mention Colombia could have scored a lot more goals too, so the luck of the bounce goes both ways.

Let's see how things play out in Amsterdam.