Opposing Goal Kick Chant

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by Z010 Union, Jul 19, 2010.

1. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it! I'm IN!!!

2. DickyDunn

DickyDunn Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

<<<<<-----------Stubborn guy, right here.

Until I'm given something better to yell, I'm going to scream this far louder than any other chant. This is your notice. Find something by the Revs game on the 31st, or the asshole chant stays.

This is a battle you people will not win I assure you.

3. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that I have a creative and witty replacement. That doesn't make YSA any less lame -- and it's certainly not creative and witty, so if those are the criteria we're already coming up short.

Having said that, I'm not sure a goal kick lends itself to a lot of wit. It does seem to fit well with a short, affirmative statement. So even something as simple as people making a lot of noise up until the kick and then yelling "Union!" would be better in my opinion. Everyone could participate, there's no cursing, and instead of calling the goalie an a--hole at a relatively routine point in the match (again and again and again), it would be a way to encourage our guys to win the header -- something we want them to do every time anyway. So there would an element of support that I think is appropriate, and I think "UNION!" would be a better reflection on the SOB (and non-SOB) fans than "A__HOLE!"

There may be better ideas out there, that's just my initial thought.

4. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought there wasn't going to be any borrowing of other team's chants.....end of. every team in MLS does this already and its the least clever thing in history. so if we're not borrowing, then how about we not borrow

5. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, let me get this right.

No Doop (borrowed)
    No Vindaloo (borrowed)
    No 'We Love You' (borrowed)
    No 'Blue and Gold' (borrowed)
    No 'Come on the U' (borrowed)
    No 'Dale-O' (borrowed)
    No 'Phil-a-delphia' (not original)

Yeah... I see nothing wrong with your plan:rolleyes:

6. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if YSA was even half as good as any of those, i'd see you're coming from but it's not. the point is that we don't have to use this chant just because everyone else in MLS does it. tbh, we're passing up an opportunity to be recognized as being one of the teams that doesn't do that chant and came up with their own chant that would be way better than YSA. But we don't have the time or mental capacity to be recongized for something like that

7. bhastie8269

bhastie8269 Member

May 12, 2009
    King of Prussia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could only come up with:

GOOOOOOOOO Jump in the River

8. Scottcn6423

Scottcn6423 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the A-hole chant that most MLS supporters yell was derived (aka stolen) from the Mexiacan tradition of yelling "Culo" for goal kicks in a very similar manner as the "A-hole chant". I don't want anything to do with copying a Mexican national team supporters tradition. I know we can do better.

9. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this writer uses appropriate adjectives for YSA.

"The "You suck, a**hole" cheer directed by the fan clubs at the south end of the stadium toward opposing goalkeepers as they take a goal kick, for example, is incredibly juvenile and uninteresting. That word is funny to eight-year-olds (and sadly, Philadelphia Union supporters were doing the exact same thing on Wednesday against Manchester United.)"

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/thierry-henry-makes-himself-at-home-in-new-york-debut/

10. doriangray

doriangray New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind YSA actually. I couldn't care less if it's stolen and/or profane. Everything is stolen and the more vulgar the better, in my opinion. However, I think suggesting the use of the river/bridge is pretty good. I'd personally prefer edgier though. Like.

Drown yourself in the river
    Jump off the bridge

Just need the syllables and cadence to work better.
    Till then... YSA!

11. angryhugo

angryhugo Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Philly Phorever
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I originally voted that I liked it, but now I can't stand it. It's hacky and unfunny. It's like something you would hear at a Wings game. We can easily come up with ANYTHING bettter than YSA.

12. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jump off the bridge, shitbag!

13. doriangray

doriangray New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Does the cadence work.. How about...

Juuuuuuuuuuump off the bridge, shitbag!

How can you get more unique that using the bridge behing the River End?

14. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know how to write note duration on a message board.

You - whole beat
    Suck - whole beat
    Ass - half beat
    Hole - half beat

Jump - quarter
    Off - half
    quarter rest
    The - quarter
    Bridge - half
    quarter rest
    Shit - half
    Bag - half

15. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear the "You Suck A$$hole" as straight whole notes in 4/4.

16. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you mean quarter notes or that would be one long chant.

17. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are we not supposed to type ass? I don't know all the message board rules.

Anyway, I thought it was 3/4.

18. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the rules either, but I figure better safe than sorry. Wouldn't want to offend... :rolleyes:

Hmmm... I've been doing it 4/4, but it's entirely possible I've been doing it wrong. :D

19. doriangray

doriangray New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You boys in the River End with musical backgrounds just sort it out...

I will follow... as loud as I can.

20. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

:eek:

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I always liked "You fat bastard."

(even though Meola's retired)

22. Twiggster

Twiggster New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    København, Denmark
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    The original is "OOOOOOOH - YOU SHIT BASTARD...hahahahahahahaha"

And if the oppositon keeper concedes 2 or more goals, "2-0...it's your keeper's fault".

23. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach Thornton's not. In the '90s whenever Chicago came to town the Casbah would greet his goal kicks with FaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAT ASS!

24. AshamedSOB

AshamedSOB New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm a founding Union member, SoB member, Union fan and all-around football fanatic.

I've been to games around the United States, at Wembley stadium in England, and twice at Stadio Olimpico in Rome.

I've sat in the Curva Nord as Julio Baptista was showered with monkey sounds from the Lazio faithful.

I've experienced a few hundred Roma fans running full-sprint at me as they fled the Carabinieri.

I'm not a casual fan who picked up an L.A. Galaxy shirt because I know a few Spice Girls songs.

I personally can not stand the childish, hackneyed, embarrassing "You Suck Asshole" shout.

When the SoB pipe in loudly during the The Star Spangled Banner, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I anticipate the start of the game, and the electricity in the crowd. At that moment, I'm glad to have the SoB membership card in my wallet.

When I hear the drum beating and the Union-specific chants going, I put my hands together and raise my voice to try to get those around me into it (usually with positive results!).

When we hit the back of the net, and the whimsical 'Doop' starts up, I'm on my feet, trading high-fives and hugs all around.

But every time the ball goes out for a goal kick, I'm sigh just a bit. And as the keeper takes his charge up to the ball, I slump down in my seat, ashamed to think that I associate myself with the same people belting out 'You Suck Asshole' at the top of their lungs.

And, after the 8th, 9th and 10th times hearing it that match, the same few drunken imbeciles around me are chuckling at it.

It's a disgrace!

I feel embarrassed to bring my parents to a game now that "we" have started shouting that a dozen+ times per game. That isn't football, it's just immature playground behavior.

The first few times I heard it, I was sure it wouldn't continue, that the front office would meet with the SoB organizers and nip it in the bud. However, nothing seems to have been done to discourage it. What about the stadium policies regarding profanity/offensive speech? I guess that doesn't apply down at the River End?

When I look around and see the parents with their kids, I wonder how many of them will be renewing their tickets next season, or even attending games a month or two down the road. I'm not suggesting we have Disney character nights and sing songs about Dora the Explorer, but you could be producing a better atmosphere than that.

With the exception of the play on the field itself, the River End has the power to control the atmosphere and the attitude of the entire stadium. You have a potential 15,000+ person captive audience, and you choose to shout 'You Suck Asshole!'. How proud you must be at your cleverness and leadership.

I realize nothing I say in this post will change the group-think going on in this thread. And to use the poll in this thread as evidence that 'everyone' or even the 'majority' of fans in attendance LIKE the chant is a joke. Given that the same group of people who see this poll are the ones shouting it out every weekend, the results are just a TINY bit bias. It would be like Glenn Beck putting up a poll on his website asking for an approval rating of the president...or Red Sox putting up a poll on who do you like more, the Yankees or the Red Sox.

And even then, only 57% of those with a positive/negative opinion are in favor of it (77 votes to 57 votes as of this post).

I would like to think the SoB could produce better than this, but it seems after the past few games, that's not going to happen.

Sincerely,
    AshamedSoB

25. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should start writing for epltalk.com :rolleyes: