Opinions on sweden

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SectionX, Sep 6, 2007.

1. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    after the US played Sweden, what do you americans think of our national team? We are a very small country.

2. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Generally fast and very physically strong from front to back. Very direct style. Good, tidy midfielders, although most of the time the attack bypasses them.

Zlatan gives you a huge advantage, as he is so big and fast that they are going to have some success playing direct to him no matter who is defending. If he has his mind set, he can score at any time, all the while the rest of the team makes very few mistakes.

If I could point out a weakness, it would be in the outside backs...they are strong but a step slow at times, and some quicker, more powerful wingers could give them trouble. Tactically, they seem almost too direct...I think they would have more success if they tried to keep possesion more...as the entire side is very technically sound.

Overall, Sweden is a team that is not going to beat themselves with mistakes, and with Zlatan, they have the ability to break a game at any time. I think if they could find a more creative central midfield type that could get them away from that direct style, I could see them making big time noise in Euro 2008 (do you have any young, promising players of that description for the future?). As the team stands now, I think they'll go as far as Zlatan can carry them.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'll add this: I'd love to play Sweden again if we had some real strikers with our team. However, I still rate them as a bit better than the US, due to their overall tactical discipline, and that we don't have anyone the caliber of Zlatan or Kalestrom.

4. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've always been a fan of Sweden, and have deep respect for the team. You guys are always tough and competitive. Don't know what happened against T&T in the WC, though. Still, Sweden rules. The only thing better than the Sweden Football team are the Swedish chicks!!!