Opinions on "diving"

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by usscouse, Jan 10, 2006.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Saw this from Soccer365 mediawatch.
    No comments from me, I just wonder how you guys feel about it on a personel level.

Why Chelsea play like Chelsea

Says The Special One:
    "A player in Portugal, Spain or Italy, who simulates and wins a penalty is regarded as a perceptive, experienced, extremely intelligent player who understands the game."

All of a sudden, it makes sense.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess now that Liverpool is a La Liga side,it is easy to figure it out why your matches look more like aquatics activities. .:rolleyes:

His actual words, which had nothing to do with Chelsea, just a comment on the differences in football cultures:

"a player in Portugal, Spain or Italy, feigns and gets a penalty, he wins with that penalty... he's a very intelligent player, experienced, perspicacious, that understands the game. In England however, a player that manages to pull off a penalty in that way is a cheater! He's a cheater! He's a player that has problems surviving in the league. In Great Britain, football is clean! There's this honesty culture, of simply playing the game; there is no "gray football" culture.
    In that aspect the British are world champions, by miles."

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    diving sucks.

4. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    Depends on who's diving ;)

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    as long as there a swimmnig pool, i don't care, just don't do it on grass.

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    We have two players who definitely go down too easily. They are Duff and Drogba. We have two other players who sometimes seem to fall a bit too freely, but who don't deserve to be labelled divers. They are Robben and Joe Cole. Note that not a single one of these players comes from Spain, Italy, or Portugal. Interesting, don't you think?

7. Saugatak

Saugatak New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Southern California
    Diving occurs because there is little harm (rarely is someone carded) and the potential reward (getting someone carded, especially 2nd yellow) is great.

I hate to see a guy barely touched go down, start writhing around, all his teammates surrounding the ref b1atching and moaning, then when ref hands out yellow/red card to the guy who committed "foul", the diver carried off by teammates, 2 minutes later the diver subs in running fine.

I think diver should get the same card handed out to his victim, only fair.

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There you go again letting facts getting in the way of lies. Leave it to a scouser to misquote someone. Maybe he should be renamed USScouse@TheSun.com

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Actually, Cole and Eidur will, on rare occasions, actually take dives. Duff and Drogba do go down way too easily under contact, but Robben's entire reputation stems from one game against Portugal a year and a half ago. He hasn't been diving in the EPL, and actually stays on his feet surprisingly well.
    I do think that sometimes "flair" players in the EPL get branded divers too easily - witness Mokoena not even getting a foul for ruining the second half of Robben's season last year. And yes, that probably includes the prancing giraffe from up north, who doesn't dive as much as he whines when not getting calls.

10. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All posts on diving, cheating, lying, hair-pulling and spitting should really be re-directed to the experts on these matters in the Barcelona forum.

RE: Spitting?
    <o =""></o>
    Does spitting happen all the time or is it a seldom occurrence on the field of play?

Notorious spitters of the last 20 years (so far I have):

Eto'o
    Totti
    Diuof
    Mihajlovic
    <st1:city w:st="on"><st1 =""></st1></st1:city>Roy Keane
    Rijkaard

~ Please add to the spit list.

11. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Eto'o
    Totti
    Diuof
    Mihajlovic
    Roy Keane
    Rijkaard
    my girlfriend

12. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    Ohh dear..........how embarrassing :p

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    God damn, you have some great one-lines sometimes! Ok, most of the time!

14. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Eddie, your avatar's making me dizzy :D

15. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Occasionally I get lucky. Even Arsenal wins on the road once in a while, right? ;)

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, much as it pains me to admit it the kid hasn't been that bad of late. Did you see that tackle he did right after he got crocked near the touchline in the match before Liverpool? You can understand the kids frustration although, personally, I thought it was rather amusing :D

Not sure you're right about Cole and Eidur, though. Can't say I've noticed them 'out and out' dive, tbh - but maybe I've missed the important calls.

17. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Speaking of Eto'o - *looks directly Monkee's way*

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7303334&postcount=38 - this whole thread had me rolling for a couple of reasons

1. We wouldn't want fvcking bad attitude pissant "Sammy boy" at Chelsea and neither would Jose

and

2. Semi-panicky Barca fans make me giggle. ;)

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Catfish is actually a Real Madrid fan now, he used to be a Barca fan then he recently found out he's Spanish (he was adopted) and diving head first into his history. I applaud him for his efforts though I wonder if he found out he was English and parents were from West London if he'd be so quick to jump to the blue side!

19. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh yeah, I knew about that whole thing. I find it high-fvcking-larious. :D

He prolly would jump, he's got zero credibility in the loyalty department. Away from football, I'm sure he's a very nice guy and all - but... yeah.

Still, funny thread. :D

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why zero credibility. You can't really criticise him. I don't think you were adopted (???) so I guess it's got to be tough. I mean, imagine for your entire life not knowing where you came from then suddenly learning.

21. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Um.

Yeah, eddie? I wasn't talking about the adopted bit. I was talking about club loyalty. :confused:

A concept that it shames me to say that my fellow Americans know sweet FA about. (See also: the TONS of Steelers "fans" that suddenly appeared out of nowhere).

22. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Don't blame Skins fans for needing a decent team to support.

23. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OI you.

We're in a whole different place - this city is populated by mostly transients. The hometown folks (like myself) are burgundy and gold 'til we die, expansion team boy. :cool: ;)

24. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Carolina may be an expansion team, but I'm hardcore. I followed them for two whole weeks through sports center clips.

25. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You, widdle Panther, are HARDCORE YO.

;)