Opie and Anthony Reportedly Fired from XM

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Z010 Union, May 16, 2007.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying that O&A's fans are awful people. I can't disagree with you there

2. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    I have never heard the show, BUT I did sit next to "Opie" at a wedding party a few months ago. Other than the fact that I knew who he was before hand I NEVER would have guessed that he was a "shock jock". Really nice, level headed dude with a SUPER DUPER SMOKIN HOT girlfriend

3. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    That doesn't happen to me in person because I'm big. But I see your point.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBS' cancelling Jericho probably fell under their "community service" obligations. God, that was a horrible show.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to O&A, adameve.com is the online arm of Adam & Eve, a pretty big multi-zillion-dollar adult products catalog. So they've got a few buck to throw around.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not really. 92.3FM was ranked 23 of 31 in NYC. It' s just not doing the business since Stern left. Never di, never will, it looks like. O&A raised the ratings ever so slightly, but it's still mired in the bottom third.

Your problem seems to be that because your looking to howl "Censorship!", you can't see that it just might be a solid business decision, nothing to do with free speech and all to do with the bottom line.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you. But it's hard to deny that the whole Imus/Jv and Elvis/O&A witch hunt didn't hasten this decision. Had it not been for that, perhaps the format would have reamined the same with O&A and Ron and Fez as the anchors and replacements for JV and Elvis, Nick DiPaolo and The Radio Chick would have been found.

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long live the boys...

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...1470546_RTRIDST_0_XMSATELLITE-OPIEANTHONY.XML

And guess what, XM is listening to all of us who canceled their subscriptions in protest. For whoever canceled the service, XM says it’ll waive the $14.95 reactivation fee. Is this an olive branch to the fans or what?

So to all those that were praising the free market for bouncing the boys, how do you like it now?

FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUNKIS!

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It's called marketing. Nothing more. If it served their ends better to charge you the $14.95, they would have.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It kills you to admit that my measures and the similar measures of others with the same POV were effective, doesn't it?

11. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see you happy.

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not at all. They weren't. No such thing as a free lunch. As I said, if it served their ends better to charge you the $14.95, they would have.

13. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are also reports that large numbers of HBO subscribers are now cancelling the channel in protest over the Sopranos finale. Do you think that HBO will now make David Chase re-write the ending?

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why does it serve there ends? Come on, you can say it.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a big difference between artist and distributor. You're smart, you will figure it out.