Opie and Anthony Reportedly Fired from XM

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Z010 Union, May 16, 2007.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. So does that mean that violent sex is forbidden from the pay airwaves as well?

2. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you remain a humorless ass. You have no idea what her reaction would be. Maybe she would taste her own blood, smile and kick the shit out of this homeless guy. Then everyone goes home thrilled.

Sort of like a Mr. and Mrs. Smith kind of thing.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was making a joke and not trying to imply anything larger.

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a spin around urbandictionary.com. I guarantee you can find numerous acts and phrases that sound funny, but just because someone thinks it's funny, doesn't mean they'd ever do it.

I think Cleveland Steamer is one of the funniest things I ever heard...but to this day I have still not dropped a deuce on a girl. For a fun treat at your next party, look up Upper Decker.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And neither do you.

The bit was about violence against women. They made it funny to beat a woman - and it doesn't matter if it was during sex or not. Violence against women is not funny, in any context.

Now, while O&A have the right to do that bit, they also have to expect the consequences.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any problem with people fishing to be offended? Because that's what happened here.
    Don't any of you have problem with the PC witch hunt?

The bit was about the ramblings of a homeless man that followed them up to the studio, not violence. This wasn't pre-planned content or anything. And anything can be funny in proper context. But that's immaterial to the discussion because you have the ability to not listen. I find televangelists to be despicable human beings who are far more damaging and offensive to society than O&A or Imus could ever be. But I don't watch and I don't threaten their sponsors. I simply don't watch and leave that progamming to those who like it.

Perhaps that what others should do.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with that notion - there are many things that people get infuriated at that is meant to be a joke. I do think that many of them are being overly sensitive. Yet there are some ideas that should not be joked about. We can talk specifics all we want, but I do not believe violence against women is a subject to be joked about.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Bottom line with all these assholes is that they all look to top each other like 5 year olds on a playground. When one says, "Shit", the next one says, "Fuck" and the next one says, "Fucking shit". And so on until one of them is called on what they say and then the singular, sole defense is "C'mon, it was just a joke," no matter how offensive what it was they said.

And then when the radio owners make a business-based decision and can their asses, the morons pile on shouting, "Free speech!" forgetting that it was free speech got them there in the first place. But the owners said X number of listeners do not outweigh Y number of advertizers who won't play ball. QED, the school kids get canned.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, it was a market correction.

What?

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there are thousands of people who disagree with you and now due to the cowardice of XM, who knew exactly what they were getting into with O&A and had no problem benefiting from for the last 2 years, are losing a source of entertainment due to the actions of a hater.

11. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the customers have no voice in the matter.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? You're not allowed to cancel your subscription or call 1-800-PIS-SOFF with your customer complaint?

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The customers appear to be a minority in this case. As previously noted, O&A would likely still be on the air at XM if their numbers were better. From what I understand (still looking for a link), their numbers on terrestrial radio have steadily declined since they went back on the air. I can only assume that the number of people who subscribed to XM and paid extra for O&A has also gone down.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My idea about risqué subjects for jokes is: you better make damn sure the joke is funny. Which is why I think some comedians should stay away from those topics, for their own good.

Can a rape-related joke be funny? Perhaps, but I think very, very few comedians can pull something like that off. Comedians should be aware of their limitations and employ some wisdom in their choice of themes.

The problem with a controversial theme is that if you don't treat it in the right way, it will make your joke turn out vicious and distastefull.

I did have more problems with the Imus remarks, because they were directed at (relatively) powerless people, while these remarks, however distasteful, were directed at people who are more able to handle attacks like these.

However, I do feel that some things are off limits. You do not make fun of another person's real suffering. Don Imus' sidekick who made fun of Kylie Minogue's cancer is a sack of shit and a every breath he takes is a waste of perfectly good air, as far as I am concerned.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if thousands of people do that it will not have the weight of one person with a grudge and a recorder to sissy ass XM. The customers are essentially powerless in comparison.

Why? Because the customer base is full of white males and XM is scared shitless of looking racist/sexist/whateverist and bow to even the most minimal pressue immediately. Even after profitting off of the same thing for 2 years before hand. But white males are an easy target because they don't organize and create havoc.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Bullshit. You just don't want to accept that XM made a revenue-based decision. Their beancounters figured that you and the 56 others that cancelled your XM subscriptions were not worth as much as their advertisers/underwriters. Simple as.

(Now cue righteous indignation that I go the number, 56, wrong. :rolleyes: )

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shit. I just think the beancounters are sorely mistaken and I am unhappy with their decision. I also happen to believe this has more to do with the merger and the FCC than actual broadcast. This seems like an action to placate to the politicians.

Which advertisers BTW? As for underwriters, they knew what they were getting with these guys so they have no excuse.

18. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey

Here's a little bit from sponsors who are pulling their ads....because of the suspension.

http://www.orbitcast.com/

19. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reach. reach reach reach.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait wait wait. I'm totally confused.

When did violence against women stop being funny?

21. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If O&A's biggest advertisers are a coffee roaster in Nashville and an on-line sex toy distributor, I can see why XM wouldn't want to waste time on them.

22. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I don't know, I do the Russian Candycane all the time.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said biggest? They get multinationals on the CBS side.

24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Officially? When they were allowed to vote. Unofficially...?

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it happened to you or someone you love.

Seriously, I honestly wonder about the psychological health of someone who finds humor in a woman being raped and punched. And I'll go even further. Let's assume that this was the most offensive bit that O&A ever did, but it wasn't like Babe Ruth hitting 54 home runs in 1920 and demolishing the previous record (IIRC, 29.) This was more like Bonds hitting 73 and edging past McGwire's 70. Just the next, inevitable step.

What kind of person would find the "70 home run" stuff funny?