"Operation Survival" - Nantes Atlantique 2006/07 [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Allez Lyonnais, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Poor Nantes.
    [​IMG]

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    now bets are on as to which legendary club will get back to L1 first... stade reims or nantes.

3. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Nantes most likely.

4. English_Gent

English_Gent New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Reading, England
    Emerse Fae will be signing for Reading this week

5. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pity. I was hoping he stays in Ligue 1 (PSG for example). Very good player.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    nantes descend into confusion...

since when is this news?

"I can understand why the fans are angry," said Nantes chairman Rudi Roussillon.

can you rudi? can you understand that canning 3 coaches and bringing in players who don't give a toss about nantes' tradition was a poor idea? can you understand that what the fans really want is your head on a pike?

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  8. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I heard Jean Jacques Pierre might be leaving FC Nantes and heading to Manchester City in a deal. I already know that Fabrice Noel from the Colorado Rapids (MLS) has already signed with FC Nantes, but is the rumor about Jean Jacque Pierre true?

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Whilemsson was very successfull at Roma. Had Nantes kept him instead of loaning him out who knows what would have happened. Nantes signed him and loaned him out 6 months later and that was a very dumb move so I really dont feel sorry for what happened to them.

10. Allez Lyonnais

Allez Lyonnais New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    TX
    The coach was having issues with his poor defensive contributions. He was overrated imho.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    People forget he still under contract with Nantes. Roma had a fine season in Italy and Europe and I believe he was a key contributor in that.

12. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What do you lot think of Alexander Morfaw? Been spotted training with us apparently, any good?

13. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's ok. He has decent speed. That's about all I know. If we're discussing nantais defenders, I'd start with Steven Thicot, since he was the leader of the Euro U-17 winning France team. I know that you all have loaned him out in this past season, though now that he's back, I hope he'll be able to get into some games. He's raw, though I think he could turn out good, he has the tools (1m86 thus strong in the air, good defensive awareness).

14. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    heh :p .

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Am I the only one who doesnt feel sorry for this club ? I feel sorry for the fans but the club got what it deserved. They relied too heavily on their youth system and didnt spend enough on transfers. For a club thats one of the top 10 biggest in the country they sure were pretty damn cheap. Their last season in the top flight they broke that mold and signed Whilemsson but it was a disaster and too little to late.

16. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Since I'm an admirer of youth systems, I do have sympathy on that level, though in terms of management, definitely not. Nantes I think has been poorly managed (talking more about the front office than the coach) since they won the title before the OL dynasty, I mean, yes, it's hard to prevent all of Toulalan, Landreau, Yepes, Carrière, Berson, Monterrubio, Gillet from leaving, but one has to think that they could have held on to a couple of the hometown guys.

I'm not one who likes to take sides in affairs I don't care too much about. However, I'll say that I think the biggest difference between Nantes and Rennes is management. Rennes have had a ton of terrific transfers, Petr Cech, anybody? How about Kim Källstrom? John Mensah has been a brilliant player for them. Of course, like Nantes, they've also developed more than a lot of youth players, such as Didot, Faty, Briand, Mvuemba, Marveaux, a bunch of which have actually remained at Rennes.

In any case, I'm not one to rub salt into wounds, but I do think that Nantes are the worst-managed team in Bretagne.

17. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    I do. Its sad to see a historic club go down, but like you said they do deserve the relegation.

18. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Come to think of it, I always thought Raynald Denoueix was a terrific manager. Why did he leave?

In any case, I think Nantes will be back soon, so this will turn irrelevant. Then again, if the centre de formation goes downhill, who knows.

19. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The year after the title, he began the season very poorly. Some of Nantes fans still think he wasn't the man for a long-term management.

20. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    New logo for FCN

[​IMG]

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Old logo is better. New logo doesnt say ATLANTIQUE on it. I wonder if its been dropped from the club's name.