Operation June 1 Sellout

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jericho, May 14, 2013.

1. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Wait...Deschanel comes before Hathaway in the alphabet.

:D
    /kidding

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially Die Fohlen ;)

NUFCBayern repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you count winning the 2-Bundesliga in 2008;)

2008 was not a bad year for me, even not counting events that no longer exist. Phillies win the Series, Crew win the Cup, and Gladbach gets promoted.

That's part of reality though. Most teams in world soccer win nothing. Most are even below 500 and thus mediocre due to the dominance of a handful of teams.

NUFCBayern and THOMA GOL repped this.
  4. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If I can't go because I'm out of the country, but I still get the most people to go, can I still host a MR segment?

5. KillerCanary

KillerCanary Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are we talking a complete 20,145+ person sellout for this Operation? Or is 90% capacity (18,131) considered a victory for this endeavor?

I was looking back over the last few years, and from 2009 to now there have been 7 games in which Lamar's House was over 90% full.

Here is that list:
    1. September 24, 2011
    Crew 0 – 1 LA Galaxy
    Attendance: 21,203

2. September 26, 2009
    Crew 2 – 0 LA Galaxy
    Attendance: 20,966

3. June 30, 2012
    Crew 2 – 0 RSL
    Attendance: 19,674

4. August 15, 2009
    Crew 2 – 0 FC Dallas
    Attendance: 19,115

5. October 24, 2010
    Crew 3 – 1 Philadelphia Union
    Attendance: 19,006

6. March 24, 2012
    Crew 2 – 0 Montreal Impact
    Attendance: 18,197

7. May 29, 2010
    Crew 0 – 2 LA Galaxy
    Attendance: 18,139

FYI: Our record in these games is 5-2-0 (+7 GD)

So, OpJ1 will be a real achievement, if (when) it happens.

This season Crew Stadium has been 63.7% full on average, so if half of the average bring one new person, we will be over 95% full. This is 100% acheivable.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had been thinking--and commented on it elsewhere--that the Crew tend to stink up the joint whenever there is a large crowd. I seem to be wrong--at least during Bob's tenure. I guess that's just another example of perception vs reality.

7. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As long as the Nordecke is sold out. I am happy.

But would like our first attendance number over 16K of the year

8. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    kgilbert78 - I wasn't calling you out specifically. It's just seeing that something like this has to be done is so frustrating when a lot of us on here have put so much time and money into this team year after year.

It's kind of disheartening

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had thought that, too. Also, when a Crew match is on espn. I think that one holds, though. But again, I do not know the stats offhand.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm not calling out you specifically either--I just get frustrated with folks *expecting* more than may be reasonable--as I noted earlier that most soccer fans in world leagues are lucky to even sniff a championship unless they follow one of the giants. I am not saying all Bayern, Barca, or ManU fans are front runners--many came to them in their youth just as I came to Gladbach (who *were* one of the giants of German soccer at the time, to be honest). But soccer fans, for the most part, don't get to be winners all the time or even all that often. In MLS there is one winner and 18 losers *every year*. In Columbus, OH, we do have one of the giants of college sports, and I think that colors our expectations. But pros are different.

I love soccer and am thrilled to have a team in the top division here--especially in a smaller market--where I can attend the top league any time I want at a reasonable price. Do we even realize just how special that is, by itself? We are one of only 16 cities in the US that can say this. Now of course I want to see my team play well and winning a championship is special. I'll never forget 2008. But it's icing on the cake and not a reasonable expectation most seasons. Not in a small market (unless you are Green Bay). I'm passionate about my team too. I want them to play hard and work hard. I paid good money for my ticket so I will boo when I feel it's needed. But I'm *there*. And I'll grouse about the officiating and coaching and play and players too. You all know I do. But I'm there. And I usually get what I paid for. Soccer. First division soccer. Sometimes the game s*cks--like Saturday. That's sports. But sometimes it's magical. It's the Beautiful Game. And I'm glad it's here. Win or lose.

11. KillerCanary

KillerCanary Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dream bigger young grasshopper, for this has already come to pass. Home opener v. San Jose was 16,528.

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  12. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be at least a minimum expectation to make the playoffs in MLS and not have 5 points out of 15 at home.

I think we can all agree to that.

The big difference in all of the arguments though I believe is expectations as a "die hard fan" like pretty much all of us on here vs expectations of a "light/non" fan of the game.

The die-hards like all of us will still go to every game. Will still tailgate all day. Will still go to viewing parties etc etc etc.

The light/non fan of the game though will have different expectations. Wins are important to this group whether we like it or not.

Swellster and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  13. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not giant; we're massive, which is why we expect championships. Who are these Real and Barca you speak of though...

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say of all pro soccer leagues + US sports leagues that MLS is designed for pretty much anyone to win something from year to year. Worst to first/get hot for the playoffs is something that can happen. (hockey may be the same but I don't follow it that closely)

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fair point, though with the DP coming in and expanding, this may be less true. Hockey sure was last season (and I think the Jackets might have surprised had they gotten in this season). At the same time, after 15 years, there are some original teams that have zero stars.

16. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't justify paying money to watch Tony Tchani play soccer.

cam5fc and American Brummie repped this.
  17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What's your beef with Tchani? I prefer him to O'Rourke.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    How much espn have you watched in the past few years?

BrickStreetBoy repped this.
  19. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He pisses away possession far too often. He is athletic but lacks a quality first touch. Better suited for a defensive role than he is in the central midfield.

I'm not crazy about O'Rourke as a CM either. I think he is best utilized somewhere on the backline. Great at retaining possession, but provides almost nothing going forward.

20. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Why in the world would anyone who wasn't a die hard fan want to come to watch this uninspired team play Houston?

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have easily said that at the same point in the season in 2008, after three straight losses--two of those at home. But I think I answered this above. Because you want to see first division soccer without traveling hundreds of miles. Heck, why do folks go to Browns games then??

BrickStreetBoy repped this.
  22. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To see orange-colored school buses or chester vans with large canine tails attached at the back of them.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  23. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree he gives away possession but no more than anyone else on the team and not because he has a poor first touch. Rather, some of his passes are just errant. Same goes for Dom Oduro. Folks whine about his poor first touch when his second touch is actually his poor one.

JB the First repped this.
  24. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom has a pretty poor touch. Even without his run of scoring, I resigned myself to accepting the good with the bad: he will get to ball nobody else can get to, but he'll occasionally flub a touch.

Big and athletic doesn't do enough for me in the central midfield. Not at the professional level.

Viana, Sanchez, and Gaven are our 3 best central midfielders.

25. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Here's the poster. I've got about 500 of these babies in full color and 5 movie poster size ones at this point. We'll have them all up between now and the end of the weekend. Feel free to help if you'd like. I'll be doing some stuff as my work schedule permits this week, but the major push will be Sunday. I plan on getting to Three Legged Mare in the Arena District at 11:30a and walking to Hendoc's for the Massive Report Podcast at 3 all while putting these things up on the way up High Street. Anyone who wants to help (walking all the way not required and for that matter hanging out with me not required. If you want to help get your area of town that's awesome.) is more than welcome to join me.

(Also if it's crazy hot anyone who wants to drive down High Street and chuck a bottle of water at me would be very much appreciated.)