Openning game: COSTA RICA vs CANADA comments & result

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by efernandez9, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Full time... Canada commits larceny in getting three points. Costa Rica totally unable to finish on their many second-half chances.

2. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    Actually, I guessed at "argo," but I had a feeling it was between "nada" and "mucho."

3. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the match, the Canadian National Team were Handcuffed by Foxboro Police and Taken to jail, Charged with Larceny!!!

Just an awful match!!! Costa Rica and Canada sucked!!! Very unlike Costa Rica to have such bad finishes.

The Man of the Match for me was Lars Hirschfield for keeping Canada in the match and holding on for the 1-0 win.

4. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    The Russian press often blasted their ex-national coach by accusing him of "caveman tactics". Canada exemplified "caveman tactics" in this match. They might have the slowest back line in the federation. Llamosa and Agoos would beat these guys in a sprint.

Costa Rica should have scored a number of times through speedy flank play. Their finishing was abysmal. They also lacked the extra creativity to vary their play.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    VIVE LES ROUGES!!!!!!
    :D

6. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Both of these teams absolutely sucked today. The USA should have absolutely no problem advancing to the Final in this tournament.

And what was with letting Otis from Andy Griffith handle the main camera?

Which one of us out here in TV land wanted to see Sampson rather than the game?

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowd. For one thing, it seemed fuller on the side with the benches, and the first game of a triple header isn't likely to be much of a draw. Especially if anyone had anticipated the clinic that CR put on today on how to blow wide open opportunities. They deserved 0 points way more than Canada deserved 3--or even one.

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sorry, but when you blow that many chances you don't deserve anything. Full marks to Canada for pulling off the upset.

8. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    This is the kind of game Canada usually plays isn't it? I give them full marks for playing their game and winning. Costa Rica deserved absolutely nothing from this game.

Good job Canada.

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    by no means - well deserved 3pts!

they palce the right amount of denfenders in the right place. Costa rica was not fast enuf, CR was only getting to 18 to 10 yards out and QUIT!

great finish score, with the help of the mistaken CR defender......

any reactions from Steve sampson yet?
    attendance numbers?

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I'm glad I'm not the only one whining about this. That was some of the worst camera work I've ever seen on any sports broadcast.

Costa Rica played with no urgency after they went down. Their offensive strategy for much of the game seemed to be to advance the ball into the box, then fall down and appeal for a penalty. They had no creativity. Hirschfeld MOTM. Studly performance.

11. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like his Friedel-esque "hair" style. He played like him today. Maybe Tottenham would loan Lars to the metrostars?

12. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    Canada + Costa Rica = a two hour nap

When soccer is played at its highest level, it truly lives up to its name as "the beautiful game", but you have to admit that once in a while, there really are some games that are so boring that they could put you to sleep. One of those games was the Canada vs. Costa Rica game. I was looking forward to watching the inaugural game of the Gold Cup, but thanks to the slow pace and lack of excitement of the game I found myself asleep by the 40th minute. I didn't wake up until I heard GOOOOOOOOOOOOOL in the 2nd half. But after the goal the game returned to its normal turtle pace so I went back to sleep.

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Canada + Costa Rica = a two hour nap

Softy

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: Re: Canada + Costa Rica = a two hour nap

:D

He is not a true believer.

15. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

Feb 28, 1999
    Hop, Vinland
    Club:
    Tromso IL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was such comically bad soccer that I actually found it captivating.

16. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    You gotta love people who think football is only good when the entire game looks like a highlight reel. I wonder if some of these guys ever actually play football, seeing as they're not likely to be at the level they demand from football players.

Honestly, though, if Canada had world-class players, don't you think we'd play with more flair? If we had a Ronaldinho or a mid-90s Matt Le Tissier, I'm sure you'd see mazy runs, screamers from 35 yards out and shots and passes that seem to defy the laws of physics. We don't, though. We have nothing even remotely close to a good playmaker, our best midefielders aren't here, we have our best defender playing as a makeshift striker and our best striker and only world class players is in Energland nursing an injury.

So, believe you me, if we could play like Brazil, we would. As I'm sure we're all well aware of, we can't. Hence the defensive stlye of play.

17. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    I don't think it was a bad game. Canada's defence played above itself, probably thanks to the leadership of De Vos. Lars was outstanding, as was Gonzalez. Like in 2002, it was Lars that prevented a Tico landslide. The Yanks who disparage the game seem to get off on high scorelines.

Costa Rica is still a world class team. I don't think that Wanchope was missed, his best days are behind him. Gonzalez was Great, he should have been in Korea last year! Costa Rica's failure could be put down to luck and poor finishing, but Sampson should have gone in on the wings more. I expected that he assumed that Canada's defensive line would crack. Even Latinos have to use crosses sometimes.

I think it was a great game. It could have been Costa Rica 6, Canada 2, except for some breaks.

If Canada can hold on against Cuba, I think that Costa Rica will kick arrogant USA butt in the quarters with a little offensive tinkering. See if you like high scoring when you are the victims bushbabies! Should it be us, Canada has less chance of scoring goals against the US, but we'll SEE how good the US goaltending and defence is now!

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    :rolleyes:

Geez, relax. No need to get all defensive. The yanks who said the game was boring (and rightly so) also gave Canada their props for getting the result (and rightly so). Take your rittalin, Garth.

19. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Article: Note Sampson's Comments

I post this mainly for Sampson's comments (he was uninspiring in terms of offnesvie adjustments in France as he was here), but its a good article generally.

By the way, I was doing a bit of joking with the bushbaby thing, sorry buddies.

------------------------------------------------

Canada opens Gold Cup soccer tournament with 1-0 win over Costa Rica

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2003/07/12/134370-cp.html

By NEIL DAVIDSON

FOXBORO, Mass. (CP) - Canada opened the Gold Cup men's soccer tournament with a bang Saturday, defeating Costa Rica 1-0 to topple a team ranked 60 places above the blue-collar Canadians.

Paul Stalteri scored against the run of the play in the 59th minute after a defender failed to cut off an attack launched by a long ball from Jason Bent. Stalteri, the Werder Bremen dynamo playing in an attacking midfield role, held off a defender and coolly tucked the ball past goalkeeper Ricardo Gonzalez.

The win could have a huge payoff for coach Holger Osieck's squad.

Canada, which wraps up the opening round against Cuba on Monday (Rogers Sportsnet, 6:30 p.m. EDT), would have a much easier route in the quarter-finals if it wins its group.

A second-place finish would likely mean a date with the defending champion Americans. Topping the group could mean a far friendlier matchup against El Salvador or Martinique.

Costa Rica, ranked No. 18 to No. 78 for Canada, had only itself to blame for the loss.

The Ticos squandered a slew of chances throughout the game.

The Costa Ricans started the game in style, stroking the ball around and showing off some party tricks - Nick Dasovic was left looking behind him when Walter Centeno slipped the ball between his legs.

Winston Parks, a striker for Locomotiv Moscow, forced an early save from Lars Hirschfeld on a low curling shot in the first minute.

It was the first game action for Hirschfeld since he injured a hamstring playing for Luton in England on March 19.

But the Canadians hung on, using the flanks and their height to chip away at the Central Americans.

And by the time the half was over, both defender Paul Fenwick and midfielder Daniel Imhof had had their heads in their hands because of missed chances.

Gonzalez denied both with spectacular diving saves to palm the ball away. Fenwick was stopped after Jason deVos, on the receiving end of a free kick, flicked the ball to his teammate in the box in the 14th minute.

Then Imhof was denied in the 26th minute, after a Bent cross eventually found its way to him.

Costa Rica had its chances too, with an Alexander Castro cross hammered off the goalpost in the 28th minute.

The Ticos came close on several other opportunities, just failing to connect with passes behind the Canadian defence.

The Costa Ricans came out blazing in the second half, creating a string of chances.

Centeno grazed the post in the 47th minute after Wilmer Lopez cut into the Canadian box down the right and elected to pass rather than shoot. Leonardo Gonzalez shot just wide a minute later.

In the 56th minute, Parks misfired unbelievably after Castro found him wide open in front of goal.

Stalteri's goal interrupted the Costa Rica onslaught.

Hirschfeld stopped Parks in the 61st minute and that was it for the striker, who was substituted after a miserable afternoon.

The Canadians spent the last third of the game defending.

The match was the opener of a tripleheader at the 68,000-capacity Gillette Stadium, the showcase home of the New England Patriots.

The home-town New England Revolution were to play the New York-New Jersey MetroStars in the second game with the U.S.-El Salvador Gold Cup clash the nightcap.

The upper bowl was deserted for Canada's game - unofficial attendance was almost 24,000 - but the lower bowl had a healthy number of Costa Rican fans dressed almost exclusively in bright red - making large chunks of the lower stands look like they had been daubed with nail polish.

The Costa Ricans were a festive group, brandishing flags and doing the wave. A small pocket of Canadians, behind the goal, did what they could for the other side.

The 12-team Gold Cup is the championship of CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean. Costa Rica was runner-up in 2002 while Canada was third.

The Ticos are one of the tougher nuts to crack in the region. Costa Rica is ranked third in the confederation, compared to ninth for Canada.

Costa Rica, which qualified for the 2002 World Cup, is 7-2-1 under former U.S. coach Steve Sampson.

The game, played under sunny skies, was the 45th of Osieck's tenure as coach. His record is 20-16-9.

It was also Canada's fifth in a row without the top strike force of Everton's Tomasz Radzinski and San Jose's Dwayne De Rosario, who are both are recovering from injury. Canada went 2-3 during that stretch.

Costa Rica was missing the injured Paulo Wanchope (Manchester City) and Ronald Gomez (OFI Crete, Greece).

Notes: The Canadian starting 11 had a combined 304 caps going into the game, compared to 436 for Costa Rica. Nine of the 11 Ticos starters were at the 2002 World Cup.

20. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Honestly, I enjoyed this match for some sick reason, watched the whole thing. CR will rue the day they named Sampson head coach (perhaps the reason Univision kept showing him is because the announcers were still in awe that he got the job), CR is at the point where their expectations should be qualifying out of the group stage of the WC, and I really don't see Sampson and the Ticos doing that with their level of play recently and his coaching history.
    Onto Canada, congrats to them, Canadian national team fans haven't had the best years since their GC victory in 2000 but hopefully they can build upon this win and sneak their way into the Hex in front of a team like T&T or Jamaica. I'd like to see Canada/US become more of a rivalry to increase interest in soccer around these parts because quite honestly the tactics (diving, cheap shots a plenty) and class (throwing urine bags at opponents) of the MNT seems to turn off a lot of USMNT fans. Congrats Canada.

21. CanuckFan2

CanuckFan2 New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Calgary
    To all the naysayers

Canada won. With a team missing around 5 starters from it's A team. Didn't have to be pretty.
    Now if things go according to plan, and they can manage a win over Cuba, we'll see how Costa Rica rallies to face the USA in the quarters. Arena might be sweating like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee next Saturday.

22. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: To all the naysayers

Why?

23. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA
    I got home from US-ES about an hour ago and was also there for Canada-CR....I'm curious as to the camera angles you saw, as the entire lower bowl on the opposite side of the benches was at least 70-75% full, all with Ticos and there were quite a number of them around the corners on the other side of the field. They actually made for a pretty great atmosphere (until les Rouges put one up anyway), the first half of this match was by far the loudest I have ever heard the inside of Gillette Stadium (until the US-ES match started, those Salvadorenos were incredibally loud), and that's including 8 sold out Patriots games last season.

24. RevSoccerbbs

RevSoccerbbs New Member

May 12, 2001
    Massachusetts
  25. PumaBear

PumaBear New Member

May 5, 2001
    back in el defectuoso
    Tha camera angle was focused on the bench side. It seemed semi-empty. I also based the observation on the atmosphere sound take. It really gave the impression that not many people where there.... However later on I saw a wide angle open shot of the stadium and saw that there were more people than what i initially thought.... Still nothing to brag about if this is supposedly our "continental" tournament....