opening day vs SOL

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by pasoccerdad, Mar 13, 2009.

1. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
  2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    The Somerset Patriots, a minor league team. It is actually a very nice stadium...the crown jewel of the Atlantic League, I believe it is called. I was surprised that they didn't take the net down, but I also don't know how much of a hassle that would have been.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think it was a sellout, but if you go based on seating I guess it is. They've had bigger crowds for baseball (not many), but maybe that was with added seating.

In any event, Sky Blue will be thrilled with the turnout, though they can't get to Rutgers quick enough.

6. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    This stadium is known for great support no matter what event is held there.

I was not surprised at the great turnout yesterday. This area is rich with footy fans and I can see them having a good turnout next Saturday as well---possibly a sellout.

Rutgers is only 10 minutes away and generally has the same amount of seating there.

Here is the local paper's coverage of the game.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20090405/SPORTS05/904050330/1126

7. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I just threw the pics up with the rest of my shots from the past few years... Posting to my WPS blog and putting up the Pic page now.. the girl is my Daughter and that was from one of the USWNT games we went to - I am a soccer junkie

8. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone found any video yet? I looked but didn't see any (but could have easily missed it)

pasoccerdad, thanks for putting your pics online.

10. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    I have been told that Sky Blue is having some technical problems with the video that are holding things up....

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league should've tested all this out before the season started. Having a video or video link to Marta's 2 goals on the front page of the WPS site is exactly what WPS needs to showcase their best player.

12. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I second that real.

Also is it just me or do others have trouble navigating their website? Took me forever to find the photos, and the who separate fan corner is a pain. I have like 8 bookmarks for the wps between the home page, the fan corner and the teams. I really wish they had a decent message board too.

It's just a very confusing layout...at least to me.

13. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are absolutely correct. Whoever did the site could've done a much better job. These days you can get some very attractive websites done for not a lot of money.

They should have a video section up front to watch highlights of recent games along with the current standings and upcoming comes which aren't even on the home page.

14. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I'd be ecstatic if all teams could actually manage a decent match report. This, for instance, is way below what I would have expected. Not even line ups or anything. It's a bit stupid that you have to check BS threads afterwards to piece together who was actually playing, unless you happened to be sitting with various twitter thingies, Matchtracker (which was appalling) and checking threads during the match to get a rough idea of what was going on.

15. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    While I agree with all of you, the league and teams are still in "start-up" mode and certain problems are inevitable. If it wasn't video or web design problems it would be something else. It just takes to to sort everything out and establish a rhythm of consistency in everything. Let's just be thankful the on-field product is solid, the rest will work itself out in time.

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    To develop my point about the match report: how are people not at the match supposed to know anything about the quality of "on-field product" if there's not much info available?

17. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    That is fair, but I personally don't believe in determining the quality of a match by looking at a match report. We all know a nil-nil game can be a thriller. With that said, the basic box score really should be in there, and you are quite correct on that. Hopefully things progress as the season goes on (we can find out in a little over 48 hours for game two!

18. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And yes, that's what the match report (rather than just dull statistics) is for, surely? I see absolutely no contradicition in terms there, so is this a language problem? Because what I want to know about is the match, who was in it, how it progressed... If you look at the Sky Blue match report, you'd think it ended at half time once the goals were scored. :confused: How did they shape up in the second half? Who were the most active players? Who was shut down by what defenders? Was there anyone there at all?