opening day vs SOL

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by pasoccerdad, Mar 13, 2009.

1. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's going ? I just got my tickets, but now I realize it is Palm Sunday. Living 2 Hours away, i will not be able to get there as early as I would like. So if anyone is going early please let me know...

2. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might go. I am excited to see Marta play and will be driving back from DC that day.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. WPSFansGameDay

WPSFansGameDay New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    For anyone going to the game today (or if you know someone at the game today):

If you have twitter capabilities on your mobile phone please join the group WPSFansGameDay on twitter. Then send the group DIRECT MESSAGES about what you are seeing at the game. Direct messages will be sent to all members of the group.

It's a play by play from the perspective of the fans.

It would be great if people join since Matchtracker doesn't seem to be working right now.

Thanks,
    WPSFansGameDay

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why am I not surprised there is not a gameday thread in the team forum with the least amount of posts.

Hope you guys have a good crowd in NY/NJ and the lack of interest here doesn't reflect on attendance.

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No [R] so I won't give away the score, but the announced attendance was 6,053. Not a sellout, but not bad.

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not bad but let's hope they can maintain that over 5,000 for the year. New York sports fan can be pretty fickle from what I hear.

8. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    I thought the crowd was solid in numbers, lacking in energy. They by far most responsive to Marta. Not even the hometown women of O'Reilly and Rampone could get the ovation Marta got. In fairness, pretty much everything to cheer was for was coming from LA...

And why not slap an [R] on this? Let's do game threads from here on out!

Here's a report, as to officially add an [R]...

http://www.examiner.com/x-4801-NY-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m4d5-Marta-shines-in-Sol-victory

9. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know at least one Freedom fan who's enthusiastic enough about the league to have made a 3-hour trip each way to see the game.

10. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

maybee that what what was missing in the stadium - energy... hard to get energy going when the fans are located from the Half to around the back of one goal... good game, but the atmophere really sucked and I was annoyed that all the Sky Blue players went to only the area behind the goal to start signings, especcailly since I was front row at Mid Field.

However, a number of Sol players came our way and marta started signing 5 feet over from us, but did not come our way.... oh, well... Box, Cox, Fletcher, Peirce and a couple others did sign. Of Course Marta was rushed off the field for interviews the way Mia was in the days of the WUSA

I did enjoy rooting for the SOL, while my daughter rooted for HAO...

I will probably go back when the Sol come back to town and at Yurzik field.

Wanted to stay longer but none of the Sky blues were making there way past the Left field dugout and we did not feel like fighting the crowd since we had great seats. I was not annoyed by ball live like I was on TV... more tomorrow

11. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Hopefully he wasn't too disappointed....

And I understand. Since yesterday morning I have traveled about 9 hours for the game and getting back to where I am at...

12. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I traveled 2 hours both ways and was at the Stadium at 1:20 to get the best seats I could, sat around making up a sign as I waited for the gates to open at 2:30

13. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so you guys all know, WPS is reporting the crowd to be a sell-out at TD Bank Park.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have reports on lineups, formations, player ratings/performances?

eta: the "unofficial" box score has Rampone being subbed out WAY early. Injury? Terrible, terrible, terrible play? Details anyone?

15. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Boxscore (WPS pdf)

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    A pulled hamstring according to the Sky Blue twitter last night.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I tried to rep you but couldn't. Not sure why. Can any of the SkyBlue fans who were at the game give player ratings, etc? Thanks.

18. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Ah, :eek:... I shall bask in the somewhat deflected glory anyway ;).

19. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I covered ya. :)

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More public, if deflected, glory :D

Thanks.

Now, pasoccerdad said on another thread that there might be video on the skyblue site sometime soon.

21. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    They announced at the game that every Sky Blue home game will have a video replay available on the web the next day. Sky Blue is pretty on top of its stuff, so I would think that the team would hold to that.

Though still unofficial, Rampone's injury is not a pulled hamstring, it is a strain of the hamstring she was nursing in the preseason. A pull would be serious problems...they are talking about getting her back on the field soon.

22. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks for the photos!

23. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States