Open D-1 coaching positions

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by RobtheAggie, Nov 15, 2004.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Elon University - UNC-Greensboro Assistant Darren Powell
    2. Longwood University - Jon Atkinson
    3. Loyola University-Chicago - Brendan Eitz, Former Loyola Women's Coach
    4. Manhattan College- Michael Swanwick - Dominican College Head Coach
    5. Northeastern University- Brendan Donahue- Former Assistant
    6. Sacred Heart University - Joe Barroso Women's coach at Sacred Heart
    7. St. Bonnaventure University - ???
    8. University of Central Florida ???
    9. University of Dayton - Dennis Currier, Former Head Coach - Incarnate Word
    10. University of Illinois-Chicago - John Trask, FC Dallas Assistant (MLS)
    11. US Naval Academy - Rich Miranda, Naval Academy Assistant
    12. Xavier University - Dave Schureck, University of Dayton Head Coach

UCF dismissed Bob Winch this week:
    Golden Knights Athletic Director Steve Orsini told Winch late he was not happy with the direction of the program. "I think we did a great job considering all the challenges," said Winch, who was 100-94-13 in 12 seasons. "I was happy with where we took the program. But bottom line, I wasn't Steve's guy. He didn't hire me." Winch guided the Knights to a 11-7-2 record and a third Atlantic Sun Tournament title in 2004, and his program advanced to a second-round NCAA Tournament game for the first time in school history. The program was under minor scholarship restrictions the past two seasons -- and for next season -- from self-imposed penalties stemming from of poor documentation of student loans, Winch said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...31033105mar31,0,1571904.story?coll=tf-knights

2. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA

3. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    One job you are forgetting is University of Hartford...a pretty attractive job at a nice school in an okay D1 conference.

4. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Colgate is now open as well................

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Elon University - UNC-Greensboro Assistant Darren Powell
    2. Longwood University - Jon Atkinson
    3. Loyola University-Chicago - Brendan Eitz, Former Loyola Women's Coach
    4. Manhattan College- Michael Swanwick - Dominican College Head Coach
    5. Northeastern University- Brendan Donahue- Former Assistant
    6. Sacred Heart University - Joe Barroso Women's coach at Sacred Heart
    7. St. Bonnaventure University - ???
    8. University of Central Florida - Brent Erwin, assitant coach at SMU
    9. University of Dayton - Dennis Currier, Former Head Coach - Incarnate Word
    10. University of Illinois-Chicago - John Trask, FC Dallas Assistant (MLS)
    11. US Naval Academy - Rich Miranda, Naval Academy Assistant
    12. Xavier University - Dave Schureck, University of Dayton Head Coach
    13. Lipscomb University - ????
    14. University of Hartford - ????
    15. Colgate University - ????

I did not know that Hartford was looking for a coach?
    What is the deal at Colgate?

6. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Mike Doherty's been there for 20 or so years. Tough program to coach. Expensive school. Few (to no) athletic scholarships. High academic standards. American's entry into the Patriot League (along with its scholarship sports) changed the playing field for the likes of Colgate. Maybe they can get former assistant (currently Northwestern assistant) Eric Ronning back. He'd be a good pick.

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Colgate Alumni Rob Stone??? On a more serious note, I seem to remember an article in SI about Colgate Soccer. IIRC it was a tribute match to a player or something.

8. ussocrfan

ussocrfan New Member

May 2, 2005
    I believe the article was about a few guys that played at Colgate whom died in 9/11 if I remember correctly.

9. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Eric would be a good pick...he seems like an honest young guy who works very hard...though as a veteran of the scene, I do get a kick out of some of these young assistants who sometimes get these labels as stars. If you look at his bio, he was at Colgate for a few years and never seemed to get their program anywhere or attract any top players....it sounds like he does quite a bit at Nwestern, but Lenahan has turned around other programs without Ronning at his side, so the question is...is he riding Tims coat tails... or is he really a good coach? From all I know of Doherty, he left it all to Eric to run, and you see the results...not great.Just a thought. Eric should get it and I hope it goes to a deserving assistant who has paid his dues.

10. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Like I said. Colgate's a very difficult recruiting sell. It's not an Ivy, but likes to think it is. It's not so much about an assistant being a star, as much as it is about the type of coach who even has the skill set and/or desire to coach in a program with lots of limitations.

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Colgate is even harder to sell than an Ivy or other top academic schools. It has very high academic standars for admissions and for its students. There are no scholarships, as previously mentioned. Also it is in Hamilton, NY. Compare Hamilton to Palo Alto or Chapel Hill and there is not much comparison. It takes a special kid to want to study hard, play hard and live in a small town.

12. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Quite preppy and draws the Ivy rejects and wait-listed.

An absolute storybook setting, until the Lake-Effect Snows arrive in the late
    Fall and bury the place. Only activity is to stay inside and drink, drink, drink. My son transferred out, went to a huge urban school, and was happy.

13. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Colgate made the Patriot League playoffs for 10 years straight until Ronning left and then they haven't made it since. It should be a no-brainer for Colgate. Lenahan's assistants have done well at other schools.

14. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Anytime you can get an alumn into coach, it makes sense....Freitag at IU Slacedo at UCLA, even guys like JIm Boheim and Roy Williams in hoops.....I did not know that about teh Patriot League playoffs. A tough little league in its on right, but to not make the playoffs especially with the predicament the service academies put themselves in, is inexcusable. By the way, I hear that they may be getting scholarships....doe mean they and AU are the only two, or does soemoen else in the league have them. Is Ronning american...I noticed he spells the name with a K, like a scandanavian guy would?? I assume that he is since mostly american kids go to Colgate. Who else would be in on that job? Do you think Glenn Mayernick may still want to coach college in upstate NY?? I know he was trying to a few years back

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Intersting that he says Ohio as one of teh states he will target. Did SMU have Ohio players on there roster...I dont think so. He also fails to mention Georgia as a target state, which I think is a mistake......the gamecocks made a killing off of that stae (as did Clemson) for a few years and both are now out of the loop with getting players form there. Although SMU did fare well in the sunshine state with Luichi and the Vasquez kid...amoingst others. I dont see him getting any players out of Alabama.

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Ronning is for sure an American from Connecticut. Spent eight years up there as an alum and assistant. The right fit for the program. I believe scholarships are there now. So you'll have a coach that played there, coach there, went on to coach at a higher level in the Big Ten, and has experience recruiting with scholarship. There shouldn't even be a search.

18. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    If you were Ian Mc Intyre at hartwick, would you look into Colgate...nmot to far from where he is now, a lot more stability......what about the guy at Binghamton?? They have won quite a bit and he is up there as well...would you call that a lateral move???

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, it's really worked out well for UVa, huh?
    Didn't you just advocate guys coaching at their alma mater?

20. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Good point....but I also advocate guys staying employed and that is a sinking ship that he is directing right now...good point though.

21. deacon

deacon New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Former BGU coach will become next coach at SBU

22. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Any word on who is going to get the Hartford job?

23. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    Or the Lipscomb job?

24. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Mel Mahler to St. Bonaventure? He is a good man.

25. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Mel Mahler named men's soccer coach

Veteran mentor led Bowling Green to three NCAA appearances

May 13, 2005

ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. - Mel Mahler has been named men's soccer coach at St. Bonaventure University, Director of Athletics Dr. Ron Zwierlein announced on Friday, May 13.

Mahler brings 26 years of coaching experience to St. Bonaventure, including 10 seasons as head coach at Bowling Green. He replaces Bill Brady, who coached the Bonnies for the past six seasons before leaving for Greensboro (N.C.) College last month.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/stories/051305aae.html