Open Cup rally on Tuesday at The Green Turtle

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by KyleSheldon, Aug 31, 2009.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's great if the main objective is to get people to the HH's and not the game itself.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough.

*plonk*

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they were selling the $12 tickets at the happy hours, so hopefully they're doing both... getting folks that can Metro to a happy hour after work to buy tickets and to Metro out to RFK for the game (and $2 beers) after work on Wednesday.

4. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Now is the time to hit returning students--wallets are at their fattest now. We had a couple of interns in my office who attended the last college night or whatever it's called, they were all first timers and said they had a great time. Question, do DCU SGs have college "chapters" or anything like that?

Coming off that match on Sat, this is going to be a great one to be at.

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If that's the case then good....

6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the mission to get exposure to that segment of the market, and to sell tickets, yes. Because of the new generations' general acceptance of soccer as a mainstream sport, the expendable income, and the happy hour party mentality that is similar to tailgating, etc, I think this is a wise marketing strategy. There aren't many segments of the market that are tailor-made for selling weeknights, other than corporate, and those are going to die off in the current climate.

I'm not sure how much of a bump they can expect, but it's about the only game in town to market these games, I think, and weeknight games aren't going to go away.

As for Kilroy's, like I said, it prob just falls outside this very sharply focused effort.

A good question that I was already thinking. It seems like a SG could partner with greek orgs on campuses and really make a killing on getting poeple to the game, if not even selling memberships. It seems like a natural marriage to me, but I'm not involved, so I don't like to ask questions and create work for other people.

Not many teams have the ability to take this unique approach, because few are located in a place with public transit and a LOT of colleges in their grasp. I'm interested to see how it pans out.

7. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of small colleges, though. We're not talking Boston.

8. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Eh, they're not that small.

Both GW and Georgetown have ~10k students. Not sure on the grad/undergrad breakdown, but that's not exactly chump change. Plus you've got Maryland just up the road...

9. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know Boston's numbers, but the DC metro area has more than most places, particularly if Maryland and Mason are in the mix, but even if not:

Maryland, College Park - 26,000 undergrads, 37,000 total
    Mason - 18,500 undergrads, 30,000 total
    GW - 10,000+ undergrads, 24,000+ total
    Georgetown - 7,000+ undergrads, 15,000+ total
    Howard - 11,000 or so total
    American - 6,000 undergrads, 8,000 total
    UDC - 5,000 undergrads
    Catholic - 3,000 undergrads, 6,000 total
    Galludet - 1,000 undergrads

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever thought about announcing one of these HHs more than just a few hours before thay occur so people can change their plans?
    :rolleyes:

and the first SG that alligns itself with a fraternity, I'm getting a refund from ...... now, a sorority, we might be able to talk ;)

11. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Growing up in Virginia, I never ever thought of DC as a college town. In fact, quite the opposite -- I thought it was odd that DC didn't have a huge university.

I guess I had ignored UMd...but I'm going to leave it at that ;). Mason is (was?) a commuter school, so I ignored that growing up.

12. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    The thought of a nice drink in the afternoon isn't enough to make you drop all your plans?

13. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Why not create a SSS (Soccer Specific Sorority) or SSFraternity?

14. Coffin

Coffin New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    College Students - Why not just join an SG for the love of the game? (I did.) Then you can incorporate that into your ritual. (However depraved that may be...)

15. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    if a SG ever teams up with a frat, im creating the 500 level supporter group to stay as far away from that as possible

16. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about Real World-ers?

:p

17. Coffin

Coffin New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed!

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

19. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was worth it!

;)

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be if my other plans weren't working late so I could take off Thursday morning to recover from my celebratory hangover :D

21. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since the idea was in my post, I'll just say that I didn't suggest "alligning", or "teaming" or anything else with a specific greek organization.

I said, organizationS, plural, and I suppose I meant more in terms of dealing with them all through an umbrella organization at each campus to mine them for new members. There would be no association with any greek group at all, just mining them for membership candidates.

So the greeks members can also become members of a SG, a totally new affliliation.

I would hope nobody in my chosen SG finds out that I also have a BJ's wholesale card and decides to revoke my membership. :rolleyes: ;)

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OT: Boston's insane in this regard by any standard, and thus is a poor thing to compare to. Nothing in the US compares to Boston.

Within the 128/95 arc (basically, Boston's equivalent of the Capitol Beltway, there are ~50 colleges of different types (and that's not counting affiliated professional schools as separate institutions -- Harvard, Harvard Medical, Harvard Law, etc., all count as one), six with over 10,000 students and three with over 20,000; extend your radius another 15 miles out and you have about 100 colleges with about 250,000 students total.

Thus the funny line in This Is Spinal Tap when their show in Boston gets cancelled; their manager tells them "I wouldn't worry about it -- it's not a big college town."

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hey? Can't you use that to get discount brewskis?

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No man, at least not in MD.

Besides, I can just go to United weeknight games for cheap beer.

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ah, the Peoples Republic of Maryland, should've known....