Open Cup Metros vs DC United [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Can't be in Naperville ... what's the surface of the new Soldier Field?

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I tend to agree with you. The USSF being based in Chicago, would probably want the final held at home in the new Soldier Field, maybe as a double header with the Mexico game.

In anycase, Nathan Hales sounds good..... unless by that 1% chance I mentioned earlier, we do host it....

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Kentucky bluegrass..... similiar to what Yankee Stadium has....

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at the game, and Final is definitely at GS, 10/15 (a Wednesday of course), 8:00 kickoff.

I'd say attendance was around 4,200 or so if I had to guess.

5. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game tonight with our two outside backs, Edgar and Leich overlapping and attacking into the offensive third time and time again. Geuvara, Clark, and Gaven played great attacking and Pope and jolley were solid in the back. New Polish guy sucks as he has to be the most slow footed guy we have ever had. Magee should have subbed in at 1/2 time for this guy.

We definitely look a lot better moving the ball with Geuvara attacking and having a lot of touches. Actually played better without Clint tonight.

6. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Damn, what is it with your team and the last moments of a game against United this year....

Congrats and good luck in the final. I still despise your team though ;)

Bill

7. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Just got back from the game, great win for the metros! (I actually go to rutgers btw lol) Couldn't believe DC tied it up with only 10 on the field but we were lucky to get the late goal. I'd say there was around 4,000 people there, and they announced that the final would be at Giants Stadium. Good luck to the metros in the final!

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! WE ARE GOING TO THE US OPEN CUP FINAL!!!!!! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here at Giants Stadium. A final. A US Open Cup Final.

DC May have taken the 1st match, deflated them in the 2nd, but the third one was the most important. WE ARE GOING TO OUR FIRST CUP FINAL!

BRING ON THE FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    Finally. Good Lord, a Cup match for the Metros! For shame, anyone who could possibly have made it to the match but didn't.

How bad does it suck for our Polish international? But for a grab by the keeper, he would have gone from zero to hero and put us up 3-1.

For the most part, a good all around game by the Metros. We gave them a bit too much room and tried to do the possession game too early and it almost cost us.

Amado stepped up big. Showed that he has been in these situations before. Edmund is a definite improvement over having Digi in there. Richie Williams can stop any attack. Unfortunately, that includes ours. Rico wasn't as bad as he has been. Leitch was also an improvement over what we have seen of late from Zaide.

Everyone better be at GS on the 15th. Everyone of you that has been there from the beginning. Everyone that had given up hope that you would see this happen. This is the first real chance at hardware.

Thank you Bob!

10. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    aw man,,,,the fire r SOOO do 4 a metro beat down. 2 teams, closely matched and theyve beat us the past 50 times. the laws of probability r on our side.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If we get a result against San Jose -- even a point -- then Bob really has to weigh this new-found chemistry against Clint returning to the lineup.

On the other hand, would the team have played any better -- or worse -- with Clint in place of Juskowiak, who, by all accounts, contributed little to the result tonight, aside from getting fouled and earning a free kick?

Whatever Clint's problems, he remains a weapon to be used against our rivals for these championships. As was seen tonight, he's not alone in getting carded out matches to the detriment of his team. Let's hope this match and the one on sunday show Clint what a team can accomplish; let's hope he resolves to join that team for the remainder of the season. It really is a matter of attitude, as well as work-rate. As Ives pointed out in a recent article, Clint's recent work rate really can't be faulted.

Master of yourself; master of all.

Without Clint on the field, the team looked to itself, and came through. It figures, with no Clint to go to, they had to find other ways, and all the ways, to win the game. To paraphrase Lincoln, they 'disenthralled' themselves.

It never ceases to amaze me how much of this game lies in the mind.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    how lowd was the crowd (ESC)...... we couldn't hear them on the webcast.

13. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Actually, DC came to life when they went a man down, and the Metros fell asleep. It's amazing how often that happens when a team goes a man down. There was a long stretch where DC was beating the Metros to every ball. Finally, near the end, we started putting the pressure on, which led to the goal. And their inexperienced keeper played well. He had a better game than Johnny Walker who should've held onto Hristo's cross which led to the DC's 2nd goal.

But it was a great finish, again....That says something about the coach.

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If the Final really is going to be at the Swamp, is there anyway the ESC could organize a campaign to get the NFL lines off the field for this really major event? We need to look into this, with or without FO cooperation. Letters to the editors, email, maybe even take out an ad if we can raise the $$.

We also need to bring friends and family to the match. While I made the quarter final, I wasn't able to make this one. But a Wed night at the Swamp is a sure thing, even if I have to work till 7 pm. I'm still amazed that we will host this match; it would be grand to drum up enough interest to get over 20k to show up.

15. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    The whole crowd (not just ESC) was loud. Those metal bleachers are great for making noise. The handful of DC guys trying to chant behind the DC bench sounded pathetic.

16. bobf

bobf Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Maplewood, NJ
    Richie Williams looked very tired in the end. couldn't connect on passes, couldn't see the field any more. We had a 4 on 3 break and he slowed the play up. Felt like he should have been subbed for. Up a guy, use at least one more sub to push the advantage. Bradley is to blame. Stoichkov out there at the end raised the danger level on counters. With Stewart and Convey, we were at risk until we got the 3rd goal. Should not have played so defensively up a man.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Can you blame them? Their team choked in the most important game in the three game stretch.

They were good sports though in the end. There wasn't much noise coming from the center red section - I was trying to get things going but to no avail.

18. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i was listening to the 2nd half until the webcast was shutoff it was 2-2 then i moved to the MLS site to see the score and it was already 3-2 six minutes into injury time

during the 1st half i watched the Cubs at Atlanta and the USA women Vs Norway at the WWC quarter final

the Fire has been our black sheep for quite a while but a cup final has it's own rules so we might beat them as well

19. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Too bad they're not going to play at Rutgers again. It's such a nice looking field. The players must love it.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Random thoughts:
    - I was SO wrong about Wolyniec at the start of the season.
    - These DC players are a violent bunch. Some of these guys should play defensive tackle for the Giants.
    - Agree with jack921: Rutgers is such a nice place. Good thing I left early, though, I got lost driving around New Brunswick/East Brunswick/middle of nowhere/Planet Mars, New Jersey for almost an hour. Remind me next time to bring a compass.
    - That the Metros won in Mathis' absence ought to be very peculiar.
    - Ten-man DCU should not be taken for granted, Metros still need to play defense.
    - Looks like every one of us is going to need to bring ten friends each to Giants Stadium, because we're exorcising some demons on the fifteenth and we need all the help we can get. ;)
    - Their emergency keeper is frightening. No third-stringer can be that good.

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm glad the team was able to win.....especially without Mathis. Impressive to score 3 goals in his absence.

As far as I'm concerned, Mathis can take a hike. His act his old and tired.....sit his ass on the bench. Start Wooley and Magee.

MFO has 2 full weeks to promote this match. Let's see what they do.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Too bad Lazer isn't there to promote the game anymore. I'm sad now. :(

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game, and I almost never say that. Maybe not the best technically, but great end-to-end action and the offense clicked often. The better team won. And yes, I spoke to a couple of Metro management people at halftime and they both said that the final is at GS on the 15th. So Metro's first Cup final will be at home -- nice payoff for the long-time suffering fans.

Some general thoughts:
    -- No DiGi, no Lisi, and no Ziadie even though all were available.
    -- Gaven played as a midfielder and generally was decent. He, Guevara, and Clark seemed to click in a way that we've been lacking.
    -- That may have been the best game that Leitch has had as a Metro. Strong defending against Convey, and some good timely runs into the offense.
    -- Edgar had a beautiful cross on the first goal, and made some nice moves on the sideline, but he's becoming the 2003 version of Petter Villegas. There's talent there, but you never know what you're going to get from play to play.
    -- DC's first-half goal was, I think, the only shot on goal they had the entire first half.
    -- Metro's second goal and the Warren ejection were both set up by very bad defensive-third giveaways by DC. I think Petke was the culprit in both.
    -- Warren had to tackle Juskoviak on the play where he got ejected or else the Pole scores. As it was, he almost saved the game for DC.
    -- Speaking of the Pole, he was terrible. I was sitting at midfield right in front of the press box, and when Magee replaced him at 78', one of the reporters said, "Now the Metrostars will play 11 on 10". Andrej was that bad.
    -- DC had two 2-on-1 breakaways after 80' with Stoitchkov and Cerritos, but failed to get a shot on goal from either.
    -- Geddes made two great stops -- one on Williams, the other on Guevara -- before Woly scored through traffic. I don't think he saw the shot until it was past him.

Stop Woly hatin', Bob hatin', or Guevara hatin'. We've broken through and made a final.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I could've sworn that that first attempt on the winning goal crossed the line. Fortunately for us it didn't need to.