Open Cup LA - Dallas [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kryptonite, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA 4 - Dallas 1

So now the final will either be held in Cal St. Fullerton's Titan Stadium, or Columbus. I'm gonna go the safe route, and say that if KC wins, they're gonna play the final on the road. However, that'll be KC's 3rd straight away game and LA's 2nd home game in 3 straight.

Attendance was listed at 3,132, so if we get more than 5K, we should be safe. We can't use the Jim Smith Method where season ticket holders are automatically counted, because game D is the playoff game.

The good thing is, the final is Saturday, October 26th or Sunday, October 27th. If we host the final, expect a shitload of postcards. ;)
    So, i'd say the best thing to do would be to bring a few friends along and hope for a good win.

2. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it decided where the match will be?

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    who knows? i thought it was mentioned in the dispatch (hunter's column) that as the higher seed that la would have the option to hold it or not. But from the way people are talking it seems if we pull more than 5k we have a pretty good chance of hosting it.
    anyhow, i think we have played la better than dallas this season, and we have played them well through history, so if we win i think this is a decent matchup.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, if we beat LA in attendance, we should have as fair a shake at hosting as they do. They only got 3K, if we get at least 5-6K, we should show that to the USSF and tell them our fans will show up in force. Which they should show up in force, since the final is scheduled for a saturday or sunday.

5. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    One would expect it to be a night game if it's on Saturday as Ohio State plays Penn State at home as either a noon start on ESPN or a 3:30 start on ABC. If both teams are start ranked, it will be likely be a 3:30 start for ABC.

Otherwise, an afternoon game on Sunday might keep the chill out of the air....

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The result I hope for next Tuesday:

Mackems stuffed by Boro;

Crew takes care of the Wizards.

7. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Somehow there has to be an effort to get people to show up on Tuesday. A crowd of 10,000 would be good.

8. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Please for the love of God promote this game. I'm 10,000 miles away after deploying for 3 months. I'd give both you-know-what's to be there for the cup final, but I can't.

So Mr Smith and your crew: Please, please, please, please, please promote this semi-final so that the Crew can have a home cup final...

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A crowd of 10K would be excellent.

10. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Why can't the Crew promote games properly? It's quite obvious, if the Crew win, they get the home final. If that wasn't the case, US Soccer would have awarded the final to L.A. already. Why couldn't free vouchers have been mailed to ticket holders anyway?

11. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I've not seen a single advert for this match, they'll be lucky to get 1k.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    they seriously haven't adverised this at all?! wtf? not only do we need a good crowd to support the boys ro victory, but we then would have a chance to host the championship game. there is no reason not to be promoting the hell outta this game.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was a blurb in today's dispatch saying that the open cup game is scheduled for a saturday or sunday. But because of the All-American Quarter Horse finals, for the Crew to host the game, they'd have to bump it up to a Thursday. US Soccer wouldn't like that, and so that may cost us the chance to host.

Near the bottom

Interesting thing.. That article lists September 26th and 27th, which are a Thursday and Friday, or something like that... However, I believe the final is supposed to be in October.

Probably just a dispatch mistake.

14. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting blurbs...half were soccer-related.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goddamn, i swear i ************ing hate this.... where will the OC final be? who's in the playoffs?

from Jeff Bradley's column...

The crummy crowd for the Galaxy-Burn Open Cup game (3 and change) has me saying out loud, "Winner of Columbus-KC gets the final." Any objections?

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/spot0906bradley.html

16. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    One of the greatest things about American soccer and nobody is bothered to show up. It shows how screwed up this league is.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this post with interest because I had the exact same reaction to the semi in LA - I was there with the dedicated hard-core 3,200+, but where the heck was everybody else? There was virtually no pre-game promotion of the event.

I think (but am not sure) that this is a USSF event, not MLS, and other than the player prize money the team/league doesn't get anything from the gate - hence I don't think they really care and therefore make little or no effort to promote it. It looks like USSF (if that's who runs the event) is even WORSE than MLS at promoting games - and that sure is a hard concept.

If Crew fans can turn out in numbers, you sure deserve the game at home. But does that mean you'll get it? Who knows. At one point I thought there was some kind of bid process going on between LA and NE last year - don't know if that is true this year or not.

I don't have a favorite in the game tomorrow, but I do wish you all the luck in the world in turning out a respectable crowd to watch what has become a VERY entertaining event.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds about true. All of it.

19. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Ya know, if the club made Tuesday's match Buck-A-Brat night......