Onyewu - Wigan v. Newcastle 2/25 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ddw31089, Feb 25, 2007.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gooch gets the start.

6' - Little to happen in the game. Gooch has won a few headers at the back.

2. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Great cross by Duff and Martin has a free header that hits him in the face and goes wide.

3. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gooch and Wigans centre forward are getting physical with each other. Ref gave Gooch a talking to a few minutes back and now he wins a foul as the Wigan player and Gooch get tangled and Gooch gets thrown to the ground.

4. aztecstorres

aztecstorres New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    San Diego
    As expected they are butchering his name. Ref gives a talking to him.

5. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Some nice clearances by Gooch early.

Solano had a penalty saved by Filan. Still scoreless.

6. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    34', 0-0

So far, so Gooch

7. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    penalty given to Newcastle Sibierski went down

then it was saved!!

then a good MArtins shot saved a minute later

a pretty exciting game to watch

8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    heskey off

martins was limping earlier now his arm is injured

Newcastle is dropping like flies this season they've had the most players on the injury list all season I think

9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    1-0 Taylor for Wigan. 40'

Those watching...was Gooch at fault at all?

10. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    nice goal from taylor off a free kick

11. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago

at fault, in the foul was called on him in a very dangerous area. Looked like a BS call though.

12. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    didn't see the foul or who commited it but no one was at fualt for the actual goal it was a brilliant free kick into the side netting Given had no chance

13. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Gooch gave away the free kick

14. zico21

zico21 Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Jamestown, NY
    Gooch foul resulted in goal from free kick. Commentator (Sirius) claim "stupid foul".

15. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    The Wigan player had already gotten rid of the ball and just kind of fell down. The TV commentator didn't seem convinced at all that it was a foul. But after the soft penalty given to Newcastle, it would be unseemly to complain on this one.

16. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hardly looked purposeful, and it was a very soft call, but it should've never happened. It was a stupid clumsy foul.

17. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Its tough, because Roeder has said that he wants Gooch to be the 'hard guy', and to bring a toughness to the Defense that wasn't there.

In a perfect world, a defender could do that- and have perfect technique and never foul a guy. But in reality, you are going to give up a few more fouls (but you hope the overall play outweighs the occasional free kick opportunities).

Sounds like its been a pretty even game so far. Doesn't sound like a lot of scoring chances- and both teams had one. Newcastle didn't convert theirs (better one), but Wigan did.

I would think Roeder wouldn't be too terribly disappointed with his D at this point. Depends what 2nd half brings.

18. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I just turned it on...was that Gooch that lost #10 for Wigan and allowed him a free header? Also right at the end of the half Gooch was marking #10 and doing a good job and Bramble came over and kicked him in the shin to give Wigan another free kick.

19. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4th minute of added time -

another week call against Gooch. This time the free kick is dealt with, but that was the 3rd free kick in a dangerous position I saw Gooch give up in the first half. The poor guy has a target on his jersey or something.

Other than that, his play has been great. He's been marking well and had several last man clearances as well. It's just tough to look past those big fouls.

20. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Hed, that last one was against Bramble. Gooch didn't do a thing wrong and Bramble came over and kicked the guy in the shin.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I know that Gooch never actually fouls anyone, but the guy needs less angry stares and more moving of the feet.

22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Who was to blame on the marking (on the free header...almost 2-0)? near halftime?

23. aztecstorres

aztecstorres New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    San Diego
    Its hard to tell..if you pressed me I would say it was Goochs fault but I don't know for sure if that was his man he marked. Why not watch this game yourself? www.myp2p.eu and download TVants.

24. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I thought Gooch played a below average fast half. He left a Wigan player a completely free header in the 3-4 minute of extra time (though another Newcastle player should share some of the blame) and he got beat by a cutback and Wigan had a dangerous shot after some lazy/poor footwork by Gooch.

He did win some headers but he looks a bit uninterested and slow to react IMO.

25. Willy23

Willy23 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Connecticut
    mac:mad::(