Onyewu to Anderlecht?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ncguy, Jun 24, 2005.

1. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    Anything more than rumor on Gooch to Anderlecht? I figured him to be leaving Belgium during this window. It's been too quiet though.

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Re: Onyewu?

What rumor is that? Haven't seen that anywhere...

3. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

From panicfc on the Belgium board: "Rumor I heard from a close US Source - Gooch goes to Anderlecht. I am guessing this is the Baseggio exchange."
    I haven't seen it any where else that's why i'm fishing here. Nothing on the Anderlecht site.

4. kemiiyan

kemiiyan New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    gainesville

what is going on with him now??....what is up with his knees, does anyone know?

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rumor is he is going to be exchanged for Baseggio, but its only in the rumor stage. Heard from a US source in South Carolina that said Gooch was on his way, just waiting till July for it to be done.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

I guess that is a good thing. Anderlecht frequently trolled for talent by the big leagues (seems like every year a couple players at least), and it would be champions league.

However, I don't know if I even want Gooch playing more games going into a World Cup year. Also, Liege is a pretty good window for showcase...I wonder how much better Anderlecht really is...I suppose a little, but not a lot?

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if they improve their defense and get a new forward they could probably be a Champions league team.

Plus a lot of scouts will be there to watch young Vincent Kompany, his probable partner in central defense.

8. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought Baseggio was pretty highly rated by Anderlecht... if this is a straight-up exchange, then that shows how strong Gooch's reputation is in Belgium.

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Baseggio was highly rated. He had a poor season and wanted to leave, and didn't play as much as he had in the past, and now he wants out.

He thought he could go to Italy, but alas no interest.

10. CJCourtney

CJCourtney Member

United States
    Aug 29, 2000
    Greece

As always, Eddie is well informed.

This deal should be finalized in a week or two. Nice move for Gooch since he'll get better support left and right plus more exposure in Europe.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I'll add that Baseggio, although Belgian born, has Italian parents and grew up in the an ethnic Italian household. This explains his interest in Serie A.

He has been capped by Belgium but the soon to be 29 year old had a down year with Anderlecht in 2,004-05. His best year was 2,001-02 when he scored 10 goals in Jupiler and 1 in the Champions League.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

inter milan made a halfhearted move for him last summer

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Kompany/Gooch is one helluva a big, strong, talented top young prospect central D. I'm almost afraid that they could go far in Europe, and we could be looking at a tired Gooch come next summer..

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

To what extent did missing the UEFA Cup force Standard Liege's hand in this? I'd think that played a major part- Otherwise, why wouldn't they hold onto to a guy who- if he shows well next season and at the World Cup- could be worth a mint in transfer fees....

15. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego

cuz his contract is up at the end of 2006

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oh.

my.

god.

make up your mind: do you want our boys playing in the biggest games in europe or do you want them sunning themselves on a bicycle? i can't believe you, of all people, are trying to find the negative in a gooch upward move

i'm sorry jri, there is just way to much negativism in the US soccer fandom, half of it manufactured for no good reason... this should be fun

besides, two months from now you'll finally pay for BSSC membership so you can have a mauves avatar :D

17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I might be late, but maybe he is Kompany's replacement, After all the rumours flying around.

18. BG001

BG001 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: Onyewu to Anderlecht

If this is true, it's great news. Gooch playing for Anderlecht will get him a chance to play against the best in Europe in the Champions League. He'll also get to play on the best team in Belgium with top notch players around him. If he does well at Anderlecht, there's no reason to believe that he couldn't move on to bigger and better things.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Re: Onyewu to Anderlecht

First, I think Gooch is in a good situation with Liege right now because he's become settled with the team.

Now... if the rumors are true adn he moves to Anderlecht, that is great as far as I'm concerned. This is different than most of hte transfers of USA players because the team signing him already knows his quality and has decided they want/need him. It's not like players from MLS where many coaches apparetly still don't really know what they are getting.

Anderlecht are a big club from a smaller pond in Europe, but they've consistently had good players and good teams over the years. They have a good reputation adn regularly play in Europe.

So if it happens, best of luck to Onyewu.

As for those who worry it will make him tired for the next world cup...
    Good grief, there are much more important things to worry about.
    Next we'll be worrying that those players from MLS who go to Germany won't have had enough games recently to get their skills sharp.

It's not like he'll have to play a club match on Wednesday then fly to meet with his teammates for a World Cup match on Saturday.
    Give a couple weeks of less activity and he'll be fine.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gooch to Mauves.... the Anderlecht fans aren't sure about it happening, but my source is pretty strong.

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Did you really elbow Sepp Blatter?

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't put it in my sig if it wasn't true.

1999 Women's world cup, mass of people trying to get on an elevator, i feel someone push my right shoulder, instinct takes over and I bring the elbow back - wack! Turn around "Sorry, sorry to push you" I give him a face like, you are lucky I didn't just destroy you old man. Pelé looks at me and laughs, a few in the US delegation pat me on the back and thank me.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Blue- slow down buddy.

First, revisit '02. How can a team like France- with 3x the talent the US- bomb out of the first round, and the US go the final 8?

There are several reasons- of course- but one sure reason was that the long Euro season really took its toll on some players. They came into the Cup (all teams) with injuries...some of which a function of fatigue. Portugal had issues too.

Of course, I am in favor of an 'upward move' for Gooch (sheesh- I usually get criticized for even mentioning it), but I also want to see our Nat. team do well in '06. And I think having a well-rested team is a material (but not the only part) of that equation.

I am all for Gooch playing Europe after that......

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Pardon my ignorance, but is Mauves another name for Anderlecht or is it another team?

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yes, that is anderlecht's nickname