Onyewu: Standard Liege v. Mons-Bergen (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BWogs, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is a good lesson for every player out there. If you go out and do your job well, game after game, no matter what the pecking order has been, the coach just has to notice you. And in the case of Gooch, it sounds like Arena just has to bring him into camp from now on (unless there's a club-Nats conflict).

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Thanks hart.

Goal #1 is the Gooch's best scoring tactic. He's fast and tall and a monster in the air. Note the far post to near post run and that the near post space was opened up by a dummy runner. Gooch then scores of the side of his head. 90% of players who are good in the air try to take that shot with their forhead but Gooch doesn't mind taking it off the ridge above his temple.

As far as the yellow goes, that's just gooch's game. He tends to pick those up. All defenders do but with Gooch it seems to happen more often. Some stats on that would be nice to see. I can't see him playing DM on a permanent basis.

3. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    He played once DM before Curbelo and Bisconti were back.

That's not a natural position for him. He's a good stopper offensive-minded, he actually need a DM to cover his back when he leaves the line

4. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
  5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    You have got to be kidding me, he's like the American Kanu ;)

6. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    tHANKS!

7. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    well, they're both from Nigeria, so that makes lots of sense.

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Gooch was born in the States, though his parents are from Nigeria

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Gooch is now the 3rd leading scorer on his team (with 2 goals!) and 2nd in points (next to Tichte Mohammed) for "Man of the Match" for all games combined. (Mohammed is the team's leading scorer with 5 goals- but Gooch has gained on him rapidly in recent weeks in the MOTM "competition")

Standard Liege now tied for 4th in Jupiler League..

10. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Thanks for those clips! They're very brief but they allow us to see he's making major contributions in a variety of ways - and that's just on offense. I was pleased to hear he has a teammate named Kovalenko. You always want someone with a name like that on your side, not as an opponent.

Your opinions may vary.....

:rolleyes:

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    OMFG..

I just saw the 3rd clip..

Are you freakin' kidding me?

The guy is built like der Terminator, and he pulls a Frankie Hedjuk at his best move/in his prime and cross ...after scoring 2 goals already....after being a beast on defense..

Gooch is not left-footed, correct? If so, it makes this all even more amazing. Even if he is...it is pretty unreal...

Seriously, OMFG.....some big clubs see those clip, and they have GOT to be interested...that is amazing that a central defender w/his size can DO THAT..

12. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Alright, after seeing the clips... you're right Gooch should not be a Dmid... how about A-mid? right mid? Attacker? :)

Just kidding... well sort of.

Now the first goal was off a set piece, so no suprise he's up field.

But on the 2nd, it's a deep throw, but he's pretty far upfield for a central defender... and on the 3rd, he's almost up as a front runner.

Is Gooch really playing central defense?
    OR does he start out as a central defender, but have free reign to go upfield when he wants to... because I don't know many central defenders that would have been in the position to get that ball for goal #3... much less get th ball near the corner flag, spin and put in a lovely cross.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    By the way, did anyone else notice that in Goal #3, Gooch apparenty followed the ball and came to the center after making the cross... he's back in the picture (bottom right) when the goal celebration begins.

He didn't just make the cross and watch...

:)

14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Correct - parents are from Nigeria... but Oguchi was born on May 13, 1982 in Olney, Maryland.

15. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    Is it me or does this guy always have exceptional games in which he was either one of the key players or the best player on the field? This is a telling sign. He's conssitently good which could only mean great things lie in store for this kid.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    OK, I have a question. What did Maryland trade Africa to get senior Onyewu and mama Adu? Because we rooked 'em.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Well we didn't trade Nigeria anything for Adu
    *whisper* - he was born in Ghana.*end whisper*
    :D

18. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    He often has great impact moving up late in the game. It's a unique talent and option that can be very disruptive. Many posters say he's been used this way since college. Why mess with something that's been successful everywhere he's played and gives the manager an asymetrical weapon for late in the game?

The assist on the last goal was magical. And the volley was on the left, too. If he's right footed, that would be, how you say, sick! Thanks for the clips, OmiKell.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Youre right, it gives the coach a method of changing the formation and playing style without requiring a substitution... and yes he's been doing it since his college days at Clemson (at least)

20. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    Ouch! Did you have to mention Clemson?

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Which is why I said "Africa." Both Ghana and Nigeria are in that continent, it turns out.

22. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego

:confused:

Gooch was born in Washington DC.

23. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg

He's a full CD, but... since Standard Liege has a hard time scoring this year (They lost both MPenza and Datti), he's often asked to bring some weight to the attack.

The trade goal was obvious, they wanted more technical players (Wamberto from Ajax, Concecao from Lazio, now Milan Rapaic) than physical ones. Last year, everything relied on long ball sent to MPenza. The guy was able (and still is, cf. Hamburg last results) to challenge every balls between the opponent keeper and his defence.

It appears now for Standard Liege that you cannot replace an Emile MPenza by 3 star dribblers if you have no one to finish.

Today, the only guy able to easily finish an action is Gooch, ... but he's required in defense. He can take risks against Mons, but he will not be able to do so against Anderlecht this Wednesday.

24. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    It won't really ever stop Stan, people read what they want to read. Welcome to BigSoccer newbie ;)

25. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Oops...my bad.
    My excuse it is was 1AM and I was having trouble sleeping... :)