News: Onyewu signs with AC Milan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jul 7, 2009.

1. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. StamfordBridgeView

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they really butchered it.

Really, I dont know how busy they are, but freaking read your scripts ahead of time, if you dont know the name, ask somebody.

And it wasnt even the main show. Whoever was doing updates during "First Take" screwed it up. They talk for less than 2 knutes every 20 or so, and they had one name to learn new (the others being such hard names as "Lebron James" and "Ryan Howard".. come on...

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  4. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope C. Davies doesn't actually talk like that.

5. tkmayfie

tkmayfie New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This is pretty stunning. Makes me harken back to when Timmay was with the Metros. We all had an idea he was going to Europe but when we all heard Man U our jaws were dropped to the floor. I remember at the height of the rumors he got called into a friendly match for the US vs Mexico and made a big save in the first couple minutes, the crowd (an me in the living room) went crazzzzzyyyy. Can't wait to see Gooch in black and red

6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    This brings us close to the level of Mexico, who have Marquez at Barcelona.

7. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exciting. It is huge for Gooch and for US Soccer. Hopefully this can result in more US players getting signed by big squads. It is impossible to overstate how important the Confed Cup was for the USMNT and its players.

8. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Who has been a starter for years. Just saying.

9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Yup. That's why I said "close." Plus they have Vela at Arsenal.

10. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean after the '94 world cup. It would be something if Padova had picked up Lalas after the world cup in France. Alexi didn't play a single minute.

11. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what number he will be? I wanted to order a Jersey.

12. Statman Crothers

Statman Crothers New Member

Jun 7, 2005

Clarification #1: Standard Liege shut out Liverpool in the first leg of the CL qualifier with Oguchi Onyewu unavailable to play because of a red card he had earned the previous season against Zenit St. Petersburg.

Standard Liege came close to clobbering an over-matched Liverpool by 2-3 goals that game (one PK saved by Liverpool goalkeeper Reina, one shot palmed back from behind the goal line by Reina, and other opportunities).

Clarification #2: Tim Howard was chosen to start by Manchester United in the prime of his playing career in 2003/2004 at the age of 24. Howard went straight from mid-season MLS/MetroStars to start for Manchester United. That was when there were a lot of US players in the Premier League. He immediately beat out aging/annoying Fabien Barthez for the starting job. Barthez never played another game for Manchester United. Howard played in the Community Shield opener against Arsenal and then went on to start 24 out of the first 26 games of the season in the Premier League and 31 out of 38 Premier League games overall.

He was voted into the PFA team of the season. He had he had good company --- Lauren, Terry, Campbell, A. Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Vieira, Pires, van Nistelrooy, and Henry. This was the year that Arsenal didn't lose a single game with "rookie" Jens Lehmann in goal. Lehmann joined Arsenal that same month of July 2003 and replaced David Seaman in goal.

Apropos center backs --- Howard initially gave up 15 goals in 20 games before slumping to allow 13 goals in 5 games. He then started to get benched regularly --- but it was a superb start. Quiz: guess precisely when Rio Ferdinand started to serve his long suspension for failing to be available for a drug test? Center back Ferdinand just had a wedding that cost 5 million pounds.

This all may explain Landon Donovan's recently renewed interested in playing in Europe after his strong Confederations Cup performances.

[​IMG]
    Why no US player until now is
    playing for a top-rated Euro Team

Clarification #3: Tim Howard drove a BMW in MLS and in the EPL that initial year. Onyewu likely will need to purchase an Audi.

13. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 is available :(

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet they can pronounce Daisuke Matsuzaka with out fault

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006

This was only a matter of time. Playa Hate.

16. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Josh Elliott knows what he is talking about at least a little.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    What the heck did you actually clarify? The 2nd leg at Liverpool, Onyewu played VERY well.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The only thing that requires clarification is Statman Crothers reasons for plotting Gooch's demise.

19. supershark

supershark New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    From Ohio, now Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

He also failed to read that I was discussing field players. Otherwise I would have said Howard, Friedel, et al. Goalkeeping is off the radar and like comparing apples to oranges when comparing to field players. Sure you have to be a knowledgeable soccer player to play in goal at that level, but being a field player takes a different sense. Fundamentally shot stopping, snaring crosses, and reading through balls doesn't change, whereas playing styles as a field player can vary greatly.

And to nitpick, 24 as a goalkeeper isn't exactly prime maturity age as a goalkeeper. Some are good enough at that age (Cech, Akinfeev, Casillas), but seasoning certainly helps. It's why Man U went after Van der Sar, Buffon remains a hot commodity among transfer rumors, and Shay Given was a major asset to Man City.

20. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I have to root for a super club now.

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Jonh-luke-a Pal-eee-uke-a

I did an americanized phonetic pronunciation for ya.

22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Charlie has a bit of street in him, but not much. He's from New Hampshire. He was fairly well spoken (for an athlete) when I interviewed him.

23. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he from Star Trek?

24. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Finally, a reason to watch a few Series A games on FSC. Never was quite able to get into them before now.

25. Gavroche

Gavroche New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Reading through his page, he's Tolstoy compared to your average 23 year-old on Twitter.